PDA

View Full Version : Kayak over bass boat

Rover1966
04-28-2013, 08:31 AM
So I sold my bass boat and have to decided to return to my roots and get another fishing kayak. I grew up in Bethpage TN wading/fishing Bledsoe creek. I'm burnt out on gas prices and inconsiderate boaters. I may get another boat someday but for now I'm shopping kayaks. Been looking at the perception pescador 10 and or 12. Anyone have any thoughts? I have had a 9.5 ft heritage yak before. Just not sure if a 12 footer will be too much yak for the creeks.

Alphahawk
04-28-2013, 09:04 AM
So I sold my bass boat and have to decided to return to my roots and get another fishing kayak. I grew up in Bethpage TN wading/fishing Bledsoe creek. I'm burnt out on gas prices and inconsiderate boaters. I may get another boat someday but for now I'm shopping kayaks. Been looking at the perception pescador 10 and or 12. Anyone have any thoughts? I have had a 9.5 ft heritage yak before. Just not sure if a 12 footer will be too much yak for the creeks.

I spent some good times on my moms farm up at Oak Grove over 40 years ago...good times. Bledsoe Creek....Drakes Creek....some good fishing I had there. I would highly suggest you head down to HOOK 1 in Hendersonville. I spent about 4 hours there yesterday and learned more than I had learned from having my kayak in the water well over 120 days in the last year. I will now be fishing out of a kayak rigged the way I wanted and for the first time will be organized. The knowledge base Chad has can help you select the right boat for your particular needs.....they have a ton of kayaks in there also...to fit any situation....and all the rigging gear you could dream up.

Regards

Reel Tune
04-28-2013, 05:18 PM
11' 6" is the shortest I would personally go, and if it was that short it would have to be atleast 31" wide. As for not dealing with boaters you will have to stay in creeks and smaller rivers, so it doesn't sound like you need anything that is real efficient paddling. You want to get something that will hold you and all the gear you plan on taking and then plus a few more pounds.

Jeremy

Rover1966
05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Bought a wilderness systems Ride115. It's 11' 6" and 35 " wide. Got it at Hook1 in Hendersonville.

Alphahawk
05-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Good deal! I have one sitting on the trailer just waiting to get stitches out of thumb and get it slimed. What color did you get?

Regards

crappiecrazy
05-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Good deal! I have one sitting on the trailer just waiting to get stitches out of thumb and get it slimed. What color did you get?

Regards

What kind of trailer?

Alphahawk
05-04-2013, 10:39 PM
What kind of trailer?

I have a Malone Micro Sport XT kayak trailer....wanted the Yakima Rack and Roll....but as always it's about the money. Sure has made my life with a kayak much easier....no more car topping.

Regards

crappiecrazy
05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I have a Malone Micro Sport XT kayak trailer....wanted the Yakima Rack and Roll....but as always it's about the money. Sure has made my life with a kayak much easier....no more car topping.

Regards

I read some reviews on Paddling.net. All good! Can't wait to hear yours in a few months. I am getting a little tired of cartoping. I hope your trailor does not bounce all over the place going down bumpy roads.

Alphahawk
05-05-2013, 01:04 PM
I read some reviews on Paddling.net. All good! Can't wait to hear yours in a few months. I am getting a little tired of cartoping. I hope your trailor does not bounce all over the place going down bumpy roads.

It is a good trailer. I used it all of last summer and this fall. It does bounce some. It is only 230 pounds. I have towed a lot of miles at interstate speed. It tracks great. The Yakima Rack and Roll is much lighter and has shocks instead of springs. It is also all aluminum. It is a better trailer but has a much higher price.

Regards

Rover1966
05-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Regards

Camo

Rover1966
05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
So with my new yak being about 30lbs heavier (80lbs total) I thought about getting a cart to help me get it to the water. Any thoughts?

Alphahawk
05-05-2013, 02:02 PM
So with my new yak being about 30lbs heavier (80lbs total) I thought about getting a cart to help me get it to the water. Any thoughts?

Check out Craig's List. The C Tug is supposed to be a good one. I got a great deal on a cart two years back....has inflatable tires....but as with any inflatable low pressure tires they leak a lot. IMHO I would look for cart with solid tires.

Regards