PDA

View Full Version : Guns on board?

TomD
05-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Is it Federal law says no guns on the waters. Is that as it is? I sure would like to be able to legally carry my hand gun on the water.

I actually had what Im pretty sure was a Cotton Mouth swim out 25 - 30 yards and try to get in my boat Id bat him off with a paddle and he'd try again and I finally got away, well he swam away back to shore. I dont think I would even consider shooting it if didnt treaten. Probably had a nest on the shore line maybe I sure would like to have had some 38spl snake shot or a slug or even my shotgun. How does it apply to hunters using boats to get to their hunting site. How do they legally transport the gun?

I think its a stupid law.

Has anyone every been asked by fish and game if you had a gun in the boat when they are checking catches and such? I just wonder if in a tackle box and they found it my thoughts are it could really be a problem in todays atmosphere with gun law violations. Im thinking it would be real easy to be made an example of.

Ive started to reconsider some of my positions on it. Especially if it were night time on the water or even at the launch at night.

Alphahawk
05-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I dont know about Federal law but one may carry a gun on TWRA Lakes....with carry permit of course.

Regards

Buccaneer
05-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Go here and see post #17. Carry permit? Carry. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/31555-handgun-carry-on-tn-lakes/

tkwalker
05-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I dont know about Federal law but one may carry a gun on TWRA Lakes....with carry permit of course.

Regards

State Law ... It is illegel to kill Any Snake in the State of Tennessee (Eco System Stuff)... Now with that said ... While on this subject ... I was talking to a TWRA Wildlife Officer a few years ago about poisonous snakes in a life threating situation ... He said this was kind of a Gray area ... Bottom line ... it is just illegel ... But He hadn't heard of any one being prosecuted ...

<'TK><:)

Jdkxtreme
05-17-2013, 09:53 PM
I had one stop me at the ramp at cairo a month or so ago asking about what I was catching. He asked if I had any weapons on me. I told him the truth that I did and I was a legal permit holder. He thanked me and never asked to see the gun or the permit.

Travis C.
05-17-2013, 10:17 PM
State Law ... It is illegel to kill Any Snake in the State of Tennessee (Eco System Stuff)... Now with that said ... While on this subject ... I was talking to a TWRA Wildlife Officer a few years ago about poisonous snakes in a life threating situation ... He said this was kind of a Gray area ... Bottom line ... it is just illegel ... But He hadn't heard of any one being prosecuted ...

<'TK><:)

I believe you have some wiggle room in killing a snake if it is going to harm your livestock or in your home to where you feel threatened. Outside in the woods or at a lake you could very well end up with a fine.

Bottom line it's illegal like tk said.

j19bill
05-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Had a TWRA officer stop me as I was putting in below the dam on the Caney last year. Checked my boat registration, fishing license and asked if I had any weapons on me. I said yes gave him my CCP and he told me to have a nice day.

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

TomD
05-17-2013, 10:21 PM
State Law ... It is illegel to kill Any Snake in the State of Tennessee<'TK><:)

Better to ask forgiveness sometimes than permission especially when its him or you.

Thanks for the update post #17 makes it pretty clear.

Thanks.

Gene G
05-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Is it Federal law says no guns on the waters. Is that as it is? I sure would like to be able to legally carry my hand gun on the water.

Ive started to reconsider some of my positions on it. Especially if it were night time on the water or even at the launch at night.

The old saying "Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6" still holds true today.

ttitan27
05-18-2013, 08:31 AM
I have a HCP and always carry on the water. Some boat ramps I use are a little sketchy.

Saltwaterwalt
05-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Tom,
It sounds like you get a little bent over a snake. Cottonmouths are rare. Most our water snakes are just that, either common watersnakes or diamondback watersnakes, or the northern watersnake. Lots of them around and they're harmless. They're not out to get you and will just pass on by. I've had them swim between my waders, not a big deal, its a mental fear, work on it. :D

By the way, have never heard of livestock being threatened by a snake, that's a new one!

