PDA

View Full Version : New kayak-Goldeneye-VFW 5-8-2013

Alphahawk
05-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Headed out to Goldeneye to try out new kayak....that story later.....and to try to catch some fish. Spent 3 hours there and you will see the kind of fish I was catching. A ton of 3 and 4 inch Shell Crackers. The lake bottom is covered with grass and every time I let the jig get too deep I was hung and the 2# test didn't hold up well to that. Just to let you bass guys know it has a bunch of trophy large mouth in it. They were busting the surface and busting in the trees. No oe else was on the lake. I had to get back and get a haircut. After I got back from the barber I told myself I was going to catch some decent Gills before sundown. Headed out to VFW. Caught 25 Gills at the nine inch mark. I had to work for these fish......meaning they were scattered and I was walking the bank. Any Gill you can lip is a good one. Had to unhook kayak trailer to go to barber and just didn't feel like hooking it back up. Felt good to get on some decent Gills. Will head out again tomorrow to try and find some more fish.

Regards

MNfisher
05-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Nice fish! Great rig!!

Travis C.
05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Nice boat Alpha. It looks pretty stable.

The more I see all you guys with yaks the more I want to buy one but there is no room left in my stable for a new addition. :(

Transplanted Sportsman
05-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Man Alpha!! that is a really cool looking rig!!! I have been looking hard for a Yak for a while now, there is a stretch of the Duck river close to home with really nice gills that I could get to if I had a Yak!!
Do you still have the Coosa you mentioned on previous posts?? are you interested in selling it?? I have been looking for a fishing Yak they are just too high brand new for a blue collar guy like me!!
Cool pics by the way, those fish just don't stand a chance when you are around!!

Rover1966
05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Is that a 115 Ride? I just got one two weeks ago and can't wait to get it to the water.

jad2t
05-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Man oh man oh man that pic of your kayak makes me even more excited to get mine!! Seems like you had an enjoyable day on it! Monday can't come soon enough, taking the Ride 115 out for a 'test drive' to make sure I like it and then it's mine!

agelesssone
05-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Alpha, how much does that rig weigh?:-)

Doc Marshall
05-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Let me know how you like your new ride vis a vis the Coosa. I'm most concerned with comfort and performance in the wind...

Reel Tune
05-09-2013, 01:59 PM
That kayak looks great, no wonder why that combo color/model is one of the hottest selling kayaks right now. At first I thought of it as baby poop, but it's growing on me.

Let me know how you like your new ride vis a vis the Coosa. I'm most concerned with comfort and performance in the wind...

Comfort is great, the elevated seat is really comfy. I only have 1000hrs or so in the Coosa, and approx 50-60 in the Ride 115. The Ride 115's nose dosen't catch as much wind, and you don't spin near as bad. I think the seats are actually more comfortable than the Coosa's seats.

Doc, give me a call sometime.

Alpha, how much does that rig weigh?:-)

Ride 115 = 76 -79lbs add a few more pounds for the elevated seat. I would say the heaviest you can get with seat would be around 85-87lbs, and lightest would be 76lbs.

Jeremy

Alphahawk
05-09-2013, 04:05 PM

I still have my Coosa I use for rivers...mostly now for friends and girl friend to tag along. I had over 120 days on the water last year in the Coosa. It is a well made boat....but even a breeze will spin you like a top. I told myself I wouldn't go another year being blown around like that. The Ride 115 handles like a dream in the wind compared to a Coosa.....tracking is far better. The seat is very comfortable. I would give the edge in the seat to any of the kayaks with the so called "lawn chair" seats. I like the fact that I can slide the Ride seat forward or back to trim out the boat. The Ride 115...even with elevated seat is stable as a rock. I am way too big a man....but even I would have to work at it to flip this thing. HOOK1 was one of my big reasons for getting the Ride 115. I wanted one rigged out for my kind of fishing. I am not through having that done yet but one more trip to HOOK1 and it will be finished. The kayak has a 500 pound capacity rating. Thats pretty awesome.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Man Alpha!! that is a really cool looking rig!!! I have been looking hard for a Yak for a while now, there is a stretch of the Duck river close to home with really nice gills that I could get to if I had a Yak!!
Do you still have the Coosa you mentioned on previous posts?? are you interested in selling it?? I have been looking for a fishing Yak they are just too high brand new for a blue collar guy like me!!
Cool pics by the way, those fish just don't stand a chance when you are around!!

