PDA

View Full Version : J.percy priest lake hybrid

Jkfishing
03-18-2013, 06:58 PM
I caught this nice hybrid while fishing at j.percy priest lake.
I guess about ten pounds but it was the only bite for today pretty slow day but this fish made my day!!:)

Alphahawk
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
That fish would make my day too....LOL. Sure is a fatty.

Regards

MNfisher
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Awesome fish!! Congrats!!

StriperFan
03-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Yep, thats a good one.

bigbird
03-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Are they typically fatter than a rockfish of the same length? The reason I ask is because I've caught several rocks that length but never so fat. Congratulations!

MNfisher
03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Are they typically fatter than a rockfish of the same length? The reason I ask is because I've caught several rocks that length but never so fat. Congratulations!

A hybrid is shaped more like a football, more up and down. A rockfish is built much more slender. But this time of year a rockfish should have one heck of a belly too!

bigbird
03-20-2013, 10:34 AM
After this shad kill on OH everything should be fatter!

chaseasl
03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
good one

aero320
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
In some instances, hybrids and stripers can appear very similar. To separate them, look at the anal fins. The length ratio of the second and third anal fin on the hybrid will be approximately 2/3. This characteristic comes from the white bass component of the hybrid.

The length ratio on the second and third anal fin on the striper will be approximately 1/2.

Hybrids will also have two patches on the top of the tongue. This characteristic comes from the striper component of the hybrid.

White bass will have a single patch on the tongue.

Let's say you are below the dam catching white bass and have 15 fish that range in size from 10" to 14". You are legal. If in fact some (or all) of those fish are small hybrids, not only have you exceeded the limit (hybrid and striper limits are 2 fish per day), none of your fish are long enough to keep since the size limit on hybrids is 15". If the game warden catches you it will be a costly mistake.

If you are in a body of water that has both white bass and hybrids (JPP, Tims Ford, OH, all of the river systems), make sure of what you are keeping. The white bass will have a single patch on the top of the tongue; the hybrid will have two patches on the top of the tongue.