PDA

View Full Version : Normandy tailwater question

CreekWalker
04-30-2013, 10:40 AM
I may try to hit Normandy tailwater tomorrow afternoon in search of walleye but have never been there before. They're scheduled to pull 1,540cfs. Is this too heavy? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Transplanted Sportsman
04-30-2013, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=CreekWalker;32909]I may try to hit Normandy tailwater tomorrow afternoon in search of walleye but have never been there before. They're scheduled to pull 1,540cfs. Is this too heavy? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

CW, for this very small tailwater 1,540 cfs is a whole lot of water, and unfishable IMHO, look for releases around 300 cfs, You may want to ask Alpha since he has far more experience fishing this tailwater than anyone!, hope this helps!

Alphahawk
04-30-2013, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=CreekWalker;32909]I may try to hit Normandy tailwater tomorrow afternoon in search of walleye but have never been there before. They're scheduled to pull 1,540cfs. Is this too heavy? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

CW, for this very small tailwater 1,540 cfs is a whole lot of water, and unfishable IMHO, look for releases around 300 cfs, You may want to ask Alpha since he has far more experience fishing this tailwater than anyone!, hope this helps!

First I am not a walleye guy.....I have caught them but do not consider myself any good at it. I don't know how they would relate to that much flow. But I however would not head to Normandy with that much water flowing. As Transplanted said.....300 CFS....or less would be ok. This time of year there with flows 300 CFS and less is a great place to fish. It is very scenic there and not only can you catch stocker trout but you can get into walleye.......Kentucky's....Smallies....and crappie. Pretty neat place.

Regards

CreekWalker
05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys! You saved me about an hour and a half each way. I guess it's that time of year....all that rain last week has all the dams pulling too much water! At this rate it'll be June before it's ideal.

Alphahawk
05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys! You saved me about an hour and a half each way. I guess it's that time of year....all that rain last week has all the dams pulling too much water! At this rate it'll be June before it's ideal.

You will be surprised......that water should drop pretty quick....maybe in a week if no more rain. I'm only speaking of Normandy.

Regards