PDA

View Full Version : Bedford Lake ??

ttitan27
05-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Does anyone here fish that lake at all? I was thinking about heading there friday and trying to catch some bluegill and crappie on the crappie magnets and was wondering if it is worth the trip.

Alphahawk
05-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Does anyone here fish that lake at all? I was thinking about heading there friday and trying to catch some bluegill and crappie on the crappie magnets and was wondering if it is worth the trip.

I fish it a lot for Gills...it has some good ones. But I haven't been this year yet and I don't know if they are biting there or not. Never fished it for crappie.

Regards

jaycee
05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
I fished Bedford 2 times last week. Once from the bank and once from my boat. The first day from the bank, good fishing. More than limited out on the BG. Kept a limit of 20. Next day with a partner only 3 small ones. Go figure.

Today from the bank again kept 19 after 1 1/2 hrs. The females all about to burst, full of eggs. They are staging ready to go on bed.

Really nice size fish. Did not catch a red ear. Probably out further than I could cast.

Good luck.

Alphahawk
05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I fished Bedford 2 times last week. Once from the bank and once from my boat. The first day from the bank, good fishing. More than limited out on the BG. Kept a limit of 20. Next day with a partner only 3 small ones. Go figure.

Today from the bank again kept 19 after 1 1/2 hrs. The females all about to burst, full of eggs. They are staging ready to go on bed.

Really nice size fish. Did not catch a red ear. Probably out further than I could cast.

Good luck.

Thanks John...I need to get the kayak over there.

Regards

jad2t
05-15-2013, 09:46 PM
I fish it for bass mainly because you can keep them under 14" and at that size they taste better, in my opinion. It's full of bass. I hear there are some large gills and shellcracker but I don't target them. Tried for crappie a couple times but never found them. They're in there though. I have friends who have caught keepers.

ttitan27
05-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm gonna give em' a run for their money Friday morning. If any of you are there, say hello. Ill be in a 16 ft Seark green aluminum.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Like others said there are some nice gills and LM Bass, there are good Crappies there too although not many and they could be finicky more times than not, depending on where you live it could be worth the trip!
Hey Jaycee, how is the water over at Bedford, is it fouled bad it algae yet??

jaycee
05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
No algae yet. In past have seen it really too bad to fish from bank.

Alphahawk
05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
No algae yet. In past have seen it really too bad to fish from bank.

That tells me that the water is still cool there. That place gets covered up bad with moss. Thanks for the info.

Regards

Fishbus
05-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm gonna take my 12 year old Saturday morning. We'll be out on a red tandem kayak in a white Frontier truck. Say hey if you make it out.

Billy

Alphahawk
05-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm gonna take my 12 year old Saturday morning. We'll be out on a red tandem kayak in a white Frontier truck. Say hey if you make it out.

Billy

Good luck....will be anxious to hear how your day goes.

Regards

ttitan27
05-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Water temp was 70-71 on Friday. Caught lots of small bluegill with only one keeper and lots of small bass. May go back today with crickets.

jad2t
05-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Me and my father are headed there today if the weather looks like it will let us. We don't mind rain but we do mind lightning.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-18-2013, 01:09 PM
good luck guys!! stuck at work, let us know how ya'll do!!

ttitan27
05-18-2013, 06:53 PM
I went back today and limited out on big bluegill. Used crickets on 4 lb test with bare minimum split shot. Sometimes with a float and sometimes not. Hey fishbus I believe we spoke when I first got there.you and your son were in a red kayak and I was in my aluminum boat spooling up a new reel.

Alphahawk
05-18-2013, 10:52 PM
I went back today and limited out on big bluegill. Used crickets on 4 lb test with bare minimum split shot. Sometimes with a float and sometimes not. Hey fishbus I believe we spoke when I first got there.you and your son were in a red kayak and I was in my aluminum boat spooling up a new reel.

Glad you had a good day....hopefully will hit it Monday.

Regards

jad2t
05-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Bass were very tough to find yesterday but me and my dad got 5 each. Took 4 total home, the others were too small to want to fillet. Usually the bass fishing is better but yesterday it was a challenge.

Fishbus
05-19-2013, 06:52 PM
That was me TTitan27. Pleased to have met you. Glad to hear of your success. I talked with another guy at the ramp who has been fishing the lake since childhood and he was doing the same as you and also limited out.

As for us. we fished the same spots, but were trying various TM products and didn't really get much action. I did get one 10" smallie with a frog popper, threw him back of course.

We enjoyed a really nice day, but would have enjoyed more fish too. I guess it is about the crickets on that lake.

Billy

Alphahawk
05-19-2013, 07:12 PM
That was me TTitan27. Pleased to have met you. Glad to hear of your success. I talked with another guy at the ramp who has been fishing the lake since childhood and he was doing the same as you and also limited out.

As for us. we fished the same spots, but were trying various TM products and didn't really get much action. I did get one 10" smallie with a frog popper, threw him back of course.

We enjoyed a really nice day, but would have enjoyed more fish too. I guess it is about the crickets on that lake.

Billy

I wasn't aware there are Smallies in that lake....that's interesting to know. I have caught so many Gills out of that lake on a TM I have lost count.

Regards

Transplanted Sportsman
05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm surprised on the finding of that Smallie!!, I've fished this lake on and off since 2000 and have never caught a Small Mouth Bass, good deal!! congrats on the catches guys!!

jad2t
05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
You sure that was a smallmouth?? That's very surprising!

Fishbus
05-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Spotted bass actually. I looked at the jawline to eyeball but not really close enough at the color.

I'm still new at bass guys, sorry.

Billy