PDA

View Full Version : First kayak fishing trip!

jad2t
05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Finally bought my graduation present to myself, the Ride 115! The guys over at HOOK1 are awesome, I highly recommend them if you're in the market for a kayak. Took it out this morning for a few hours on Old Hickory and couldn't find a bass to save my life. I tried everything. Didn't want to get skunked so I did what Alphahawk does better than any of us, put on a Crappie Magnet to catch bluegill and caught several. Then I went back after the bass and finally at the end of the few hour trip caught this one on a plastic worm. Not a trophy but a solid 2 pounds, first bass in the kayak!

I'm so glad I bought this thing, it's really the most relaxing way to fish. I'm not particularly interested in catching bluegill but even catching those was a blast for me with this thing.

On a side note, DO NOT buy the Carlisle kayak paddles from Cabelas. They are absolute CRAP. Mine bent and had a crease in it within an hour of paddling, couldn't paddle too hard or far from that moment because I was afraid it was going to break. I'm returning it and headed to HOOK1 after I post this to buy one from them.

Adough
05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
It is a real pleasure fishing from these little boats! Glad you've joined the plastic navy!

vincent
05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Cool. Do you drag the kayak onto the banks or carry them?

Travis C.
05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Nice RIDE... pun intended.

I sure do wish all you guys would quit getting new kayaks. The wife won't be too happy if I go out and buy one... LOL.

jad2t
05-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Cool. Do you drag the kayak onto the banks or carry them?

I lift it overhead to where I need to go, slowly lay it on the ground and push it into the water. If you're unable to do that, dragging them is fine but avoid rocks because you don't want to scuff up the bottom.

MNfisher
05-14-2013, 02:33 PM
I lift it overhead to where I need to go, slowly lay it on the ground and push it into the water. If you're unable to do that, dragging them is fine but avoid rocks because you don't want to scuff up the bottom.

Awesome!! Wait til you fish the caney on low water, you will get scuffs!

Get the "Bending Branches" paddle. The angler edition even has a notch in the paddle to get out baits caught in snags and there is a ruler printed on the shaft for measuring your catch!

jad2t
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Awesome!! Wait til you fish the caney on low water, you will get scuffs!

Get the "Bending Branches" paddle. The angler edition even has a notch in the paddle to get out baits caught in snags and there is a ruler printed on the shaft for measuring your catch!

Headed back to Cookeville tomorrow for my last day there, I'd love to fish the Caney but right now it looks like the Amazon River during flood season. I might take it to Center Hill to fish for smallies though. I went to HOOK1 and bought that exact paddle. It's solid, that's the one I used when I took the Ride out for a demo. When we are doing a kayak fishing trip?

Alphahawk
05-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Congrats! You might want to look at the AT Odyssey Glass. It is a great paddle and very light....but strong. I also have a BB Scout Angler. As far as scratching the kayak up. It is hard not to. I worried about that a lot. Being 62 and having to man handle about 80 pounds it can be cumbersome. While I don't abuse my kayak I read a post on a forum about scuffing up a boat and then asked Chad Hoover his opinion on it. The post said "treat it like the pig it is". It is going to get a lot of scratches if you use it. Sore Lip'Em All!

Regards

MNfisher
05-14-2013, 05:32 PM
When we are doing a kayak fishing trip?

Dropping my kayak off at Hook1 on Thursday after work to get "decked out!" Sometime after that!

j19bill
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Congrats on the new "ride" I want one so bad but it seems like every time I get enough saved up something happens. First had to buy new tires for my wife's car then the refrigerator died...

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Congrats on the new ride Jimmy!! pretty neat yak! it will be hard to "miss" you on the water with that lime green color!!:D I'm looking for one totally oposite in color so it can do double duty and duck hunt out of it!!

Transplanted Sportsman
05-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Congrats on the new "ride" I want one so bad but it seems like every time I get enough saved up something happens. First had to buy new tires for my wife's car then the refrigerator died...

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

I know what you mean j19, last winter my central heat and air unit broke down, couple of weeks ago my washer machine went out, new one took away my kayak for the time being, and my Malibu needs new tires too!! there is always something!!:cool:

blink
05-15-2013, 09:16 AM
I have a cheap old canoe that I paid $40 for that got me into paddling and fishing, but I definitely want to get a kayak! I have some saving to do though..... Your setup is pretty awesome!

Jdkxtreme
05-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Can someone post or PM me what a new 115 cost moderately rigged?

Danocaster
05-15-2013, 12:17 PM
I just bought a Ride 115 from HOOK1 too !!

It still hasn't seen it's maiden voyage though:mad:

Jdkxtreme - cost is about $1000

Jdkxtreme
05-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Thank you

e.cornelison
05-16-2013, 05:29 PM
i dont think i would enjoy a bass boat as much as my kayak still have a few things to add to mine but its getting there

Alphahawk
05-16-2013, 05:50 PM
i dont think i would enjoy a bass boat as much as my kayak still have a few things to add to mine but its getting there

I'm with you there...for right now anyway. I came to kayak fishing late in life but had boats years ago...and I can see maybe in about 5 years having to give up loading a kayak and go back to a boat. Nice looking yak you have by the way.

Regards

Rover1966
05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Can someone post or PM me what a new 115 cost moderately rigged?

Paid $885 for mine it's a ride 115 to from hook1 about three weeks ago.

chaseasl
05-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Good deal

Reel Tune
05-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Congrats on the new Ride. We got out on Old Hickory yesterday and sore lipped a few. It was slow, but at least we were on the water. I treat mine like I stole them. Drag them across parking lots, run them up on ramps, use them as swimming platforms, over load them, run them into docks, and run over oyster beds. They are stored indoors and out of the sun. I've have had kayaks for up to 3 years and not had an issue with wearing through.

Jeremy

BigDfromTennessee
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Congrats on joining the plastic navy. It makes me happy to see so many anglers on this site getting bit by the kayak bug. I know how much enjoyment it brought to my fishing and I bet it will do the same for you new guys as well.

D