PDA

View Full Version : Pole materials

JandSCattleCo
05-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm getting into spider rigging, and looking at several different poles. Most of them are graphite rods, but one is fiberglass. The fiberglass is considerably cheaper, but seems to have just as good strength / backbone.

As I'm new, I really don't know the advantages of one over the other.

Thoughts please.

bfish
05-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Fiberglass is fine for spider rigging. It is not like you are holding the rod and need the extra cost for feeling a bite. You are watching the line and the rod tips and fiberglass shows light bites well.

Here is good deal on 4 rod for $60 (fiberglass), I would go with 12 ft.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-2-deals-and-news.aspx

Alphahawk
05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
fiberglass is fine for spider rigging. It is not like you are holding the rod and need the extra cost for feeling a bite. You are watching the line and the rod tips and fiberglass shows light bites well.

Here is good deal on 4 rod for $60 (fiberglass), i would go with 12 ft.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-2-deals-and-news.aspx

x2

JandSCattleCo
05-20-2013, 03:15 PM
x2

Those are actually the ones I am looking at. Tose and the ht panfish specials.

What reels do you advise?

Alphahawk
05-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Those are actually the ones I am looking at. Tose and the ht panfish specials.

What reels do you advise?

I wouldn't spend a lot on a reel for spider rigging. A Shimano in the 1000 series or in the Pflueger a 20 or 25 series maybe.

Regards

bfish
05-20-2013, 04:10 PM
I just upgrade to a bunch of 80's Diawa baitcasting reels (various models).

Before I had many different spinning reels. The micro/ice spinning reel size worked ok for a season or two but a regular 1500-2500 bass size spinning reel usually last longer (and the larger spool diameter causes less kinks in mono). However the larger sizes are more expensive.

For spider-rigging reel choice doesn't matter so much, but my set-ups do double-duty for longlining (and the extra line capacity and larger diameter spool make a difference).