PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork 3/2/13

MNfisher
03-02-2013, 11:06 PM
I headed to the Caney today, since they shut off the water at 9, i headed to Happy. I waded form 12-3, managed 8 nice trout from 12-16", bows and browns. I missed several also. Also found 4 nice crappie and a very nice gill in a hole at Happy. Didnt bring the camera wading.

Then they turned on the generator at 4. went to fish the dam, caught about a dozen 13-16" brooks, browns, and bows at the dam. Fished until 6. Used trout mags, husky jerks, and spoons.

I took a picture of about a 15" bow and a 14-15" brown. I noticed that the brown was missing BOTH of its pectoral fins. There was just a little nub on both sides. Surprised to see if 15" and FAT. Must not affect if much.

jad2t
03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Nice work man!! I believe the brown with both pectoral fins missing was a recent stocker, I've read they get clipped off before stocking them.

You fished a TM during generation at the dam?? Did you have like 8 splitshots on it? I tried that one time but couldn't keep the lure down unless I added a bunch of weight and I wasn't sure if that would affect how well it catches fish.

Alphahawk
03-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Nice looking fish. Sounds like a great day.

Regards

renko
03-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a great day! Hoping to get out that way next weekend with my dad, and I can't wait!

old sailor
03-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Good job !!

MNfisher
03-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice work man!! I believe the brown with both pectoral fins missing was a recent stocker, I've read they get clipped off before stocking them.

You fished a TM during generation at the dam?? Did you have like 8 splitshots on it? I tried that one time but couldn't keep the lure down unless I added a bunch of weight and I wasn't sure if that would affect how well it catches fish.

Thanks guys! No jad2t, the TM was at happy. And I had a 18-20" brown on for a second on the TM, finally would have been my nice brown on TM. It hit right at my feet when wading.

Travis C.
03-03-2013, 12:01 PM

They do clip them in some cases for later ID purposes but on the Caney a lot of the browns are stocked as 2"-4" fingerlings. In some years they'll supplement stocker size browns during problems with the others like last year or have a small stocking. That is another reason why a big brown is such an accomplishment for getting that large. In most cases they start out 6"-8" behind the bows/brooks and on the bottom of everyone in the rivers food chain.

Travis C.
03-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Nice trip Mike. Way to go!

browntrout
03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Nice fish. Sounds like a great day on the river. Thinking about starting back wade fishing up there. I really enjoyed it.

Roy

MNfisher
03-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Nice fish. Sounds like a great day on the river. Thinking about starting back wade fishing up there. I really enjoyed it.

Roy

It was my first time wading for trout, I will do again someday!

tcintn
03-03-2013, 04:36 PM
If all stays the same for tomorrow,I will see if those big browns and rainbows hit like they did last year at this time. I've got some new colors which we have of TM's and jig heads I am looking forward to trying.

jad2t
03-03-2013, 04:46 PM
If the weather and generation schedule permits, I might be there on Thursday morning wading with TM's and see how it goes. I still have intermittent success with those but eventually I'll get the hang of it.

Doc Marshall
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Awesome! I'm waiting on a replacement Coosa so I may simply buy some waders and head out to Happy at some point. I have a fly rig, but I always chicken out once I start getting action on rooster tails. I think I may have to get into the trout magnets too...