PDA

View Full Version : Battery for Depth Finder

wordty
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I have a 14 foot john boat. I use a deep cycle rv battery for running the trolling motor...I just put a depth finder on it yesterday and it was suggested that i use a separate battery for the depth finder to avoid interference.

The person speaking suggested a motorcycle battery as it is smaller and less space / weight....

Any comments / ideas / suggestions / input on this? I guess I can get one at Walmart?

If you suggest something, please give an idea of price and where I can get it...thanks!

Transplanted Sportsman
04-17-2013, 05:05 PM
I use a small 12 volt battery from walmart that is meant to be used on the deer feeders it last me all day and then some, you can find it on the sporting goods section for $19.00, it is small and saves on the space and weight ideal for kayakers and small watercraft, I used to carry a lawn mower battery that is about twice as heavy for about $30.00 half the price ofg a motorcycle battery, but it will last you for several days before needing recharging, which ever way you go, make sure you recharge it as soon as possible to get the most out of your battery, the same goes for the trolling motor battery, i just had to replace a marine trolling motor battery after one year of use because my failure to recharge it right away, and they are not cheap!! one more thing do not skip the fuse step on the fish finder!!

skiff_life
04-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I ran a trolling motor and depth finder off the same battery in a john boat for years - no problem. I now run a 50 lb. thrust Minn Kota and Garmin depth finder off the same battery with the transponder mounted on the trolling motor - again, no problem. I would save the space, weight, and hassle of second battery. If you see some kind of interference you can always go to a second battery.

Aquaholic6801
04-19-2013, 08:06 AM
i ran a trolling motor and depth finder off the same battery in a john boat for years - no problem. I now run a 50 lb. Thrust minn kota and garmin depth finder off the same battery with the transponder mounted on the trolling motor - again, no problem. I would save the space, weight, and hassle of second battery. If you see some kind of interference you can always go to a second battery.

+1