PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork "average" water level

troutspin
05-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Can anyone tell me what the average water level (average meaning in times of normal rainfall with normal generation schedules), in feet above sea level, is of the Caney Fork in the areas below the dam? This may be a stupid question, but I'm trying to figure out how to look at the TVA down stream elevations listings and tell if the water is "high" or "low".

Travis C.
05-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Can anyone tell me what the average water level (average meaning in times of normal rainfall with normal generation schedules), in feet above sea level, is of the Caney Fork in the areas below the dam? This may be a stupid question, but I'm trying to figure out how to look at the TVA down stream elevations listings and tell if the water is "high" or "low".

There won't really be a "normal" until the Dam repairs are done. Basically if they are running any water at all either generation or just sluice it's too high to wade.

They will start or should start opening windows for wading when the head water elevation reaches 628-625 and that window will get bigger as it continues dropping down to around the low 620's where they like it to be during construction.

The water was 644 this morning...so it will be a while for wading to happen. My guess mid-June....:mad:

Hope this helped.

Travis C.
05-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Another thing you can do is go Stonewall (Thayer Wilson Bridge) on a day when its low wading water and make a mental note of the water level. Then check this on the day/time you were there for the stage or feet recording: http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/stationinfo2.cfm?sid=CFST1&fid=&dt=S

That way you can check it to see how high the water is down there compared to when you fished it. You'll have a visual reference of how many feet it is up then on generation.

Sticking with mental notes and math... :D

Use this table as an estimated wading get in/out or float guide:

With only (1) generator running water arrives at

Dam 0 mins - fallout 30/45mins

Lancaster 35 mins - fallout 2 hrs

Happy 2 1/2 hrs - fallout 5 hrs

Betty's 3 hrs- fallout 6 hrs

Kirby's 3 1/4 hrs - fallout 6 1/2 hrs

Stonewall/Thayer Wilson 6 hrs - fallout ....long time.

The times of "arriving" are when the water starts to rise...Fallout is completely gone back to low water. After being on the river and learning the flows you will have some wiggle room for a few extra casts as it rises just like getting in a little early as its still falling. I don't recommend going and doing it without some previous knowledge though as there are lots of holes/troughs in what looks to be otherwise flat water when its low.

troutspin
05-16-2013, 09:43 PM
That's great info, thanks! So, if I understood your first post correctly, by watching the upstream elevation (rather than the downstream) on the TVA site you can gauge whether the water is able to be waded or not. Of course, keeping in mind the generation schedule as well.
When are the repairs expected to be completed? They've been going on for several years now haven't they (or at least been needed for several years)?

tkwalker
05-16-2013, 09:51 PM
What controls tail race flows is the main flows from the reservoirs above, Especially Generation flows and schedules ... Rain and flood conditions.... Before the Sluice gates were installed that maintains some constant water flow and aereation ... Before the gates the river usually ran a little more shallow between non gen schedules... So there is no average level ... You fish mainly the Caney on Generation schedules and rise and fall of the water levels ... Also only navigable waterways have standard sea level elevations ... Tailraces are not usually navigable ... for a fact The Caney is not ....

The Caney has it's on agenda ... That's what makes it so beautiful ... <'TK><:)

Travis C.
05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
So, if I understood your first post correctly, by watching the upstream elevation (rather than the downstream) on the TVA site you can gauge whether the water is able to be waded or not. Of course, keeping in mind the generation schedule as well.

You don't really need to know the upstream elevation to determine whether its wade friendly or not. The Caney is not a river that can be waded safely under flow of any kind. Basically when you check the TVA site if it says they are running a generator or if above in print (usually a different color than surrounding text) it will say sluice gates are open in some form or fashion then you can't wade.

Use the upstream elevation to get an idea of how long it will be until you start seeing wading windows during periods of generation. That has been anywhere from 628-625 but anywhere in the lower 620's should yield good wading opportunities.

Remember its not just Center Hill to watch for... Great Falls (on TVA site as well) is feeding water into Center Hill that has to be dealt with too. Great Falls has been spilling until further notice. On average, I believe Bob Snead told me the water takes about 4 days to travel that distance which coupled with Center Hill's depth is why its so cold.

troutspin
05-17-2013, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Travis C.;33677]You don't really need to know the upstream elevation to determine whether its wade friendly or not. The Caney is not a river that can be waded safely under flow of any kind. Basically when you check the TVA site if it says they are running a generator or if above in print (usually a different color than surrounding text) it will say sluice gates are open in some form or fashion then you can't wade.

Use the upstream elevation to get an idea of how long it will be until you start seeing wading windows during periods of generation. That has been anywhere from 628-625 but anywhere in the lower 620's should yield good wading opportunities.

Remember its not just Center Hill to watch for... Great Falls (on TVA site as well) is feeding water into Center Hill that has to be dealt with too. Great Falls has been spilling until further notice. On average, I believe Bob Snead told me the water takes about 4 days to travel that distance which coupled with Center Hill's depth is why its so cold.[/QUOTE

Got it. Thanks for the information. Very helpful!