PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten Weights

Jdkxtreme
03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Can someone give me a somewhat simple answer to why these are better than the cheaper lead weights?

Spencer L
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Well the most obvious is that they are smaller than the lead weights. My look on the benefit to that is that when you set the hook it needs a smaller gap to come out of a fishes mouth. Therefore making your hook up ratio. They are also much harder than lead. This makes it easier to feel the bottom and what you are pulling a bait over.

Alphahawk
03-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Can someone give me a somewhat simple answer to why these are better than the cheaper lead weights?

There are a couple of ways to answer that. If you are fishing for bass...or any fish....and are wanting to do everything you can to get more feel tungsten will do that. If you fish UL and want to get a small profile jig down deep you can use tungsten as it is 1.7 times the weight of the same dimension size of lead. I have jig heads in the 5mm and 3mm size. The 5mm is a little larger than a Trout Magnet head but it feels like an anchor on the end of an UL rig with 2# test line. The 3mm is slightly smaller than a TM jig head but is almost double the weight. If I wait for a TM jig head to get down 30 feet I will be waiting all day. I only use them for deep water situations. For shallow or suspended fish I stick with the 1/64 ounce lead TM jig head. Time is not an issue in 6 feet of water and I don't want my fall rate to be that fast when fish are shallow or suspended. So I can keep my small profile I want and can almost double my weight. I will always use lead for shallow as it is far cheaper and I don't want to lose anymore tungsten than I have to. The stuff is expensive. In talking with several bass anglers they tell me they use it in a tournament situation only. A tungsten worm weight can be as much as eight dollars. I can attest that you do get superior feel with the stuff. The stuff is so dense it really transmits the bite up the line. People have asked me why I just don't use say a 1/16 ounce lead head. I would lose the small profile I want and as far as I can tell you can't buy a 1/16 ounce lead head with a #10 hook. My last batch of 3mm were made for me and the beads are put on the hook with epoxy. I have thought about doing my own but will need to buy a fly vise...and other tools I guess. Hope that has helped some.

Regards

bfish
03-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Alpha,

FYI, FishUSA dot com have their ice jigs on sale, several tungsten models.

Also a cheap vice from Janns Netcraft or similar should be under $15.

Travis C.
03-27-2013, 09:09 AM
There are a couple of ways to answer that. If you are fishing for bass...or any fish....and are wanting to do everything you can to get more feel tungsten will do that. If you fish UL and want to get a small profile jig down deep you can use tungsten as it is 1.7 times the weight of the same dimension size of lead. I have jig heads in the 5mm and 3mm size. The 5mm is a little larger than a Trout Magnet head but it feels like an anchor on the end of an UL rig with 2# test line. The 3mm is slightly smaller than a TM jig head but is almost double the weight. If I wait for a TM jig head to get down 30 feet I will be waiting all day. I only use them for deep water situations. For shallow or suspended fish I stick with the 1/64 ounce lead TM jig head. Time is not an issue in 6 feet of water and I don't want my fall rate to be that fast when fish are shallow or suspended. So I can keep my small profile I want and can almost double my weight. I will always use lead for shallow as it is far cheaper and I don't want to lose anymore tungsten than I have to. The stuff is expensive. In talking with several bass anglers they tell me they use it in a tournament situation only. A tungsten worm weight can be as much as eight dollars. I can attest that you do get superior feel with the stuff. The stuff is so dense it really transmits the bite up the line. People have asked me why I just don't use say a 1/16 ounce lead head. I would lose the small profile I want and as far as I can tell you can't buy a 1/16 ounce lead head with a #10 hook. My last batch of 3mm were made for me and the beads are put on the hook with epoxy. I have thought about doing my own but will need to buy a fly vise...and other tools I guess. Hope that has helped some.

Regards

Now can Alpha give "a somewhat complex answer as to why they are better than the cheaper lead weights"... :D :)

Alphahawk
03-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Now can Alpha give "a somewhat complex answer as to why they are better than the cheaper lead weights"... :D :)

LOL....I thought about that after I replied.....I guess TMI.....LOL. But if you are an UL guy or a largemouth guy the reasons for using tungsten are completely different. Plus while I am not sure I agree with the places that prohibit lead I think we will see more of that taking place in the coming years. Oh....as soon as I finish icing I am headed to Williamsport to try for some Gills and crappie.

Regards

Reel Tune
03-27-2013, 10:48 AM
All great responses. I switched over to all Tungsten a couple years ago, and the main reason is because it keeps its form. To many times I would pull a lead bullet weight out of the tray and the opening would be smashed and I would have to open it back up, they don't get beat up. I've had the opening on a lead bullet weight get slightly smashed and shave, or nick my flouro leader. Tungsten keeps its form. Price of Tungsten is more expensive, but that doesn't bother me because I don't go through many.

Jeremy

BMelton
03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Any one care to try a few carbide prototypes?

Alphahawk
03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

Are you talking about carbide mixed in with tungsten?

Regards

Reel Tune
03-28-2013, 07:47 AM

We talking bullet weights, egg sinkers, split shots, jig heads? I would be interested in acquiring a few to check out and see what I thought and give a review, or thoughts on them.

Jeremy

Alphahawk
03-28-2013, 08:10 AM
We talking bullet weights, egg sinkers, split shots, jig heads? I would be interested in acquiring a few to check out and see what I thought and give a review, or thoughts on them.

Jeremy

I just use jig heads for the Trout Magnet. I know you do some UL fishing so when I make it up to HOOK1 to get my kayak.....they haven't called yet so I guess it is not ready, not in that big of a hurry until weather is better.....I will drop you off some with Chad. Since you use tungsten for bass I don't have to tell you how they transmit that feeling up the line.

Regards