PDA

View Full Version : Beach fishing questions

MattC
03-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I am going to destin for spring break the first week of April and I want to try saltwater fishing for the first time. I have no idea where to start though. What size rod/reel and line do I need? What lures/bait? Best time of day?
Want to be fishing from the beach or pier.

Mr.Duk
03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Matt, my best success has been spinning gear with 15-20 lb test. I usually use a 7.5 medium heavy rod. Once you get there find a bait shop and ask what is best live bait and rigging. $10 bucks in tackle and you are set. I like shrimp so I carry a plastic bait bucket with a rope so it can float as I wade. You will need to tie a leader. My 2 cents.
Mike

Reel Tune
03-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Depends on what you want to target. Reds, Trout and Flounder in the creeks, and most just off the beach you can handle with Med action spinning gear or casting spooled with 10-12lb mono, or 20lb power pro.

Once you start getting into bigger reds and kings med/heavy to heavy action spinning gear and casting gear with 40lb power pro or 15-17lb mono with line capacity of atleast 175-200yards. Smoker Kings are called that for a reason.

You should be able to get away with med-med heavy gear. Gulp Shrimp, Gulp Mullet, cast netted, or sabiki rigged baitfish, squid, live or frozen shrimp are my best producers. I also like spooks, and gold spoons in the bays and creeks.

You should be able to get away with using your freshwater gear, and just throw it in the shower for 15 min under warm water after you are done.

Jeremy