PDA

View Full Version : Fishing past few days

MNfisher
05-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Last week was my birthday and my wife was home for a few days, so we headed to a local pond for a few hours and caught some gills. My wife doesn't fish much, so when she does, its bobbers and trout mags for her. As long as she gets action, its all good! We didn't get any huge gills, but all were nice males up shallow, no females in this spot yet.

Then i was tying to put a couple paddlefish in my freezer for a few days below Priest, but they keep on opening and closing the gates and it isn't working so well, but I did get this gar that was absolutely huge! This thing had to be pushing 30 pounds! By far biggest gar I have ever seen!

Then last night after work I headed to Center Hill Dam, mainly to see 15,600 cfs being released, Man that river is high! I wish the spillways were open, but they weren't, The lake is high enough for them to release water, but maybe due to the construction they don't want to open them. Gonna be mid June before that lake gets lowered and we can wade the caney!. At 650 right now, the lake is about 18 feet higher than they want it when the construction is going on. We won't be running out of cold water this year!

Anyways, I tossed a few baits and caught a few chunky rainbows in the 14-15" range and one brown that was around 17-18 i would guess. Didn't measure. But all were very fat!

Tons of bait up there, shad were being washed up on the rocks with the waves from the sluice, not dead ones, all alive. Millions of them.

Travis C.
05-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Looks like you could surf the Caney!

That gar was huge. State record is only 38lbs for long nose like that one you're holding.

MNfisher
05-11-2013, 11:45 AM
That gar was huge. State record is only 38lbs for long nose like that one you're holding.

Yeah, I actually looked it up, i bet it was close. But unfortunately it was foul hooked.

The caney is really something else right now!

nofish
05-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Do you snatch paddlefish? Is that the only way to catch them? My dad used to go below jpp dam in the 80s and catch them snatching. I've watched people at Cheatham snatching gar and it looked like fun although a little on the brutal side.

Those big gar scare me! I had one on a jug at priest one time and I cut the line. I was to much of a sissy to bring him in the boat. :)

Alphahawk
05-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Great pics and fish! None of the male Gills I have seen have been fanning beds. Just got in from Williamsport and caught some and it is same there.

Regards

MNfisher
05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Do you snatch paddlefish? Is that the only way to catch them? My dad used to go below jpp dam in the 80s and catch them snatching. I've watched people at Cheatham snatching gar and it looked like fun although a little on the brutal side.

Those big gar scare me! I had one on a jug at priest one time and I cut the line. I was to much of a sissy to bring him in the boat. :)

Yep, snatching them. Season goes to May 31. I agree it is slightly brutal. But the only way to get the delicious paddlefish meat! Anything gar or carp that has too much damage to it, I usually find someone who will eat it. Usually plenty below Percy that will take them.

nofish
05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Yep, snatching them. Season goes to May 31. I agree it is slightly brutal. But the only way to get the delicious paddlefish meat! Anything gar or carp that has too much damage to it, I usually find someone who will eat it. Usually plenty below Percy that will take them.

I'm not opposed to snatching at all. If it's the only way to get the sweet meat it's all good with me! I'm going in the morning to try my luck at it. Gotta find a big treble hook!

j19bill
05-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Nice gar! I plan on fly fishing for them sometime thus year.

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

Travis C.
05-12-2013, 07:19 AM
What's that broomstick setup behind you on the ground? You fishing or sweepin gym floors somewhere? :D

chaseasl
05-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Monster gar

MNfisher
05-13-2013, 09:08 AM
What's that broomstick setup behind you on the ground? You fishing or sweepin gym floors somewhere? :D

That's my catfish, rockfish, sturgeon, paddlefish rod:). 9 ft MH whuppin stick, Abu Garcia 6500 c3, 65 lb power pro. It does the job and does it well:)

vincent
05-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Nice fish.

creekcrappie
05-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Giant fish. Snagging paddle fish looks like a lot of work

Fishbus
05-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Nice fish Mike.

I was at Center Hill Saturday with two of my little boys and the water was incredible. I tried throwing some stick baits from the stairs, but was just getting washing downstream.

How did you rig to deal with that waterflow?

Thanks

MNfisher
05-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Nice fish Mike.

I was at Center Hill Saturday with two of my little boys and the water was incredible. I tried throwing some stick baits from the stairs, but was just getting washing downstream.

How did you rig to deal with that waterflow?

Thanks

I was tossing a 3 way rig with a 1 oz weight on it and a small rapala on the other end. And all my bites came from tight along the wall that the steps are on.

Fishbus
05-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Billy