PDA

View Full Version : Farm pond bass report

creekcrappie
05-09-2013, 08:40 PM
These are the bass I have been catching at the pond near my house, during the spawn time. Most of the fish were caught with texas rigged 6 inch lizards, shaky heads with zoom trick worms, and berkley havoc pit bosses. But some of them were caught on 1/4 ounce sexy shad spinnerbaits, double fluke rigs, and zoom baby brush hawgs. It has been good at this pond, catching an average of 2 fish a day. I know it does not seems like a lot of fish, but considering the fish average about 3.5 pounds, it is a lot. I caught these bass last month, all the way up to today. I had a absolute giant break me off on a shaky head while it was spawning. Most of the fish were caught in 3 foot depth water. They were scattered since there is not structure, but will not bite fast moving reactionary baits very well. Does anyone have any suggestions of a search bait that will catch them, while moving slow? Shaky head has been the bomb thought.

creekcrappie
05-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Here is some more. # 7 is a spotted bass. I wonder why it was in a farm pond. Did someone toss it in?

Alphahawk
05-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Nice fish!

Regards

bd-
05-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Are there any creeks near the pond? If so, the spotted bass might have gotten into the pond in a flood (maybe the 2010 flood).

bd

MNfisher
05-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Nice catches!

blink
05-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Good fish man! That one is a hawg fo sho!

I am pretty sure the one in photo 7 is a largemouth though.

I have been dragging a jig with craw trailer through the shallows, parallel to the bank, etc. It has worked pretty well.

creekcrappie
05-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Are there any creeks near the pond? If so, the spotted bass might have gotten into the pond in a flood (maybe the 2010 flood).

bd

One creek but you can jump across it if you had to. I saw a muskrat in it though. It flooded about 2 weeks ago, and it just got clear enought to fish about 5 days ago. It has been tough since all the cold front have been coming throught.

creekcrappie
05-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Good fish man! That one is a hawg fo sho!

I am pretty sure the one in photo 7 is a largemouth though.

I have been dragging a jig with craw trailer through the shallows, parallel to the bank, etc. It has worked pretty well.

I thought it was a spotted bass, since it had a tooth patch, and the jaw extended behind the eye.

During the winter i lost a least an 8 pounder on a big 1/2 jig. It sucked very bad. I did catch one about as big as the second one in the winter on a minnow and bobber, with 4 pound test line.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-10-2013, 08:49 AM
I thought it was a spotted bass, since it had a tooth patch, and the jaw extended behind the eye.

CC, this is a give away this is a large mouth Bass, the jaw on spots will not extend behind the eye, it will be on a straight line down from the eye, only large mouth's jaw's will extend beyond the eye. seems like you are having a great time with plenty of fish and nice pics to post, great fish man!!!

blink
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM

CC, this is a give away this is a large mouth Bass, the jaw on spots will not extend behind the eye, it will be on a straight line down from the eye, only large mouth's jaw's will extend beyond the eye. seems like you are having a great time with plenty of fish and nice pics to post, great fish man!!!

Another thing to further confuse, its not very common, but some largemouth will have the toothy tongue patch.