PDA

View Full Version : Reviews on D10T sit on top kayak

Transplanted Sportsman
05-21-2013, 09:15 AM
For a while now I have been wanting to join the plastic navy and pull the trigger on a kayak, but when I looked around I had sticker shock on most of the fishing Kayaks with moderate to good features.
I was looking for something roomy with a good weight capacity, not too heavy, affordable and above all very stable since I also want to duck hunt out of it in the Winter, I was sold on the Ride 115 but with a price tag around $860 is out of my budget, then I found this Ascend D10T sit on top and it sort of looks like a good all around yak, nice open cockpit, weighs 52lbs. weight capacity 350lbs, 34 inches wide, and they claim to be very stable, if any of the most experienced kayak fisherman/paddlers can give me a run down on this yak or if anyone is familiar or knows somebody who has first hand experience with this yak, and any review good or bad you have I would appreciate it, this yak retails at BPS for $399 that is less than half of the tag on the Ride 115, I know I'm not comparing apples to apples here, any input is appreciated, thanks TS

bfish
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
If I were looking for a dual purpose fishing/duck hunting kayak especially if I was jumping birds, I would look hard at the Jackson Kilroy and Cruise, closely followed by the WS Commander and possible the Ride 135 (and maybe the 115 and Jackson Coosa). NuCanoe also has a few models that may work well for you, especially if you have plans to add an electric motor.

Yes all those are outside of your price range. Any boat that gets you out more is a good boat, however a lot is to be said about the ergonomics and other features that make it easier. For example, take the weight; I feel much more confident in the longevity with a thicker (and heavier) kayak. Yes, it is more of a hassle to carry on land, but both light and heavy boats are going to get dragged and banged on things. Also consider that with a purchase at a big box store any follow-up issues are more difficult than say with a company with local presence. Jacksons are made here in Sparta, TN and WS are mostly made in NC with a strong local dealer (Hook1). BassPro, who knows where they are made (I assume overseas).

In a similar price range as your Ascend D10t, is the Perception Pescador (old Tarpon mold), Heritage Angler, and Oldtown 119 (sold at Dick's as a Kaynoe). Of the 4 the 119 would be the best hunter kayak (even though it is a canoe, just use a long kayak paddle and the "difference" mostly goes away). However, if you plan to fish on Corp or TVA reservoirs, I would choose one of the other kayaks.

You may also want to look at used kayaks. In your first year of use, you will learn what features you like or dislike, and then you can go out and buy a brand new one that specifically fits your needs much easier than blindly picking one.

If at all possible try and test any kayak out before you buy it.

bd-
05-21-2013, 02:31 PM
I am very interested in this thread. I've been looking at the Ascend kayaks too, though I was looking at the larger 12' model for about $600.

I have floated a few times in borrowed Jacksons, and I like them okay, though they could stand to be a little wider - their primary stability isn't as good as their secondary stability.

I like American-made products and supporting local business when I can, but I'm not sure the Jackson is worth the $1,200 + sticker price. The Ascend might be "not quite" the same boat as a Jackson, Hobie, etc, but it's also five or six hundred dollars cheaper, which is serious money.

I just wish I had a way of taking an Ascend down a couple rapids before I bought it to see how it stacks up.

If anyone has firsthand experience paddling one, I would be very interested to hear about it.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

vincent
05-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Brentwood Costco sells 12 foot future beach kayak angler 144 for 429$. Retail prices elsewhere are in $800s. They only have one color and its a fishing/hunting kayak based on their label. I think the weight capacity is around 480 lbs. I am yearning to buy one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still confused if I'll upgrade to a boat later, in which case the money on kayak would be a waste...

Mike Anderson
05-21-2013, 03:56 PM
All I can add to this tough decision is that in my dealings with Jackson over the last couple of years is that they have bent over backwards to help me any time I asked. Every employee I've met and dealt with over there was great. These guys love their jobs, they do a good job, stand by the product, and make a good boat in a variety of configurations. Yes they are more then some of the other boats. Same can be said for most of the top tier products, for a reason...

The Kilroy would be an awesome boat for what you describe. I can't wait to get in one for a test ride. Good luck with your decision.

jad2t
05-21-2013, 04:28 PM
I looked at Jackson kayaks too before I bought my Ride 115 (which I think is worth every penny I paid for it) but the store was going to charge me 50 bucks to demo it for a couple hours to make sure I like it. That's laughable. You don't pay to test drive a car do you? So why pay to "test drive" a much cheaper method of transportation? I called HOOK1 and asked about a demo and they said sure. They drove it to Old Hickory and said to call them when I'm done to pick me up. I already thought the Jackson kayaks were overpriced. At 1,200 dollars I don't see what the Jackson Coosa does that the Ride 115 can't do for about 300 dollars less.

I went into the other store selling Jackson kayaks (they'll remain nameless) and told them HOOK1 lets me demo any kayak I want for free and said they should do the same thing but they wouldn't and said that Jackson makes it mandatory that they charge a potential customer just to demo a kayak for an hour or so. I don't know if I believe that or not but if it's true, it's enough to make me not want to buy anything from Jackson. If it's not true, that means that store was just wanting my 50 bucks and didn't get it, along with the other 850 I obviously was willing to spend on a kayak. Their loss.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Geez, thanks for complicating things for me guys!!, all kidding aside, thanks for the replies, I looked at the nucanoes a few years ago but never pulled the trigger, they were a little to high!, may need to look into them again, there is a local dealer in Lynchburg that will let me demo it free of charge. I agree with you Jimmy I would not do bussiness with a company that charges you upfront for a demo.
Bfish, it would be nice to put a trolling motor for those all day outings, some of the other models mentioned are sit in and I know for a fact that it will be very hard to get in and out of there with neoprene waders in a cold winter day, getting to stiff to spring out of there like the old days Lol!! so a sit on top would do me a better service i think, most of the time it will be used for fishing in moderate current rivers, flat water namely Normandy, Bedford lake, Tims and Woods maybe a trip to the Caney with no generation mixed in.
I also like to buy American made products but in this case I can buy two Ascends for the price of one Jackson and have some money leftover and I don't have that kind of money for this anyway.
I guess I will have to keep looking I may run on a good deal on an used one on Craigslits or hopefully demo a few before I buy one, don't be bashful you Kayak fishing gurus on here and chime in I wil like to hear you experince has to say!!
thanks Bfish, BD, Mike A and jad2t, TS

