PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 561 DI

JandSCattleCo
04-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Looks like I will be needing a new depth finder for the bow of my boat due to unforeseen circumstances. I've been looking at the 561 DI for the bow as at is where I mostly fish. However, for the DI to work the boat must be in onward motion. If I have it mounted to my trolling motor, will slow trolling or the wind swinging me be enough for it to read? If the transducer is mounted on the TM, will the down image be affected when I turn? (I'm thinking it would)

Also, if it doesn't read, the 2D will work, correct?

Thanks!

Jdkxtreme
04-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like I will be needing a new depth finder for the bow of my boat due to unforeseen circumstances. I've been looking at the 561 DI for the bow as at is where I mostly fish. However, for the DI to work the boat must be in onward motion. If I have it mounted to my trolling motor, will slow trolling or the wind swinging me be enough for it to read? If the transducer is mounted on the TM, will the down image be affected when I turn? (I'm thinking it would)

Also, if it doesn't read, the 2D will work, correct?

Thanks!

I was told on my lowrance DSI that I needed to be going around 2 MPH..

JandSCattleCo
04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Is DI even really worth it? I mean I know it will be helpful but how useful is it for crappie fishing?

Anyone please advise!

Jdkxtreme
04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
I need to take time to really learn how to use mine. I spend my time on the water fishing instead of figuring it out. It does tell me the water temp good and the water depth. I also got to use the GPS to get me home in the dark the other night.

Transplanted Sportsman
04-23-2013, 07:11 PM
IMHO the DI is worth it, I have only had one so I'm by no means an expert or even a knowledgable guy, last year I bought a HB 798 and it is really cool when you are hovering over some pieces of cover, like standing timber or sunken trees and you can pick fish from individual branches specially Crapie fishing, but on the same token if you are familiar with them you may not need it, but to me being new to the game is invaluable, but there are many features I have yet to figure out, just my $0.2

JandSCattleCo
04-23-2013, 10:37 PM
So now I've started looking at the HB 581 HD DI that has the built in GPS. If I get this and mount transducer on my trolling motor and want to set a mark, but the transducer is out of the water, I should be fine because the GPS is in the unit and not the transducer, correct?