PDA

View Full Version : Drag set up 411

Transplanted Sportsman
05-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Went to Normandy Friday morning ahead of the rainy weekend, took some minnows and a good supply of TM's, water was really high looked like three feet from the top of the gates at the dam, really windy and had a hard time controling the lil' Riverhawk, I was marking fish left and right at all depths, water temp was 64 degrees.
I started drifting some jigs, minnows and TM's and was not getting any hits was getting discouraged and the wind was making it all harder, finnally I found a little area out of the wind and proceeded to get my only UL set up with a bison TM on a 1/16 black jighead, first cast using the described techniqe by Tavis twiching the TM and reeling really slow when the line just took off and hooked up onto something big!!
I wish I could tell you what it was but after 30 seconds and a third run attempt the 4 lb line broke and I was left with that sickening feeling of loosing a big one!!
Ended the day with a couple of very chunky red eye Bass and a handful of 'gils nothing to brag about but fun anyway, all fish were released to fight another day!
I do not know if that is the way the twich should be made on the TM or not but at least I was not skunked this time:D
can anybody with more experience give me some insights on how a drag should be properly set?? I would like to have a second chance at some bigger fish with light line without breaking off, any input is appreciated!!

jad2t
05-04-2013, 06:21 PM
If you're using 4lb test that drag better be pretty loose! You said the fish made 3 runs and then broke it, if the first two runs were fine then maybe your drag was properly adjusted but perhaps the fish's mouth wore the line down near the knot and caused it to break.

Also, how many fish had you caught since that knot had been tied? When I'm using 4lb test, I'll retie after every couple fish just to be safe. That's something many fishermen overlook but if you're using 6,4, or especially 2lb test and you are having a good day of fishing, you better retie that knot quite often! I one time lost a huge redfish in south Florida because of this mistake (on 15lb test).

Some people will actually use a spring or digital scale but I just do it by hand. I've been using lighter line for long enough (and lost enough fish from it) that I just know when it's loose enough.

nomad60
05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
What jad2t said :D

I keep the drag on my ultralights pretty loose. I'd rather spend more time reeling and letting the fish make runs vs. worrying about having a nice one break the line.

Alphahawk
05-04-2013, 07:48 PM
I do mine by hand and you will get the hang of it over time. As most of you know I use the 2# test and it is very rare for me to break a fish off. I have the hook pull out but that is about it. There will be times...if I am fishing in Striper waters....that if something huge hits it I will just point the rod straight towards the fish and grab the spool to break it off to keep from being spooled.

Regards

MNfisher
05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
I agree with Alpha, it just comes with experience to know how loose to have it. When I started fishing with 2 pound line. I thought I would break off a lot. I have broke off big fish a handful of times, but 100% of the time I was either horsing it in or trying to keep it from cover.

I actually had a 3 lb largemouth wrap me around a log the other day and I managed to pull her back around with the 2 lb test and land her. I blown away by the strength of 2 lb line!

jad2t
05-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I do mine by hand and you will get the hang of it over time. As most of you know I use the 2# test and it is very rare for me to break a fish off. I have the hook pull out but that is about it. There will be times...if I am fishing in Striper waters....that if something huge hits it I will just point the rod straight towards the fish and grab the spool to break it off to keep from being spooled.

Regards

That would hurt to have to do that and never know what it was! Why not let it just drag you around in the kayak until it tires out? I've only had to do that one time, many years ago when I lived in south Florida. Flats fishing in the Keys with my father, I hooked into something huge as the sun was going down and literally 15 minutes later was still fighting it and didn't really feel like I had made much progress. Who knows what it was. Sun was going down and the tide was going out so we had no choice to break the line so we could avoid spending the night on the flat.

Alphahawk
05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
That would hurt to have to do that and never know what it was! Why not let it just drag you around in the kayak until it tires out? I've only had to do that one time, many years ago when I lived in south Florida. Flats fishing in the Keys with my father, I hooked into something huge as the sun was going down and literally 15 minutes later was still fighting it and didn't really feel like I had made much progress. Who knows what it was. Sun was going down and the tide was going out so we had no choice to break the line so we could avoid spending the night on the flat.

Jimmy I only do that when I am pretty sure it is a Striper. I can...and have landed many Smallies at the 4 to 6 pound mark with that line. When in the kayak it is much better as it is like having a fail safe drag. I did play a Striper one time after he had stripped off almost 200 yards of the SOS 2# test mono. He weighed almost 10 pounds. But it took a while for that fish to come back around. I am usually below Pickwick Dam fishing for white bass or big Gills when that happens. You can tell immediately what it is. Just don't want to kill any fish if I can help it....but one never knows what will hit the TM.....no matter where one is fishing.

Regards

Transplanted Sportsman
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply guys!!, I been out busy and have not checked the site, I have since spooled my two UL setups with 2 lb line and set up the drag by hand pretty loose, I got it to the point that it screams a little bit if I try to break the line by hand by pulling the line out with my hand sharply with the bail closed, it did not break even if I tried, next time I try these on the water will report if I got it close to where it should be!!

nomad60
05-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Alpha, you have caught striper on a TM? :eek:

Alphahawk
05-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Alpha, you have caught striper on a TM? :eek:

Yep...a 10 pounder. They hit it quite often when I fish below Pickwick. I only landed the one....it tires them out too much and don't want to kill any fish needlessly. So now I just break off when a big one hits it. But there are times when the water there is teaming with literally thousands of 12 inch Striper up next to the bank below the dam. Then I have a ball catching one right after another.

Regards

nomad60
05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Yep...a 10 pounder. They hit it quite often when I fish below Pickwick. I only landed the one....it tires them out too much and don't want to kill any fish needlessly. So now I just break off when a big one hits it. But there are times when the water there is teaming with literally thousands of 12 inch Striper up next to the bank below the dam. Then I have a ball catching one right after another.

Regards

I bet that was a nice and lengthy fight.

Alphahawk
05-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I bet that was a nice and lengthy fight.

Actually it was way too long and stressful...LOL.

Regards