PDA

View Full Version : Woods Report

aero320
05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
I went to Woods on Wednesday afternoon after work to check out crappie fishing. The water temps ranged from 71 to 74 degrees an the water clarity is excellent. Water levels are still higher than normal.

Slow trolled jigs at one MPH and caught 10 keepers in a relatively short period of time. The ratio of keepers to non-keepers was about one-to-four. Jigs were running about 15 feet deep. Most of the keepers were between 10" and 11" but two were "slabs".

The female crappie still had eggs in them.

Surprisingly, no white bass were caught.

e.cornelison
05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
if you want crappie in numbers go to woods i went the last week of april and caught a easy limit but all were throw backs maybe two keepers just at size no slabs normandy on the other hand is the oppisite no numbers but some nice slabs

Transplanted Sportsman
05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Hey, Aero were you trolling the river channel?? or went on some coves and creeks??, thanks for the report, I think I will go there Sunday,
this lake is full of Crappie but they are almost all small fun place to take your Kid though very willing to bite almost every day, TWRA did a sample recently to figure out if these are young Crappie or stunted Crappie, I guess we will find out next year if the change the regs and reduce the size of keeper Crappie in this lake, who kknows if they turn out to be young Crappie this lake will be on fire for size and numbers in a few short years.
Hey E Cornelison, you are right Normandy is just the opposite to Woods, nice pics on your other post, welcome to the forum!.
Either of you if you if you see me around Normandy or Woods holler at me I will be in a small Riverhawk camoed Ghenoe

aero320
05-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Found the fish in a cove. On the previous trip, they close to the channel but not exactly on the edge like you would find them in the winter. Planning on trying again on Saturday and will experiment with Trout Magnets again.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-18-2013, 01:13 PM
good luck, I hope I can go tomorrow, looks like I might get away with it if it doesn't get bad weather wise!!

aero320
05-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Caught a lot of crappie today but they were small. Did some experimenting with Trout Magnets.

Alphahawk
05-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Always good to catch...even if they are small.

Regards

aero320
05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
I ended up with 6 keeper crappie and gave them to a couple fishing from the dock at the boat ramp.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Good deal Aero!!, I on the other hand didn't get to go, had to work even on Sunday!!, I swear, that's my luck!!!