PDA

View Full Version : JPP Boat Size

Jake47
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Hey all!

My wife and I are moving to Nashville in July. Looks like we will be living somewhere on the southeast side of town and therefore, it looks like I will have to get to know JPP a little bit. Is a 14' flat bottom going to be ok out there during the summer months or should I look for something a little bigger? Thanks much!

MNfisher
05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Welcome! You are going to love this area. I would think it would be fine if you don't want to travel too far on the lake via water.

Where are you moving from?

Jake47
05-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Near Madison, WI. I am really looking forward to the move though. Lakes near Madison are good, but there is a real lack of sportsmanship on the lakes. Hopefully that isn't the case here.

agelesssone
05-06-2013, 11:15 PM
On JPP in the summer time, you'll have to watch out for the pleasure boaters and the bass fishing tournaments. They will definitely rock your little boat as they fly by 30 yds away! They rock my 19 foot bass boat, so be careful in a 14 ft jon boat.

tkwalker
05-06-2013, 11:22 PM
On JPP in the summer time, you'll have to watch out for the pleasure boaters and the bass fishing tournaments. They will definitely rock your little boat as they fly by 30 yds away! They rock my 19 foot bass boat, so be careful in a 14 ft jon boat.

If you by chance can avoid the weekends is it 100% better ... <'TK><

MNfisher
05-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Near Madison, WI. I am really looking forward to the move though. Lakes near Madison are good, but there is a real lack of sportsmanship on the lakes. Hopefully that isn't the case here.

I moved here from Minneapolis area. Lots of different variety of fishing and species to chase here! No ice fishing though!

SAMBOLIE
05-07-2013, 05:31 AM
I moved here from Minneapolis area. Lots of different variety of fishing and species to chase here! No ice fishing though!

That is not all bad. :D

MNfisher
05-07-2013, 06:52 AM
That is not all bad. :D

I don't miss the weather, but sure do miss the ice fishing adventures! But I guess they come hand in hand!

browntrout
05-07-2013, 07:05 AM
I would suggest a 30 foot cruiser with machine guns mounted to the front and a shoulder RPG in case you encounter larger craft that the machine guns don't work on. Also a mounted water cannon would be handy also.

Seriously I probably wouldn't venture far out on the lake especially on the weekend. There are plenty of access points in the coves and creeks so you will find plenty of water to fish.

Roy

TNtransplant08
05-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Welcome! This is a great forum to learn from. I've learned a lot since I joined. You will fund quite a few former midwesterns on here. I'm originally from the fond du lac area in Wisconsin. I think you will enjoy it here. I think you have much more of a variety of fishing options here in TN than up north. I think you will be ok in a 14 foot Jon boat as long as you avoid the weekend pleasure boaters. Fish the early morning and late evening hours when there's less traffic in the summer. Winter is awesome as boat traffic is almost nonexistent. I just have a 12 foot rowboat with a trolling motor and I do ok.

Travis C.
05-07-2013, 08:13 AM
I would suggest a 30 foot cruiser with machine guns mounted to the front and a shoulder RPG in case you encounter larger craft that the machine guns don't work on. Also a mounted water cannon would be handy also.

Roy

This is what Roy was leaning towards but you may want to run by Bass Pro and pick up some down riggers for summertime striper/hybrid trolling.

http://www.warboats.org/Flops/Fabulous%20Flops%20of%20Naval%20Engineering_R1_fil es/image020.jpg

:D

Trealtree
05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I actually was going to ask the same question. I have a 14 ft alumacraft with a 15 hp mercury it does great out there but like they said just watch out for the recreational boaters viverette creek is a decent place go. Good luck!

nofish
05-07-2013, 01:17 PM
And when there are high winds in wide open spots of the lake like the lower end there will be some big waves that wouldn't be kind to a 14' flat bottom

nomad60
05-07-2013, 03:07 PM
this is what roy was leaning towards but you may want to run by bass pro and pick up some down riggers for summertime striper/hybrid trolling.

http://www.warboats.org/flops/fabulous%20flops%20of%20naval%20engineering_r1_fil es/image020.jpg

:d

lol!

Trealtree
05-07-2013, 06:45 PM
And when there are high winds in wide open spots of the lake like the lower end there will be some big waves that wouldn't be kind to a 14' flat bottom

Exactly that's why I wouldn't go out on a lake with high winds. I know exactly what he's talking about.

bfish
05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
jmo, but i would rather be in a 16 ft boat. 14 would work, but you will be able go more places with less concern about the weather in a 16 fter.

nomad60
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I have a 17 ft aluminum and every time one of those barges go by, or one of those bigger pleasure boats, the waves they kick up throw me around pretty good. I don't think I'd want to be on one of the bigger lakes with that thing if the wind really kicked up.