PDA

View Full Version : How do Dams Operate? Flood / Sluice Gates?

TomD
05-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Can someone explain to me whats happening below the dam in general like after heavy rains and then again when the water ISN'T at flood stage.

What is the spillway, the sluice gate, and flood gate? What are safe practices and what are no-no's. Ive never taken my boat below the dams here in Tn but have been tempted with thoughts of catching the big Rock and Cats but fishing alone Im not sure about managing the boat and fishing.

Do you anchor? Im thinking sometimes yes sometimes no?

I know there are a lot of questions and many variables just trying to get a handle on how to approach the dams (Im assuming I would be now fishing close to the buoys if they remain in place) Maybe tie up to a buoy? just kidding (I think)

Why not (if it is going to be done) restrict access and anchoring when the conditions warrant the restriction. What is the most logical approach other than "go away" to the corp. Is there one from the view point of the guys wanting access?

bfish
05-13-2013, 07:44 PM
http://www.ferc.gov/industries/hydropower/safety/guidelines/signage/report/graphics/At_Facility_HUG_Dam.jpg

A. Intake
B. Sluice (gate)
C. Turbulent water
F. Discharge/Generation
H. Spill Gate (open)
I. Spilling/Spillage
J. Reservoir

http://www.ferc.gov/industries/hydropower/safety/guidelines/signage/report/graphics/Downstream_HUG_Dam.jpg

B. Sluice (gate)
C. Turbulent water
D. Generation flow or Discharge
E. Whirling water, usually near wing wall or where strong current mixes with slower areas.
G. Safe zone past any boils.

Buccaneer
05-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Personal opinion? Only a fool or dead man would anchor below a dam, in particular inside the zone from the end of the lock wall up to the dam itself. You must remember also that the pump out flow from the operation of the lock will also throw a surge of water parallel to the dam and can catch many boaters by surprise. As for safe operation of your boat, I can manage mine from the front deck in flows up to approx 15,000 CFS provided the spillway gates are not open (generation flow only). Wear your life jacket and have a way to get back in the boat pre-planned. If you're not comfortable, move down stream and fish current eddies. All the big fish are not immediately below the dams.

TomD
05-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Personal opinion? Only a fool or dead man would anchor below a dam,

That's about how I thought of the anchoring idea. I'll ease up maybe a little closer to the more turbulent water then drift down.

I've been wading below Center Hill and always have a marker rock on the shore line so I can monitor what may be going on up stream. I know in the past the generating schedules have been fairly reliable, I wouldn't take it to the bank though.

Great diagrams I appreciate those.

Headhunter
05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
With one generator, zero flood gates, there is no trouble anchoring. I always keep a brand new razor knife handy though, but I anchor on the edge of the current when top water fising for stripers. Some mornings there may be 25-30 boats lined up anchored.

MNfisher
05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
With one generator, zero flood gates, there is no trouble anchoring. I always keep a brand new razor knife handy though, but I anchor on the edge of the current when top water fising for stripers. Some mornings there may be 25-30 boats lined up anchored.

What dam is that at? I have never seen more than 5 boats below the dams I fish.

agelesssone
05-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Sometimes I'll anchor if the water isn't too crazy. MNfisher will attest that I have a razor knife laying beside the anchor rope with instructions to anyone in the boat to cit the rope if things get hairy.
Haven't had to cut one yet.

Alphahawk
05-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I owned a couple of boats and fished below Pickwick Dam quite regularly for schooling Stripers. I never fished with the spill gates open but many times when they would generate they would put out 80,000 CFS. It never was a problem for me. Many times I would pull right up to the boil and cast to the wall of the dam....the fight would be on and I would be headed back down stream.

Regards

Tnriverluver
05-15-2013, 09:13 AM
I fish below Pickwick often and even with all the generators running it is no problem even fishing up in the boils themselves. If they have even one floodgate open however I will not usually even try to approach the dam and fish further downstream instead. My recommendation to you is if you are this unfamiliar with dam fishing is to find someone experienced and go with them a few times first to learn the do's and don't. It is perfectly safe only if you know what you are doing. Sudden discharges occur regularly from both the locks and generators and you have to be aware of what is about to happen to water levels and currents when they hopefully sound the alarms beforehand. And always, always, always wear a life jacket when fishing near the dam!!!!

TomD
05-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Its really some sound advice and I will take all suggestions/recommendations seriously. Usually what type of bottoms do you find in these areas closer to the dams? Is is snaggy and how much anchor line do you put out and what type of anchor is recommended.

I dont know anyone at the moment that I could go out with but really I think its a good idea.

Im thinking below the Cordell Hull. Ive never launched there but would probably use the launch on the lock side of the river rather than the launch in Carthage I think though its closer to where the Caney Folk joins and that Ive heard can yield some Smallies. Ive fished but never below the dam there,

Thanks ive enjoyed all the experience/s shared.

MNfisher
05-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Below most dams it's very snaggy, rocky, brush, I have lost many pounds of sinkers below dams!

Headhunter
05-16-2013, 04:04 AM
Some mornings it gets crowded, and 90+ percent of the boats are anchored, I have never seen an issue.

TomD, all of kinds of ideas have been proposed, the corps is listening to nothing. I talked to Delapp personally on the phone, he is listening to nothing.