PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick 5-14-2013

Alphahawk
05-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Headed to Pickwick early this AM. Saw a beautiful Red Fox on the way and I took this as a good omen for catching Gills. Well I didn't catch the first Gill. But I did catch over a hundred Smallies and large mouth. About 36 of the fish were Smallies in the 10 to 12 inch range. Had close too or more than 70 large mouth in the 12 to 14 inch range. Had about 10 white bass at about 12 inches also. All fish were caught on a Bison Trout Magnet using 2# test NanoFil with a 2# test fluorocarbon leader using a Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner Rod in UL action with a fast tip....a fast tip makes it easier to twitch and feel the jig. I was twitching and using a size B split shot about 10 inches above the Trout Magnet. The fish were caught very close to bank and bottom in about 4 feet of water. The water temp there is only 66.5 degrees. My drag was screaming all day. I retied often. It is hard to turn a 14 inch large mouth on 2# test line. Needless to say I had a ball. Three different specie and 3 different types of fight. A great day!

Regards

jad2t
05-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Man oh man, what a day of fishing! I definitely need some Bison color TMs. I'd like to buy them from Cabelas if they'd ever pick them up. Did you get these from your kayak or from the bank?

Alphahawk
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Man oh man, what a day of fishing! I definitely need some Bison color TMs. I'd like to buy them from Cabelas if they'd ever pick them up. Did you get these from your kayak or from the bank?

No kayak today...I am installing some more rigging....LOL. The spot I was at I would love to be able to put a kayak there. It would simply be awesome. But the only way is down those rocks you see....or...about a 2 or 3 mile paddle just to get there....unless there is a closer access but I don't think so.

Regards

MNfisher
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice too see they showed up in that spot! Great day alpha! I know that was fun!

Tnriverluver
05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
In all my years of fishing Pickwick I did not know fishing was that good on that side of the dam. I usually fish the tailwaters by boat. I seldom even see anyone fishing on the lake side of the dam except a few bass boats. Maybe you should take these pictures down before your secret spot gets out :D

Alphahawk
05-14-2013, 08:52 PM
In all my years of fishing Pickwick I did not know fishing was that good on that side of the dam. I usually fish the tailwaters by boat. I seldom even see anyone fishing on the lake side of the dam except a few bass boats. Maybe you should take these pictures down before your secret spot gets out :D

Its not really a secret spot. It is under utilized as folks don't really know how to fish it after spring time. Plus lots of snakes hang around there....mostly water snakes but every once in a while a Cotton Mouth or Copperhead shows up.

Regards

Travis C.
05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Great day fishing there Alpha.

FloatNFish
05-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Looks like you had a blast! That second smallie has some beautiful colors.

-Alex