PDA

View Full Version : Restraining Order

RADUTY
04-23-2013, 06:40 PM
On April 12, a letter under the heading of the Congress of the United States was sent to Assistant Secretary of the Army - Civil Works, Joe- Ellen Darcy. The letter was signed by all 4 U.S. Senators representing the States of Tennessee, and Kentucky and the 6 U.S. Congressmen from both States who are Coauthors to the House Version of the Freedom to Fish Act. The bottom line of the letter's content seeks an immediate delay to restricting public access to our river tail-waters. As of this date, there is no indication that ASA Darcy has responded in any way. It has become exceedingly clear that without court intervention, the Corps will move forward with the barricades. There are some reports that indicate that work has begun in the river below Cordell Hull Dam.

In a letter to Governor Bill Haslam dated April 5, the Governor was reminded that the rivers and the fish within belong to the public; not the United States Army, and that the State is entrusted with protection of those public assets. Governor Haslam courteously and professionally replied on April 12. In his letter, the final line says in reference to the Corps, "I am hopeful that they will change their position." The Governor, is hopeful...

I urge all who can pick up a phone or key-stroke a note, to contact those who have already proven to go beyond "hopeful", and gone into action. Your Tennessee General Assembly has already unanimously approved Joint Resolution SJR 132, the language of which tells the Corps, to back off from any plans to keep us from our rivers. The voice of the people has spoken - unanimously. Apparently that voice was not loud enough for our Governor to hear.

Posted separately, are the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of every Tennessee State Senator. I would urge all who care, to contact those Senators - not just your own - to thank them profoundly for SJR 132, but also to tell them the Governor did not hear them, on our behalf. Implore our state senators to turn up the volume. Ask them to tell the Governor and Attorney General, Robert Cooper that under very well proven Public Trust Doctrine, case law, and several Supreme Court decisions, these rivers belong to us. Further, as trustees of the public rivers, the State, has the obligation, and responsibility, to protect our assets from arbitrary intervention by any federal entity. Ask our senators to tell the Governor, and the Attorney General that it is time for a Temporary Restraining Order against the United States Army Corp of Engineers, preventing them from erecting permanent physical restrictions to any section, of any river, below any dam in the State of Tennessee.

Let’s give our Federal Congressional leaders the time they need to wade through the bureaucratic priorities in front of them and the Freedom to Fish Act. A Temporary Restraining Order will do just that.

Senate list to follow:

OAS_5150
04-23-2013, 10:08 PM
I have no dog in the fight I've never had the privilege of fishing below any of these dams they're talking about, unfortunately. But I have read into this issue a few places and still have no clue what the reasoning behind all this madness could be and up until now I didn't realize this was a federal ordeal. I'm very curious on the thinking behind it and if it is just in this state than WHY? Sorry in advance if this answer has already been answered

tkwalker
04-23-2013, 11:18 PM
I have no dog in the fight I've never had the privilege of fishing below any of these dams they're talking about, unfortunately. But I have read into this issue a few places and still have no clue what the reasoning behind all this madness could be and up until now I didn't realize this was a federal ordeal. I'm very curious on the thinking behind it and if it is just in this state than WHY? Sorry in advance if this answer has already been answered

Go back 3 to 9 pages of the forum ... Big Brother Gov wants to dictate our lives ... For reasons that we can not understand ... Thank God we Have out High powered Senators representing us from KY and TN >>> Jump on the band wagon <'TK><

OAS_5150
04-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Wow what a stupid question on my part. I apologize. Lot of reading to get caught up

RADUTY
04-24-2013, 09:40 AM
You DO have a dog in this hunt, if you believe that arbitrary seizure of public lands or waters is a dangerous precedent. It violates centuries of Public Trust Doctrine, Tennessee State Law, and Article 1, Section 2 of the Tennessee Constitution.

Go to this site, and see the Corp's self-proclaimed "Property Line", and the intended physical barriers.
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/About/Organization/Operations/RestrictedAreasAroundDams/CordellHullDamBoundary.aspx (http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/About/Organization/Operations/RestrictedAreasAroundDams/CordellHullDamBoundary.aspx)