Jdkxtreme
05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
State park ramps are no guns allowed places. Just the ramps though

bd-
05-18-2013, 01:29 PM
I've thought a few times about carrying a gun when fishing in remote areas, but only because of people, not snakes.

I can't think of any situation where I'd ever need a gun to deal with a snake.

bd

bd-
05-18-2013, 01:30 PM
By the way, have never heard of livestock being threatened by a snake, that's a new one!

Maybe baby chickens or pen-raised quail. If it's anything beyond that, you've got a python problem.

bd

JandSCattleCo
05-18-2013, 03:19 PM
I carry everywhere I go. As said earlier "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." You never know what might happen these days.

However, its for the protection of me and mine only. I had a buddy draw his sidearm a few weeks ago to stop a fight where a guy was getting beat pretty severely. HE was cuffed and questioned because the guys doing the beating said he was waiving it around like a lunatic!

As far as snakes and livestock, I've seen several cattle that were injured by venomous snake bites.

TomD
05-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Tom,
It sounds like you get a little bent over a snake. !

Generally not, I live pretty rural and see plenty. I don like them when they show aggression. the one on OH had a lot of attitude going on. Ive had them annoying close when wading.

I see a lot of copperheads and timber rattlers when im hiking the creeks, Cannon County. Though middle Tn seems to have a lot of watersnakes Ive only seen the one cottonmouth. I spent 15 years living in northern Florida (Jax) when I was a kid and we'd take a row boat back into the feeder creeks on the St. Johns River, like Ceder Creek, Blacks Creek and a few others and they were loaded with Moccasins BIG ONES but they weren't never an issue. I cant believe thinking back how we managed not to get bit. If we weren't in the boat we'd be hiking through the palmettos with our pole in hand, saw a lot og BIG rattlesnakes. My buddy had a Dane / Shepard gigantic dog and he got face bite. Crawled off to die then came dragging in about 3 days later (we looked all over for him) took him to the vet and he drained this big abscess on his neck, the puncture wounds were very distinct, he survived.

Had my Treeing Walker, Ms Bell, get bit on the lip a couple years ago and she had a few bad days after the vet patched her up, antibiotic and antivenom and diuretic, her head/neck swelled up like a bowling ball then a year or so later she got bit between her toes on a frot paw. Her paw and forearm looked like a tree trunk but she didnt get quite as sick. I never saw either snake and I keep about 3 acres mowed but I'm guessing it was down in the barn yard by the spring, I know one of my tractor sheds HAD copperheads under it. Not as before anymore but I still keep my eyes open when I'm down there.

Ive had more concerns with some of the 2 legged critters while fishing. When I lived in Az I really enjoyed their open carry law and took advantage of it. Ive had my ccw for years but very seldom do. Really open carry in my opinion removes all doubt, I found the gun atmosphere in Az suited my needs much better than other states.

I appreciate knowing that there are guns on the lake. That's good.

nofish
05-18-2013, 06:56 PM
I've heard stories about priest and old hickory where guys were in boats on the water acting like they were having boat problems and when people came to help they were robbing them of fishing gear and money.

Saltwaterwalt
05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Well, thought we were talking about snakes, the reptile kind. As far as those two legged snakes...totally agree, if you have a HCP, carry a sidearm. Yes, there are bad people on the lakes, just like anywhere else.

And Tom, you're right about Florida...makes Tn snake country look like kindergarden...I'd pack a piece down there for BOTH kinds of snakes.:)

TomD
05-18-2013, 10:07 PM
I think snakes are protected most everywhere nowadays, That's a good thing.

Sad thing is most of the 2 legged snakes are protected also. That's a bad thing. :mad:

I've read about the piracy stuff out there. You'd think they would know better. Sure seems like a high risk thing to do, at least after reading some of the feedback here.

I guess I'll upgrade my tackle. I appreciate the frankness.