PDA

View Full Version : I want to use trout mag

master_cat
04-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Wat do I need to get rod wise line wise

Alphahawk
04-29-2013, 08:55 PM
A light or preferably a UL rod 6' 6" to 7 foot.....2#test line.....I prefer SOS brand....and a decent spinning reel with good drag. Excuse my brevity but sliced my thumb on kayak trailer. I am sure others will comment also.

Regards

browntrout
04-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Watch all of these videos and then holla back with any questions.

http://www.troutmagnet.com/video-new.php

Roy

TroutFiend
04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Light line and patience/confidence. I prefer 6.5' rod with ultralight when I can use this setup. I keep a plane Jane ugly stick 5' ultralight in my work box pickup with a Mitchell advocet reel and wear them out in creeks and the Stones River. Pink/purple and Bison are great colors for JPP, OH. I prefer the lure twitched w/o float. It seems as you are twitching it back you can hookset a lot faster than normal as if you would watching float. Just a flat out deadly lure.

jad2t
04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
I use them quite often and my setup is a 6.5 foot UL rod and Pfleuger President series reel (100yds/4lb mono reel rating). Spool is filled with 4lb mono and I use about 3 feet of 2lb flouro as a leader. The 2lb flouro is essential.

I have a bit of difficulty casting it unless I use splitshots, even with splitshots I can't cast it quite as far as I'd like to. The issue is the 4lb mono on the spool. One of these days I'll get around to changing that out to 2lb but I've just been too busy.

As for the twitch method or fishing it under a float, it depends on what kind of water you're fishing. For a pond, twitching will be fine. For faster moving water or even out in the lake on a windy day creating a chop on the water, fishing it under a float can be very effective because the chop will move the float up and down giving the TM or CM all the action you want. It's kind of boring though for me, I'm not a bobber fisherman.

These things simply catch fish, all kinds of fish so don't think for second you're limited to trout and crappie because of the name. I've either caught or seen caught just about every species of fish that swims in Tennessee water caught on these (except walleye and sauger but I'm sure that's possible).

Alphahawk
04-29-2013, 10:11 PM
They will catch anything. Here is part of a limit of walleye my son and I caught below Normandy Dam on a black Trout Magnet a couple of years back......never tried catching them again. They are probably there right now. Now I don't suggest one go out walleye fishing with Trout Magnets....there are better baits for that. But everything will hit them. tk has the right walleye set up. Someday I hope I can sit back and troll for those things in a nice boat.

Regards

jad2t
04-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Ah ha! It can be done! I figured they'd hit a trout or crappie magnet. I'm assuming you caught those with no generation right? Just the little bit of runoff that dam always has? I've been there before with just that tiny bit of flow and done well with a trout magnet. No walleye but plenty of trout, crappie, and bluegill.