PDA

View Full Version : Good Day To End a Good Week

nomad60
04-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I took the week off and got to fish every day except Wednesday due to the rains and although I didn't catch a lot of fish, I have to say it was a good week and I learned a few things.
Today, my fishing partner joined me since he was off work but he had to be back at the ramp by noon since he had stuff to do. I figured if the fish were biting, I could drop him off and keep going but that point was moot when at 11:45 the rain we weren't supposed to get started coming down pretty hard and it was a cold rain too.
The good news is, we caught some fish and I caught more spots today than I've caught the entire 1 1/2 years I've been here. Most of them were dinks but one was decent enough size. I guess those spots like moving water because all of them came from around rocks in pretty good current, and all were caught on black, 4" senkos.
Since the river is still moving right along and the water is pretty dirty, we went to another lagoon we know about to get out of the current and did pretty good in there too, catching LM bass. The fish were real tight to cover, and in very shallow water too. All the fish we caught came out of about a foot of water and the only thing we caught them on were 4" senkos, black and also watermelon with red flakes, fished very slow.
Also got to see a gar just sitting near the surface, acting like it didn't have a worry in the world.

Transplanted Sportsman
04-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Good deal Nomad!!, finally got into them, send some of that good luck my way!! you are right about that gar, cool pics, thanks for sharing!!

Travis C.
04-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Nice job...I need to get on the river more this year.

MNfisher
04-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Nice job Nomad! Looks like a great day!

Alphahawk
04-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Good looking fish and pics! Glad you had a good week of fishing.

Regards

commdd
04-26-2013, 07:19 PM
great catch! thanks for the report and info..I have not seen fish that shallow this year so will give that a try.

chaseasl
04-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a fun trip

nomad60
04-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys!

commdd, yeah, not sure if it was the stained water or what but every fish we caught either came from in between some kind of vegetation or they were right up against a downed log and all of them came out of about a foot of water. We also noticed that the water level was dropping while we were fishing, not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. And they would only hit 4" Senkos to boot. We tried spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, redeye shad, shallow cranks, jigs and even a A-rig with some smaller swimbaits on it, not a nibble. The fish were not in a chasing mood. Even with the Senko, you practically had to hit them on the head with the lure and once they took it, they would just inhale and hold in place...more like a winter bite than what I would expect in warmer weather.