PDA

View Full Version : Bedford/Normandy 5-20-2013

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Hit Bedford Lake early this morning. Caught only 3 Gills and they were not photo worthy. Paddled the whole lake looking for them....as were the other boats. Talked to a guy I met over there last year who fishes it 5 or 6 days a week. He tells me there is no hint of them on bed. Water temps were 68 degrees....confirmed by 3 boats. Not much moss yet to speak of. For the fly guys the carp are cruising around. Decided to pull out and stop off below Normandy Dam...glad I did. Caught well over 100 trout and Gills. The Gills were all at about 7 inches or little better but really have good girth on them and are very chunky. Fighting them in that current was great. The trout were some head shaking...tail walking...drag pulling fish! All fish were caught using 2# test line with 2# test fluorocarbon leader and a Bison colored Trout Magnet on a 3mm tungsten jig head with a #10 hook. To say I had a great time is putting it mildly. Was doing OK from the bank but decided to wet wade and that is when it got to be a fish every cast. In case any of you ever get a knee replacement and wade in cold water just be aware it is an odd feeling when that knee has been in that water a while...LOL. Felt great to be wet wading though...that's always fun.

Regards

e.cornelison
05-20-2013, 03:29 PM
any word on the crappie bite at bedford alphahawk 68 is a good temp it was about 63 two weeks ago

MNfisher
05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Nice! Those are some thick and chunky gills aren't they? I was impressed with the thickness! Get any blacknose?

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
any word on the crappie bite at bedford alphahawk 68 is a good temp it was about 63 two weeks ago

The guy I was talking with got some good ones last week fishing a jerk bait for bass....LOL. But he said good crappie are showing up less each year there. Yeah 68 is good temp. This weather pattern this spring though has just messed with the fish in some places worse than others.

Regards

Fishbus
05-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, I feel better now about my weak outing on Bedford. Although I talked to 2 people who limited on the gills Saturday. The one guy said he caught all his in the very upper end of the lake, where I started out :confused:

I like taking the boys to Normandy tailwater. We always fish right there near the parking areas close to the dam. I see a lot of fly fisherman head down river from there.

Billy

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, I feel better now about my weak outing on Bedford. Although I talked to 2 people who limited on the gills Saturday. The one guy said he caught all his in the very upper end of the lake, where I started out :confused:

I like taking the boys to Normandy tailwater. We always fish right there near the parking areas close to the dam. I see a lot of fly fisherman head down river from there.

Billy

Billy the Gills are stacked up below Normandy now. They are some chunky monkeys too! Good shoulders on them.

Regards

Travis C.
05-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Nice trip. I like the colors on that gill.

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Nice trip. I like the colors on that gill.

Yeah those Gills in that cold water...and reasonably clear water....had great colors.

Regards

ttitan27
05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Yes, Great day of fishing indeed Alphahawk. Congrats. I did catch all my gills on the upper end Saturday and fishfinder registered 70 degrees but it could be off a little, who knows. Crickets were the trick for me as I fished crappie magnets the day before and had very little luck with the keeper gills.

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Yes, Great day of fishing indeed Alphahawk. Congrats. I did catch all my gills on the upper end Saturday and fishfinder registered 70 degrees but it could be off a little, who knows. Crickets were the trick for me as I fished crappie magnets the day before and had very little luck with the keeper gills.

Thanks....you ever try Trout Magnets for Gills? There were about 10 boats there today fishing with crickets...trying to find the Gills. None had done so when I left. Some left before I did and a couple was fishing for cats for about 3 hours they told me and got nothing. It is the same down at Laurel Hill...catch them one day and the next no one catches anything. Course no denying crickets are good bait for Gills.

Regards

jaycee
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Went to Bedford yesterday from 10:30 - 12:30 took home 14 BG, not as large as last week. I was on the bank, saw guys in a boat I used to work with. Told them I thought they, the fish, were out further than I could reach. Sure 'nough they tried and they limited using crickets. Did not take them long.

Dam side.

ttitan27
05-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks....you ever try Trout Magnets for Gills? There were about 10 boats there today fishing with crickets...trying to find the Gills. None had done so when I left. Some left before I did and a couple was fishing for cats for about 3 hours they told me and got nothing. It is the same down at Laurel Hill...catch them one day and the next no one catches anything. Course no denying crickets are good bait for Gills.

Regards

I have yet to try the trout magnets. I have some crappie magnets that I found at a store in Athens AL. I assume the difference is the size with the Trout Magnets being smaller. From what I read on here, I may have to order some online.

Alphahawk
05-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Went to Bedford yesterday from 10:30 - 12:30 took home 14 BG, not as large as last week. I was on the bank, saw guys in a boat I used to work with. Told them I thought they, the fish, were out further than I could reach. Sure 'nough they tried and they limited using crickets. Did not take them long.

Dam side.

Yeah the only fish I could find...and wasn't many....was at the dam. Headed to Normandy now to get in on some more trout....LOL.

Regards

Transplanted Sportsman
05-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Way to go Alpha!!, this is the way Bedford lake has fished for me most of the time, hot one day only to be skunked the next, I used to kill the BG on the flyrod with a popper or a rubber spider here a few years ago, I would be sore by the time I would leave!! have not tried it in a long time, maybe I should pick it up again and mix it in with the UL and TM's, cool pics!!

creekcrappie
05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Chunky fish! Twitch method or float method?