PDA

View Full Version : The Flooding

nomad60
04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
So, I have yet another question; with all the flooding that's going on, what happens to the fish in the river? My thinking is (and I could be totally wrong, hence the question) that with the strong current and high waters, the fish are heading into any cove they can find so once the water goes back down and the current gets back to normal, the coves should be prime places to catch fish. Or will the fishing be terrible for a while? A local guy told me that after the 2010 floods, the fishing here was pretty bleak for a year or so.

Danocaster
04-29-2013, 11:18 PM
yeah.. I'd like to hear from some w/ more experience as well

MNfisher
04-30-2013, 05:05 AM
I don't know if this helps or answers anything, but on Sunday I was working some overtime in Shelby Park and I saw about 15 carp and about a 3 lb bass that had swam up a flooded creek and were swimming down one of our walking paths! Pretty cool!

aero320
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
When I was a kid, we had a cabin on a river in southeast MO. When the water was up, we would go "gigging" at night with a lantern. As soon as the water would start falling, the fish would head for deep water.

nomad60
04-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Another thing; with the water high and the spawn happening, I wonder if some of the fish will lay eggs in areas that may be back above water in a few days.

ThrillSeeker
04-30-2013, 03:43 PM
2010 was an AWESOME year for fishing IMHO. I caught a 60lb class blue catfish on priest during the heart of the flooding that year.

Caught a lot of crappie at night under the lights later that summer and a lot of hybrid too.

nomad60
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
2010 was an AWESOME year for fishing IMHO. I caught a 60lb class blue catfish on priest during the heart of the flooding that year.

Caught a lot of crappie at night under the lights later that summer and a lot of hybrid too.

I wasn't here then so I have no personal knowledge...this guy was talking mainly about the fishing here locally, in the Cumberland river itself, close to Clarksville.

creeksmallie
05-01-2013, 07:19 PM
2010 was awesome
Center Hill fished awesome after the flood. The creeks were awesome and while the water was high it was awesome as it came down.
Since the dawn of time fish are used to floods and are ready for Mother Nature and man made floods ( Not naming names LOL )
I will say the creeks I fish will have some big fish in them since they were able to run over the small dams. The fish that were up river in post spawn and the ones that were in pre spawn still will move up to seek calm water.
Sunday I did watched mostly carpand a few gar run across a parking lot. I did see a guy catch a largemouth in a(normally dry) ditch that was full of eggs. So some bass are done and some are not.
Mike

Alphahawk
05-01-2013, 08:04 PM
2010 was awesome
Center Hill fished awesome after the flood. The creeks were awesome and while the water was high it was awesome as it came down.
Since the dawn of time fish are used to floods and are ready for Mother Nature and man made floods ( Not naming names LOL )
I will say the creeks I fish will have some big fish in them since they were able to run over the small dams. The fish that were up river in post spawn and the ones that were in pre spawn still will move up to seek calm water.
Sunday I did watched mostly carpand a few gar run across a parking lot. I did see a guy catch a largemouth in a(normally dry) ditch that was full of eggs. So some bass are done and some are not.
Mike

Center Hill fished awesome for me and my son from late March up until the flood. The water was so high in the trees we couldn't do anything.....we were fishing from the bank. In looking back at my pics we were killing big Gills and having big Smallies hook up about every tenth Gill. It was a blast. All the lakes I fished in 2010 were great for me and my son.

Regards

creeksmallie
05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
2010 pics during the high water on Center Hill ramp Is Hurricane Bridge
Wish i was up there this week!!!

Bassassasin
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
I catch my biggest bass when the water is high and in the trees, they go foraging in areas that produce lots of fresh food for them, bugs, worms ect. I usally flip a t-rigged lizzard or speed craw and just wear them out.

SAMBOLIE
05-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I catch my biggest bass when the water is high and in the trees, they go foraging in areas that produce lots of fresh food for them, bugs, worms ect. I usally flip a t-rigged lizzard or speed craw and just wear them out.

I can remember the days when I fished in the trees. Unfortunately my lure was usually in the trees 10 or 15 ft. above the water line in the trees. Scared the hell out of a lot of squirrels.

nomad60
05-03-2013, 10:59 AM
I can remember the days when I fished in the trees. Unfortunately my lure was usually in the trees 10 or 15 ft. above the water line in the trees. Scared the hell out of a lot of squirrels.

LOL

I heard we're expecting another 2-4" of rain over the weekend...I hope to be able to get back out on the water next Friday to check out a nice cove my friend showed me last time we were out.

creekcrappie
05-03-2013, 08:28 PM
I fished in the trees at couchville lake today, without any luck. One guy said he caught on thought. I saw a snake when I was wading, I thought it was a water moccasin, so I left. I was going to go to the pond by my house, but my brother stepped on my reel. So we went to academy instead.

Bassassasin
05-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I can remember the days when I fished in the trees. Unfortunately my lure was usually in the trees 10 or 15 ft. above the water line in the trees. Scared the hell out of a lot of squirrels.LOL Been there done that!