PDA

View Full Version : JPP Dam 5/20/13

MNfisher
05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
I had some things to take care of in Hermitage and on my way home, I drove across the dam and had no intentions to fish. But last minute, my fishing urges took over and I took the turn to below the dam:D

First of all after a few casts, 4 guys between the ages of i would guess 18-22. Worked there way close to me, right by the generators. There is a lot of shad swimming along the rocks up there. They were trying to hook some of them. After a while, one got the smart idea of getting in the water and trying to catch them. 5 minutes later 3 of them were waist deep trying to catch shad with there hands...RIGHT BY THE GENERATORS!! AND THEY WERE RUNNING THE GENERATORS! They were standing in fast water and were about 5 feet from the white REALLY fast water. One slipped and stumbled a bit and after that I had enough. I, as nice as possible, told them that if they slipped on the rocks and fell into those boils, that they would not be coming out. They just kind of looked at me and kind of agreed, and then continued on chasing shad. IDIOTS. I don't like calling people idiots, but THEY WERE! To top it off, one of them went back to snagging and broke his rod in half. He tossed the broken rod and reel about 5 feet up on the rocks. 15 minutes later they left and 5 minutes after that I realized they left their broken rod in the rocks, purposely, because I saw it laying right next to there good rods. They had to move the broken rod to get at the good ones. It made me really unhappy with how some people act.

Anyways, i fished about an hour and a half. I caught 2 very nice white bass, a 10" spot and a 2 lb largemouth. I missed a few bites too. Glad I stopped. And now I have a brand new cheap walmart spinning reel. HAHA!

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Great pic...nice fish. You catch them with your UL rig?

Regards

MNfisher
05-20-2013, 09:50 PM
No, I was tossing a fluke and jighead in the fast water. My ultralight would get spooled in that current!

agelesssone
05-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Congratulations on the new reel! Now you have a reel to give to some kid that doesn't have a rod and reel. I have a few cheap rods that would go well with that reel, let me know if you need one.

jad2t
05-21-2013, 08:00 AM
I've never in my life heard of someone getting in the water during generation. That's just a special kind of stupid! Nice catches though. I took the kayak out to JPP and put in at the Hamilton Creek area. Got one small LM on a spinnerbait and that's it :/ I tried everything and just couldn't locate bass or find what they wanted. I did have what felt like a larger sized bass grab and pull my plastic worm while I had the rod in one hand and was about to use the paddle to reposition myself, totally not ready to set the hook. I tried and missed, that was the most exciting part of the night.

As always though, so fun to fish out of the kayak and see God's work with all the nature and nice sunset.