PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick 5-7-2013

Alphahawk
05-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Yesterday morning it took 2 nurses and one doctor one and a half hours to remove 7 stitches from my thumb....opening it up more than a normal removal of stitches would have done. Needless to say not only did I not go fishing yesterday but am waiting one more day to test out my new kayak. So this morning I put on waterproof band aid and headed to Pickwick to fish 3 spots from the bank that I would have given 10 to 1 odds that I would catch 100 big black Gills. Well had I done that I would be broke. I did not catch a single Gill. I caught 12 Smallies all at 11 inches....8 largemouth about 12 inches.....and 2 twenty inch cat fish. There were people fishing all around me with crickets....catching nothing. I did go over by the lock where people were catching Gills that were running the sidewalk that is under water....but no room for even one more fisherman. The water was extremely high...on both sides of dam. I don't know if this is affecting their movements or not....but I have been there many times with the water this high and caught them. So the kayak is loaded and if the weather is good in the AM am headed to Willamsport to try out the new Ride 115 and to try and catch some Gills.

Regards

jad2t
05-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Well with those smallies and LM bass I'd say you had a pretty good day of fishing regardless of not finding the gills!

Report back how you like that Ride 115. I called Shawn today over at HOOK1 to make sure he'd have one Monday for me to test out. Can't wait! Hey I have a kayaking question for you. What is your method of staying in one spot? Anchor or stakeout pole?

Alphahawk
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Well with those smallies and LM bass I'd say you had a pretty good day of fishing regardless of not finding the gills!

Report back how you like that Ride 115. I called Shawn today over at HOOK1 to make sure he'd have one Monday for me to test out. Can't wait! Hey I have a kayaking question for you. What is your method of staying in one spot? Anchor or stakeout pole?

I have a bruce anchor I use for deep water. I have an 8 foot stake out pole I got at HOOK1. I have already tried the stake out pole in my Coosa before I cut my thumb. I wish I had gotten one last year. It is well worth the money. I used it crappie fishing at Nickajack one day. It was a great tool. The crappie were maybe 3 to 4 feet off the bank....I just pulled up at that distance and parked...LOL. Then I could cast straight down the bank and every cast was in the crappie's zone. Going to find some Gill beds tomorrow and park on them.

Regards

Travis C.
05-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Nice job Alpha.

What is the Stake Out pole made of? I was thinking of making one.

Alphahawk
05-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Nice job Alpha.

What is the Stake Out pole made of? I was thinking of making one.

It is made from a "special formulated fiberglass and epoxy with a nylon tip". I have to say that even though it is a bit expensive it is worth it. The thing is super strong....light...and it floats.

Regards

jad2t
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
You can make one out of a broomstick with just a tad bit of creativity and the right tools, I may try that.

Gene G
05-07-2013, 07:01 PM
So the kayak is loaded and if the weather is good in the AM am headed to Willamsport to try out the new Ride 115 and to try and catch some Gills.

Regards

Maybe I'll see you there tomorrow. I'm going to start on Goldeneye and see what's happening there. I'm taking my wife for her first time out this year.

Alphahawk
05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Maybe I'll see you there tomorrow. I'm going to start on Goldeneye and see what's happening there. I'm taking my wife for her first time out this year.

Im very seriously considering Goldeneye. I am pretty sure I can get on some decent Gills and also some Shell Crackers in Blue Cat.....but Goldeneye has a bunch of trophy Shell Crackers in it.

Regards