PDA

View Full Version : Kayak stolen in less than 15 mins

Saltwaterwalt
05-16-2013, 07:35 PM
I was heading to Natchez Trace in my RV when one of the two kayaks I had on back came off as I exited off Saturn Prky to get onto Hwy 31. I didn't realize it until almost a half mile down the road when someone waved me down. Very nice of him to do so, and let me know where it came off. Two more stopped and told me the same. The fourth person, said he moved it onto the shoulder, said it seemed ok except for a few scuff marks. So I thanked them all and turned my motorhome around and headed back. Of course I had to get on the Saturn Pky heading back east, then turn around at the first exit and backtrack. Total time was maybe 15 mins. My kayak, actually the wife's, which I got her for Christmas, was already gone. So there you have it folks, 4 good people stopped to help out, and one low life took something that wasn't theirs and left. I called Springhill PD, but they didn't seem to want to bother with it, said they'd 'pass' it up to the supervisor and maybe I'd get a call. I didn't. We all leave a legacy in life, unfortanately some are not as noble as others.

Alphahawk
05-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Bummer. My insurance will pay for one...and only one....and the max is one thousand bucks. Does your RV insurance cover it under comprehensive? Thieves are nasty folks.

Regards

Tnriverluver
05-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Thieves suck!!!! Hopefully the boat has a serious hidden crack through the middle and breaks in half when the lowlife tries to use it and does not know how to swim:D If you are camping at the Pin Oak campground look for me and my Austrailian Sheperd in my 8 ft BassHunter. We will be there starting tomorrow at campsite #5

Travis C.
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
That stinks.

Do you have any pictures and/or model info so we can keep an eye out on Craigslist for it?

Saltwaterwalt
05-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Yes, its a yellow Pelican Viper. Not a high dollar model, but the price doesn't matter, its the thought that someone swiped it. To me its no different than if you had a problem and had to leave your trailered boat on the side of the road, someone thinks its ok to hook up and take it home?
My insurance has a $500 deductible, so out of luck there as the Pelican was around $280. At least they didn't get the paddle.

j19bill
05-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Sorry that happened. Keep an eye on craigslist.

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

kvanconant
05-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Is it something like this one on Craigslist?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/p206x206/400642_10151683899139203_1820528080_n.jpg

Saltwaterwalt
05-17-2013, 10:07 PM
This one, if it loaded correctly.

Fishaholic
05-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Yes it sucks that you lost your kayak. However you should be happy that it didn't kill somebody in the process. Also might be a good idea to put your phone number on it with a sharpie a buddy of mine did that and when he lost his diving off the beach it got returned to him

jaysouth
05-19-2013, 10:46 AM
I use a permanent marker to put my name and email address on every tool and toy I own.

Bassassasin
05-19-2013, 03:51 PM
I hate that you lost it but unless the people actually saw it fly off your Rv then Yes they would be thieves, but if they drove by and found it, that would hardly make them a thief...Now the honorable thing to do would take it to the Local Sheriff and tell them where they found it and hand it over to them. I have stopped and found all kinds of items along the hwy. But that does not make me a thief! Again sorry for your loss and it was good that it did not turn up in somebody's windshield!

geckel
05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Always secure your kayak with a rope at the bow and stern. Highway speeds are enough to get up under a kayak and lift it off. I know that it feels like someone stole your kayak....but if you found one abandoned on the side of the road would you leave it?