PDA

View Full Version : broken boat motor

navydocivan
04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
I accidently broke the fitting off of the oil resiviour when i was changing out a battery. Of course they are made out out that black plastic not and not brass.
I attempted to glue it with 2 part e poxy but that dont seem to be hardening, Anyone know what will bond this fitting back on? IM thinking JB weld but im not sure if it will work. I think the term is poly ethylene or something. I looked up a new 1 and it over $100 to replace so i just wanna fix it if i can I dont think these system work under high pressure. so as long as i get it fixed i dont think it shold leak.

this is a 175 merc by the way and it had oil injection and this is where the hose connests to the big oil tank

SAMBOLIE
04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Disconnect the injection system and add oil to the fuel. Eliminates oil injector failure.

navydocivan
04-09-2013, 10:47 AM
i dont wanna disconnect the system .. and i had a onboard tank id have no clue how much oil to put in it ..

browntrout
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Consider yourself lucky that it broke. Disconnect it and remove it and mix the oil yourself. I have several friends that got to buy new engines due to those things failing.

Roy

SAMBOLIE
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
i dont wanna disconnect the system .. and i had a onboard tank id have no clue how much oil to put in it ..

A little more trouble but worth it.
Here is a guide:
http://www.southernskies.net/page_info/gas_mix.html
Just round up on the ozs. if you are not comfortable with the fractions of ozs.

tkwalker
04-09-2013, 11:30 AM

I have a couple Dozen of used Oil Res Tanks all types and models (Don't know one from the other) Picked up in a dealer buy out... I am sure we can get something working for you ... I am Very Reasonable :eek: <'TK>< ;)

agelesssone
04-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I broke a fitting like that on an external fuel pump (just like an out board's fuel pump) and used crazy glue to mend it.

It was still intact two years later when I sold the welding machine. I gave the buyer the new fuel pump just in case the fitting ever came apart. Last I heard, (three years after I sold it) it was still hangin in there.

You'd have to clean both pieces very well with toulene, mineral spirits, acetone, etc. to make sure the pieces were free from oil before you glue them back together.

Buccaneer
04-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Trust me you will want to fix that correctly with a new or good used part (take up TK on looking at what he has from the stockpile of reservoir tanks). You can't risk the possibility of an entry point for air on the suction side of the line as that would cause the oil line to lose it's prime and cause loss of oil feed to the fuel pump. The results of which would be disaster unless you have enough money to rebuild a blown powerhead. $100 or whatever you work out with TK pales in comparrison to the alternative.

tkwalker
04-13-2013, 09:38 PM
The first tank system I came up with was an exact match to his system also with a gallon of oil in the tank .... No charge ... Hope he enjoys it .... <'TK><

navydocivan
04-14-2013, 01:23 AM
The first tank system I came up with was an exact match to his system also with a gallon of oil in the tank .... No charge ... Hope he enjoys it .... <'TK><

Worked just great, TK you are a great American, it was good to meet you and thanks again, I was snakebitten again this morning though. Woke up this morning to a BROKEN water heater... So about 700.00 later. I got a new heater. It sure helps to be a little handy and be able to hook the new one up myself. I sure am glad they come up with the new shark tooth pipe conectors for sure. I people knew how easy they work they sure would hire a plummer to replace things like that.