PDA

View Full Version : Input on sonar.

Alphahawk
05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
I am getting ready to purchase a sonar for my new Ride 115. I am very familiar with 2d sonar. I am looking at one unit in particular and would like to know if anyone has used the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI GPS Chart Plotter. I have read many reviews....some say you can't see fish with it...others say those that can't see fish displayed don't know how to use it. Being a big crappie fisherman it would do me no good to see great detail of a tree or bridge piling and not see if there were fish holding on it. I am very interested in DSI to also help me locate bluegill beds in deeper water. I know I could get the Elite 7 and have both DSI and 2d but as always it is about money. Has anyone actually used the Elite 4 DSI and if so can you readily identify fish? Does anyone have any experience with another unit that is DSI and 2d? My limit is about 400 bucks. It is the last thing to add to my new kayak and am wanting to get it done but am agonizing over the selection of a sonar unit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

JandSCattleCo
05-01-2013, 09:42 PM
I just purchased the Humminbird 581hd DI. It has down imaging and 2d sonar as well as GPS. We installed it and the transducer today so as soon as I can get it in the water ill give an update. It was $299 plus tax.

Alphahawk
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I just purchased the Humminbird 581hd DI. It has down imaging and 2d sonar as well as GPS. We installed it and the transducer today so as soon as I can get it in the water ill give an update. It was $299 plus tax.

Thanks much.

Regards

Aquaholic6801
05-02-2013, 04:11 PM
FWIW.......I have the Lowrance Mark 4 /FF/Chartplotter/GPS unit on my ski, and for the $200 it cost I am very pleased with it, I can mark crappie in brush, I can mark Hybrids in or around a school of bait, I can mark spots, I can mark trails and routes and send them to an SD card to use in other units...it has a trip logger that gives distance , top speed, average speed, and leaves a trail to follow back if needed.....

Alphahawk
05-02-2013, 08:47 PM
FWIW.......I have the Lowrance Mark 4 /FF/Chartplotter/GPS unit on my ski, and for the $200 it cost I am very pleased with it, I can mark crappie in brush, I can mark Hybrids in or around a school of bait, I can mark spots, I can mark trails and routes and send them to an SD card to use in other units...it has a trip logger that gives distance , top speed, average speed, and leaves a trail to follow back if needed.....

Thanks for the input...still looking but am leaning to the Elite 4 DSI.

Regards

nofish
05-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Wow! you'll be lethal with a depthfinder!