PDA

View Full Version : UL Rod suggestion?

jimj3561
05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
On friday I busted my 5'6" Assassinator IM6 Graphite spinning rod that I have had for about 13yrs. I dont think that Assassinator makes rods anymore. I'm interested in hearing about any recommendations. I generally use 4# test. I only wish it would have snapped on a monster instead of a snag...

My price range is $50. Does a $150 rod really fish that much better?

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 09:03 PM
On friday I busted my 5'6" Assassinator IM6 Graphite spinning rod that I have had for about 13yrs. I dont think that Assassinator makes rods anymore. I'm interested in hearing about any recommendations. I generally use 4# test. I only wish it would have snapped on a monster instead of a snag...

My price range is $50. Does a $150 rod really fish that much better?

A lot of questions need answered before someone could give you an answer. Are you an avid UL fisherman....what are you fishing for....what lure will you be fishing with...jig...so on. Of course you can catch any fish with any rod. But I use very sensitive rods to feel my jig...in my case a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet. I have two 39.00 dollar rods that I keep around as spares. They are the Trout Magnet Sore Lip Series. Good rods for the money but they are not my main rods. I would say you would have to step up to the eighty dollar range to get a good one. This is just my opinion and you will have some tell you that a 35.00 dollar rod is adequate. But we all have a budget we have to stay in and if that is your case then that is what you should get. Everyone tells me to get a screen larger than 4 inches for my sonar....but that is all I can afford...or let me say that is all I have budgeted for it.

Regards

jimj3561
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
For the present (or recent past anyway) I used it for utility fishing as I figured it out. Even though I had the rod for 13 years I never used it until about 8 months ago. I was just starting to get into the TM with it a few times recently - it worked nicely. I bank fish and always bring it with me as my second set-up and use it just as much as my larger spinning rod.

I attached a pic of the a pumpkinseed sunfish (i think) I caught with the (now broken) rod and a white/chartreuse TM. I caught 6 in about 45 mins. It was last weekend on Fall Creek in Smithville at a dammed up pond at an old grist mill.