PDA

View Full Version : Nickajack 5-15-2013

Alphahawk
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Decided to see if crappie were still around at Nickajack.....they are.....in certain spots. In the picture are 14 fish on the ground....had to dump them out to count...I lost count...LOL. Most fish were 11 to 12 inches but had one that was 13.5 inches. Caught my 15th one. Also caught about 10 Shell Crackers at about 6 inches....small, but fighters never the less. Also landed a large mouth that was between 2 and 3 pounds.....quite a tussle on 2# test. All fish were caught on 2# test line using Bison colored Trout Magnet. If you go to Nickajack find a spot where the water drops off pretty sharp and fish at about 12 foot depth.

Regards

MNfisher
05-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Good day!

Travis C.
05-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Way to go Alpha.

I hope to have some fishy pics this weekend. Will be fishing Dale Hollow at night with lights on Saturday then treated dad to a trip with Dave (Fishfindergeneral) on Sunday.

Alphahawk
05-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Way to go Alpha.

I hope to have some fishy pics this weekend. Will be fishing Dale Hollow at night with lights on Saturday then treated dad to a trip with Dave (Fishfindergeneral) on Sunday.

That should be awesome. Check on the Gill and Shell Cracker for me up there. I may be driving to JPP or Old Hickory next week for Gills...LOL. No places I am fishing has them really stirring yet.

Regards

Travis C.
05-15-2013, 03:44 PM
That should be awesome. Check on the Gill and Shell Cracker for me up there. I may be driving to JPP or Old Hickory next week for Gills...LOL. No places I am fishing has them really stirring yet.

Regards

Will do... There are some dinner plates in that lake. ;)

Transplanted Sportsman
05-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Man Alpha!! that is cool but you complicate things for me Sir!, I was thinking about hitting Tims ford or Woods this Sunday since I have not been able to find them Crappies at Normandy and then you come with these pictures of a solid limit of Crappies and then some Red ear and LM Bass to boot, you make it hard for me to decide where to go lol!! if I could only catch them like you!!

Transplanted Sportsman
05-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Way to go Alpha.

Travis let me know how you do over there I'm thinking of taking a weekend trip over to DH before it gets too hot, see if I can find some Smallies and red ears

Alphahawk
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Man Alpha!! that is cool but you complicate things for me Sir!, I was thinking about hitting Tims ford or Woods this Sunday since I have not been able to find them Crappies at Normandy and then you come with these pictures of a solid limit of Crappies and then some Red ear and LM Bass to boot, you make it hard for me to decide where to go lol!! if I could only catch them like you!!

Well I can only catch them if they are where I am fishing. The crappie at Nickajack are away from their spawning sites and out into deeper water. I got there a little too late I think for the larger crappie.....I only had one of those and it came when I first arrived. I think that if I had started just as the sun started to come up there would have been more larger fish. Even though I caught Red Ear did not get a single bluegill. This is a pattern at 7 lakes I have fished at in the last week or so....very few Gills are being caught. I know that at JPP and OH folks are getting into large beds of them....but that has just not been the case for me. Go try for those crappie....you wont know if you don't go. As for the bass they are on a tear in the places I have fished over the past 10 days or so. I am going to hit Bedford....VFW-Laurel Hill.....Williamsport and Pickwick all in the next 10 days hard....looking for those Gills.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
05-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Decided to see if crappie were still around at Nickajack.....they are.....in certain spots. In the picture are 14 fish on the ground....had to dump them out to count...I lost count...LOL. Most fish were 11 to 12 inches but had one that was 13.5 inches. Caught my 15th one. Also caught about 10 Shell Crackers at about 6 inches....small, but fighters never the less. Also landed a large mouth that was between 2 and 3 pounds.....quite a tussle on 2# test. All fish were caught on 2# test line using Bison colored Trout Magnet. If you go to Nickajack find a spot where the water drops off pretty sharp and fish at about 12 foot depth.
Regards

I'm calling BS. That looks like an anchor rope hanging from the LM. :D

I have been using 4# test in green. It is more difficult to see than a spider web. Takes me a lot longer to tie a lure on.

Alphahawk
05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm calling BS. That looks like an anchor rope hanging from the LM. :D

I have been using 4# test in green. It is more difficult to see than a spider web. Takes me a lot longer to tie a lure on.

That is 2# test NanoFil....in white.....with a 2# test fluorocarbon leader for abrasion resistance.....you can see the knot down the line. It may show up in a camera shot but I can hardly see it. I bought some new in so called Hi-Vis but can't see it either. I love the stuff but just got new glasses and it is harder each year to see it. I do have a couple of rods spooled up with some 6# test and 17# test also....but one ain't going to throw a Trout Magnet with them. I tried some 1# test last fall but it is no longer on my reels...cant see it at all....it is .001 diameter. But it worked out really well on Gills. I could cast a Trout Magnet clean out of site with that stuff. Always looking for new types and kinds of line to try...and I have tried a bunch.

Regards

chaseasl
05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Looks like a fun day