PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Creek dam completed

CreekWalker
03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I read in the Tennessean that the Corps may try to bring the lake level up as much as 20' towards the end of the year. Perhaps next year it'll be able to handle normal summer pool.

Curious how many years of increased flows below the dam ya'll think it'll take to get the trout fishery from really good to great?!

old sailor
03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I read in the Tennessean that the Corps may try to bring the lake level up as much as 20' towards the end of the year. Perhaps next year it'll be able to handle normal summer pool.

Curious how many years of increased flows below the dam ya'll think it'll take to get the trout fishery from really good to great?!

I would not have any idea ; however , I do love to fish that area. I have fished it from dam past Burkesville for trout and rockfish several times. It's a heck of a fishery.

Reel Tune
03-08-2013, 12:46 PM
This is great news.

MNfisher
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
That is fantastic!

CreekWalker
03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I would not have any idea ; however , I do love to fish that area. I have fished it from dam past Burkesville for trout and rockfish several times. It's a heck of a fishery.

A few years ago I was out in the Burkesville area with guide Randall Gibson and he put us on some good trout holes. The stripers weren't playing balll that day so a dozen or so browns from 15" to 22" made for a heck of a back-up plan! I don't have nearly as much experience there compared to the Caney but there's quite a bit more water to work with and I have to believe that after a few years of increased flow there would be trophies in every hole?!

old sailor
03-08-2013, 03:56 PM
A few years ago I was out in the Burkesville area with guide Randall Gibson and he put us on some good trout holes. The stripers weren't playing balll that day so a dozen or so browns from 15" to 22" made for a heck of a back-up plan! I don't have nearly as much experience there compared to the Caney but there's quite a bit more water to work with and I have to believe that after a few years of increased flow there would be trophies in every hole?!

I'd say you are right it has all the necessary things, plenty of long shallow runs , lots of deep holes and plenty of bait .

Travis C.
03-08-2013, 03:58 PM
My understanding was that tailwater suffered badly from the construction. Mike Anderson would probably know more if he see's this thread but it will take several years to get back to quality then some more time to get the sheer quality throughout the trout stretches it once had.

Travis C.
03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
At least knowing this, that flicker of light at the end of the long dark Caney tunnel just got a bit brighter.