PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory Report

Buccaneer
05-11-2013, 11:00 AM
On the water at daybreak, 56-57 degrees in main lake, 57-58 in creeks around Cages Bend. Water "stained" with surprising decent visibility. Up approx 1' from normal. Heavy current flow and lots of floaters in the main channel. Caught several short crappie right off the bat in 3' or less on red/black/chart tube jigs. Went bass fishing after that, shallow water and cane grass just starting to get tips green was the ticket. Chatterbait, white with toad trailer. Hammered them for the next couple hours. Best fish 5 lbs even. Could not tell if they were spawned out or had not spawned yet. Chunk bellies but no red tails.

MNfisher
05-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Awesome. Great report!

Travis C.
05-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Hey Buc, do you think with the water temps staying so cool this spring that everything is a moon phase behind? The coming one should really be post bass spawn start of shad spawn but it doesn't look that way.

Buccaneer
05-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Travis - What I witnessed in the shallow cane grass was what I would call a definite precurser to the shad spawn. In several grass beds the shad were thick on the outer edges and bass were actively hitting them, to the extent I pondered going topwater with a Pop R. I believe on OH you're correct, it seems to be one moon phase late. We shall see since the weather forecast has Tuesday at 80 degrees. I'm going to hit it again Sunday at dawn and go bass first, crappie second.

Bassassasin
05-11-2013, 09:25 PM
I put in at Davis corner and only fired the big motor up twice, slayed them shallow around cover with a t-rigged green pumpkin baby brush hog, No monsters, but out of 17 bass I would say 12 were keepers with a couple being close to three pounds! I actually pulled three bass off the same lay down...All fish released!

MNfisher
05-11-2013, 09:44 PM
I put in at Davis corner and only fired the big motor up twice, slayed them shallow around cover with a t-rigged green pumpkin baby brush hog, No monsters, but out of 17 bass I would say 12 were keepers with a couple being close to three pounds! I actually pulled three bass off the same lay down...All fish released!

Sounds like a great outing!

Buccaneer
05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Different story this morning on Old Hick. Water temp 55. Caught a few on same pattern as Saturday but all smaller fish. Water was clearer but still plenty of floaters tough to see in the heavy chop from the North wind.