Have to keep the Coosa for friends...mostly girl friend...LOL....or I would be in trouble. Keep checking with HOOK1....I know they were going to start taking trade ins.

Regards

agelesssone
05-09-2013, 04:11 PM
What are the advantages of a yak over a canoe?

I have a 16' Coleman canoe that weighs 65 lbs. empty. It's a little awkward to carry by myself but still manageable. And very stable too, lots more storage and easy room for two people.

Alphahawk
05-09-2013, 04:26 PM
What are the advantages of a yak over a canoe?

I have a 16' Coleman canoe that weighs 65 lbs. empty. It's a little awkward to carry by myself but still manageable. And very stable too, lots more storage and easy room for two people.

Thats a good question. Fishing kayaks...SOT....weigh more than that. I know you can get a lot more gear in a canoe. But to me a kayak is much easier to control and fish out of. NuCanoe makes a hybrid kayak that is half canoe half kayak I guess.

Regards

Transplanted Sportsman
05-10-2013, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=Alphahawk;33315]Have to keep the Coosa for friends...mostly girl friend...LOL....or I would be in trouble. Keep checking with HOOK1....I know they were going to start taking trade ins.

Regards

I will do that, thank you Alpha!!!

Alphahawk
05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=Alphahawk;33315]Have to keep the Coosa for friends...mostly girl friend...LOL....or I would be in trouble. Keep checking with HOOK1....I know they were going to start taking trade ins.

Regards

I will do that, thank you Alpha!!!

Haven't forgot about us fishing together.....just been getting out when I can. Hoping the weather will finally settle down where the Gills are in a constant biting mood.

Regards

Transplanted Sportsman
05-10-2013, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Transplanted Sportsman;33363]

Haven't forgot about us fishing together.....just been getting out when I can. Hoping the weather will finally settle down where the Gills are in a constant biting mood.

Regards

that is fine Alpha, just holler at me when the time comes, I'm really looking forward to fish with you, thank you Sir!!

nofish
05-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I've never been a fan of kayaks but man that thing looks good.

Alphahawk
05-10-2013, 04:35 PM
I've never been a fan of kayaks but man that thing looks good.

Thanks.....I figure I can only do it another 5 or 6 years then will get a boat. Its just a neat way to fish. I have to admit it takes a little effort to do it but at the end of a day of paddling and fishing I feel good about it.

Regards

ditz1
05-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Nice boat Alpha.......I have not yet been out on or in the water. Trying to get over the Mumpux right now. It has been one nasty experiance after another this spring. It has gotta get better.

nofish
05-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks.....I figure I can only do it another 5 or 6 years then will get a boat. Its just a neat way to fish. I have to admit it takes a little effort to do it but at the end of a day of paddling and fishing I feel good about it.

Regards

With that setup it looks practical and like it would be a lot of fun and peaceful.

baxterboy
05-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Alphahawk, you are the man. 120 days on the yak last year? That is incredible.

I'm in a season of life with a 2 yr old and one in the oven, so I fish maybe 15 days/year, but I look forward to later on when I can wake up and decide where to fish.

Keep the reports coming, I love reading them.

James

Alphahawk
05-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Alphahawk, you are the man. 120 days on the yak last year? That is incredible.

I'm in a season of life with a 2 yr old and one in the oven, so I fish maybe 15 days/year, but I look forward to later on when I can wake up and decide where to fish.

Keep the reports coming, I love reading them.

James

LOL.....well thanks but I am just fortunate to be able to do it. I am not sure I will get that many days in this year....meaning from March to March as that was the month I purchased my first kayak. Getting older and it sure seems to sneak up quick. I want to get more quality type days on the water going to places I don't go to on a regular basis. When I grow up as a kayaker I want to be like MidTNKayak Angler...LOL. Jeremy goes to some really great places to fish and hopefully this year I can hit up Barkley.....Kentucky Lake...and Dale Hollow. Your time for fishing will come. Forty years ago I was where you are at. I know you are enjoying the time now as it will be some of the best memories in your life with you children. I will keep my reports coming but all thanks for them should go to tk. It is great he still hosts this site. I belong to a couple of fishing forums but this one is hands down the best.

Regards