PDA

View Full Version : Rockland recreation area

creekcrappie
05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Went back to our same spot at rockland recreation area on old hickory lake. Me and my brother probably caught 100 gills each on bison trout magnets. Here is about 25 big male bluegills.The big males were still fairly deep, and they would not let my trout magnet hit the bottom. We took one big female home to see if she had eggs, and she did. I also caught about a 5 pound drum on a bison trout magnet. A lady was yelling at me to "get it in" while it was pulling drag. I tried to explane the concept of drag, ultralite fishing, and not just " cranking it in", but she did not listen. haha. We would have caught more, but my brothers rod broke while he was pulling free from a snag. So we had to go to bass pro shops in wader boots. Went home and realized that I was out of bison tms.

ttitan27
05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Very nice, I fried up a mess of gills last night.

MNfisher
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Nice fish!! Glad you are getting into fish!

Travis C.
05-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Good mess of fish you have there. I'll pass on a trick since you are fishing an area that I like to fish as well.

Keep a rod rigged for bass with a bluegill colored swim jig. My favorite is the KVD swim jig or if you wanted buy the skirt's and put the bluegill color on your own jigs you have. Add a single or double tail chartreuse trailer (gills have a hint of that color naturally on their tail) and steady crank that around where you're catching the gills late or early in the day.

I have caught some big bass doing that when the bluegill first move up and at night after they are spawning/post spawn. They'll eat the jig so deep that the jig will vanish once his mouth is closed. ;)

Alphahawk
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
You the man! Good mess of fish.

Regards