PDA

View Full Version : Spooling line on a spinning reel

MattC
04-19-2013, 07:30 PM
I have been having the hardest time successfully spooling mono on my spinning reels lately. I used to be able to do it flawlessly. Everytime I finish, the line (bps excel mono) literally starts unraveling itself from the spool. Also when I was helping a friend do it, I noticed that the line seems to be unevenly distributed on the spool, the line would stack thicker at the bottom and would have almost a little gap at the top so it would look like it was widening on the way down. I always make sure the line is coming off of the spool the same direction it is wrapping onto the reel, while letting the line run through my fingers to give it a little tight tension. I dont know if I got a bad spool, although its happened on different spools. Any info or tips would help

Gene G
04-19-2013, 09:51 PM
After I get my reel full and cut the line free of the original spool, I walk all of the line off of the reel in a straight line. Do not have any "piles" of line. I then pinch the line between my fingers and rewind the line. This will remove any twist in your line and also help level it on your reel. I will also do this when my line starts to twist after a while of fishing. You can also "play" the line out behind your boat as you are moving or down the creek where the water is moving. Make sure that you don't have anything tied to end that will prevent the line from untwisting.

Gene

creekcrappie
04-21-2013, 01:24 PM
When you are spooling it, put the line in between a couple heavy books, and then spool it. The weight will prevent tangles.

Travis C.
04-22-2013, 07:17 AM
There are several tricks to do it but once the line is on there and you engage the reel with the handle after a cast or reel while the drag is being pulled it won't matter how you put it on. The line will have twist. Reeling while drag is being pulled puts a heck of a twist down in the line and the spool actually turns 1-1.5 times before it ever picks up the line when engaged by handle.