PDA

View Full Version : Knot for Braid to Fluoro

wordty
04-29-2013, 08:10 PM
I have watched countless videos on youtube for tying braid to fluoro leader...I can't do it and I am pathetic at knot tying. Any help on knot and video suggestions?

MNfisher
04-30-2013, 05:11 AM
I just use a tiny swivel, I haven't figured out an easy not that is strong for braid to flouro.

Reel Tune
04-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Uni to Uni is what I tie. Got to where I can do it in the dark with pretty good success rate. I have a buddy that uses a Spider Hitch with Bimini Twist with great success, but that's above my skill level.

Another good knot is the Albright, this is good for joining different diameter lines, and braid to mono/flouro due to the braid embracing the mono and not cutting it.

Jeremy

Buccaneer
05-01-2013, 04:05 PM
The Alberto Knot, aka Modified Albright knot. Easy to tie and strong.
http://www.stripersonline.com/a/albertos-knot

j19bill
05-01-2013, 05:25 PM
I really like the slim beauty knot. It is extremely strong.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/slim-beauty-knot/

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

wordty
05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks a ton everyone! I love FISHINGTN and all the help on here!

bd-
05-03-2013, 11:44 AM
The only braid to fluoro connection I use is really heavy stuff - I'm going from 60 lb. braid (or heavier) to 100 lb. fluoro as a bite leader for saltwater and musky fishing.

For that, a double surgeon's knot makes a strong connection that is very easy to tie. I don't have any knowledge about how well it works for lighter lines.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

Alphahawk
05-03-2013, 12:59 PM
The only braid to fluoro connection I use is really heavy stuff - I'm going from 60 lb. braid (or heavier) to 100 lb. fluoro as a bite leader for saltwater and musky fishing.

For that, a double surgeon's knot makes a strong connection that is very easy to tie. I don't have any knowledge about how well it works for lighter lines.

X2........I have been using that knot for years with 2 and 3 pound test line and it works great not only for fluro to braid but the same with mono.

Regards

Down4ttown
05-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Alberto knot is easily one of the best.

I call it maize
07-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Alberto knot is easily one of the best.

If tied correctly, the terminal knot will fail before the Alberto(modified Albright) knot will slip. Aaron Martens ties double Albright that looks good as well but I haven't had a need to try it.

Travis C.
07-05-2013, 12:45 PM

I like Alpha use that knot as well. Pretty much on every leader connection.

Depending on your situation wordty you may be better off to go braid-small swivel-fluorocarbon leader. It just depends on what your doing.

Trealtree
07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
theres an app i downloaded on my phone its called knot wars its pretty helpful it shows you a video on how to tie it step by step i dont know if it will help you but i just thought i would throw that out there.

Travis C.
07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I was tying up some leaders for fly fishing this weekend and actually ran into a fluoro knot problem. My terminal end on the leaders are 12lb fluorocarbon attached to a 14lb mono section. Every single time the Double Surgeons knot was wet then pulled tight it snapped and always the fluorocarbon was the culprit. Since the lines were brand new I added one more pass thorough the Double Surgeons in theory making it a Triple Surgeons and never had another break at all.

I haven't had this problem before on the smaller fluorocarbon lines for fly fishing but maybe it is something you can try if you're still having leaders break.

I call it maize
07-16-2013, 06:53 AM
I was tying up some leaders for fly fishing this weekend and actually ran into a fluoro knot problem. My terminal end on the leaders are 12lb fluorocarbon attached to a 14lb mono section. Every single time the Double Surgeons knot was wet then pulled tight it snapped and always the fluorocarbon was the culprit. Since the lines were brand new I added one more pass thorough the Double Surgeons in theory making it a Triple Surgeons and never had another break at all.

I haven't had this problem before on the smaller fluorocarbon lines for fly fishing but maybe it is something you can try if you're still having leaders break.

I have more issues with the terminal knot breaking than the leader connection. I like the braid to fluorocarbon combo but I may go back to p-line co-poly leader due to the occasional break offs. I find the failure to happen with the 20/10 or 20/8 combo more than 30/15. I can't remember a failure with the15#+ leader but many on the 8/10# leader knot.

I re-tie often...loosen drag...have used Palomar, SD Jam, etc, etc, etc...still have the occasional knot failure.