Alphahawk
05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I dont think that is a Jackson rule about charging for a demo ride. I own both a Jackson and a Wilderness. Was at Bass Pro and just took a look at the new FS128T. Lot of boat for the money. It is very heavy....I don't think it is as well made as a high end kayak...but it doesn't have that high price tag either. Getting a kayak is almost as personal as choosing a wife...LOL. Seriously there is a lot to consider. But as I have said before...everyone has a budget.

Regards

jad2t
05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
No problem. I'm no expert on kayak fishing as I'm new to it but I did an extensive amount of research before making the purchase. Lots of asking on forums (Jeremy aka MidTennKayakAngler on here is a great person to talk to about this), youtube videos of people demonstrating the use and capabilities of certain kayaks I was interested in, talking to the guys at HOOK1, and of course taking the Ride 115 out for a demo. The guys at HOOK1 are a great resource since they're all kayak fishermen. Tell them what you need it to do and your price range and they'll work with you to find what suits you best. Good luck and enjoy the kayak you choose. It's a blast!

jad2t
05-21-2013, 06:35 PM
I dont think that is a Jackson rule about charging for a demo ride.
Regards

It may have been something that particular store made up but either way it's stupid and it's a great way to lose business as they did with me haha.

Alphahawk
05-21-2013, 06:51 PM
You are a ways away from HOOK1...but you could get some good...free education there. Plus they are selling used kayaks now...when they get one in. I am about 100 miles from there but have been up there several times...and will go back...LOL. There is not a lot of knowledge base on the Ascend kayaks just yet.

Regards

bd-
05-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Getting a kayak is almost as personal as choosing a wife...LOL.

It's possible the wife is the reason I'm not spending $1,200 on a kayak. :)

bd-
05-21-2013, 07:13 PM
some of the other models mentioned are sit in and I know for a fact that it will be very hard to get in and out of there with neoprene waders in a cold winter day, getting to stiff to spring out of there like the old days Lol!!

This is worth emphasizing. Before I tested out some kayaks, I "THOUGHT" I wanted a sit-in. They do feel more secure when you're going through fast water.

But in testing a sit-in, I fell in the water 3 times while getting in and out. I have never fallen while getting in or out of a sit-on-top. If the water's a little deep, it's just hard to get my long legs and fat butt into a sit-in kayak without turning it over.

I learned my lesson after a few dunkings. I definitely only want a SOT model since I get in and out of the boat a lot when I'm fishing creeks and small rivers.

bd-
05-21-2013, 10:53 PM
By the way, I am looking very seriously at one of these if I don't find a good deal on a used yak soon:

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128TSit-On-Top-Angler-Kayak-Desert-Storm/product/12102505321115/?cm_sp=Display2013retar_DIS

Biggest downside I see is that it's HEAVY at 84 lbs! Looks very stable and roomy though. I wish I had a way to give one a test float.

bd

Transplanted Sportsman
05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
By the way, I am looking very seriously at one of these if I don't find a good deal on a used yak soon:

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128TSit-On-Top-Angler-Kayak-Desert-Storm/product/12102505321115/?cm_sp=Display2013retar_DIS

Biggest downside I see is that it's HEAVY at 84 lbs! Looks very stable and roomy though. I wish I had a way to give one a test float.

bd
BD, this is kayak that Alpha mentioned as well, good looking rig too!!, I agree with you it is heavy at 84 lbs and for that money ($700) I can save a couple hundred bucks more and buy the ride 115, I guess I will be looking for some yards to mow or sell my Mathews bow or something, since i do like the ride 115 best, the reviews on the Ascend are mostly good and almost convinced me, but one question lingers is how stable this thing really is, it could be very dangerous to find out I should have bought the ride 115 after i take a dunking in the middle of winter while duck hunting, another issue people complained about was the thickness of the material, they say it is thin and it even bows in when strapped to the roof of the car leaving a dent when released, I will go to bass pro and take a test drive in their pool in the back just to feel, maybe my GF will need one sometime:D
thanks for y'alls comments and suggestions!!

Transplanted Sportsman
05-22-2013, 11:35 AM
You are a ways away from HOOK1...but you could get some good...free education there. Plus they are selling used kayaks now...when they get one in. I am about 100 miles from there but have been up there several times...and will go back...LOL. There is not a lot of knowledge base on the Ascend kayaks just yet.

Regards

Alpha I was there last week, my truck needed some transmission maintenance and hook one was just 10 minutes away, so i killed two birds with one stone, very nice folks!, i talked to them told them what I'm looking for in a kayak based on my needs and they suggested either the commander or the ride 115, I liked both but the commander is a little too big IMO for what I'm planning to use, they even gave me a free T-shirt just to stop by, so I guess will be saving a few extra bucks for the ride 115, thanks for the input Sir!!

Alphahawk
05-22-2013, 12:07 PM
I have the Ride 115 with the elevated seat. It is the most stable kayak I have been in...I own a Coosa also and have been in a Native Ultimate. If it is stable with me...in an elevated seat....imagine how stable it is for a normal size person.

Regards