PDA

View Full Version : Crappie and Bluegill

MNfisher
05-01-2013, 06:51 PM
I didn't have to be anywhere until 9 today so I took advantage of that and fished from sunup until 8. I headed down to below Percy priest. They are letting a ton of water out and my spot that had the hybrid and bass in it was not fishable. After an hour of unsuccessfully trying for some big fish, I grabbed the TM rig. I scoped out the area and found some nice calm water near the current and I started tossing the trout magnet. I was pleased to find an abundance of crappie in there! I caught about 20 or so before I had to leave. They were very nice fish! I probably had 5 or so that were under 10 inches, the rest were 10-12" I also caught my first TN rockbass down there! I guess you all call them black perch or red eye. To a MN native, they will always be rock bass! HAHA!

When I got home this afternoon, I checked out a local pond. This pond is shallow and I assume the water is much warmer than the reservoirs, because there were Bluegill on bed everywhere!!

I spent about 3 hours catching well over 100 bluegill. It was as fast as I could cast with the TM. I caught 5 bass too, one was about a 17-18 incher, but as soon as i caught it, I could hear someone yelling that they wanted to eat it, due to the size of this pond, i felt it shouldn't be kept, so i quickly released it without a picture.

I caught several female bluegill that were ready to burst they were so full of eggs. I could clearly see the beds in about 2 ft of water where I was fishing.

Lots of aggressive males chasing eachother out of eachothers territory.

It was a blast! I didn't have any huge ones, but several that were pushing the half pound mark. They were beautiful fish too!

I gave away 2 trout mags because of 2 people fishing with live worms and not getting even a bite. But they had heavy line and not your ideal rig to effectively fish the TM. So unfortunately it still wasn;t working for them. But maybe i made some new TM fans!

Alphahawk
05-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Man those are great pics! I bet those male Gills gave you a good tussle.

Regards

Travis C.
05-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Congrats on the rockbass. Those lil dudes are a blast on light gear.

You've had quite a productive year fishing so far.

commdd
05-01-2013, 08:06 PM
very nice! excellent photos!

nofish
05-01-2013, 08:09 PM
My dad was down there this morning scoping out the action cause we're going to go fishing tomorrow. He said what mnfisher said, that a few guys were flat wearing the crappie out and some were catching the white bass. I'm undecided on whether to try priest or to put in on the stones. I haven't been out in my boat for about a month and I haven't been out with my dad in over a year.

Congratulations on your catches!!!!

MNfisher
05-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys! It was lots of fun!

creekcrappie
05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
What color trout magnet did you catch the bass on?

MNfisher
05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
What color trout magnet did you catch the bass on?

All fish were on purple redemption with black head.

chaseasl
05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
good deal

nomad60
05-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Nice bluegill/pics!