PDA

View Full Version : Most versatile rod and reel combos?

hunter24
04-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to this site but have been small water fishing all my life. Recently bought a boat to start fishing lakes and rivers. I'll be fishing for bass and panfish.

Looking for suggestions on most versatile rod and reel combos or just rods. I've done a lot of reading and I'm thinking I need a good 7' medium action rod for crank baits and light spinners. Maybe a 7' medium heavy for bigger stuff and jigs.

I am going to purchase 4 more rods and reels within the next couple of weeks. 2 baitcasters and 2 spinning.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe your favorite combos or something of that nature. Thanks guys. Enjoyed reading the threads here. I'm partial to shimano reels but open to any advice.

Travis C.
04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Welcome!

I think you are heading in the right direction with your choices so far. You'll find there is no real "golden rule" to combo setups. Basically apply the rods/line to what type of fishing you want to do or think you'll do the most. Unless you're cranking a lot the reel just needs to be smooth for casting and have capacity to hold a fair amount of line.

Guess what I am saying is don't over reach too far on the reel that you sacrifice the quality of the rod. My order would be Rod, Line then Reel. Cheap in the first two will negate the last one but make sure the last one is good enough to do the job.

I have always used Shimano's or Pfleugers too but in the last few years Abu Garcia's have really impressed me even the $50 black max feels as smooth as my older curado.

For rods just have to shake them and get a feel in your hand to what you like. I do suggest Temple Fork Outfitters rods as they are made with the help of Gary Loomis and for around $100 you get a no fault lifetime warranty.