PDA

View Full Version : How should I set up these 3 combos?

wordty
02-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I need lots of advice on what line and what type fishing for three set ups I have. I don't want over 3 combos to haul around, so want these three to generally cover all types of fishing applications.

I have a 7 foot medium Vendetta on a BP Qualifier 6.4.1 - it has 10 pound mono line

I have another 7 foot medium Vendetta with a KVD Burner 7.0.1 reel - should this be my flipping stick and if so what type line and how strong?

I have a Symetre 2500FL spinner that I will be putting on a Lightning Rod or maybe a more expensive rod if I get to Bass Pro Friday and bite the bullet on something a bit more sensitive.

For bass fishing in rivers (Harpeth) and ponds / lakes around here, which combo should I use for what type fishing and what line should I put on the KVD reel and the Symetre reel?

Travis C.
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Some like high speed reels on flipping rods for line recovery but it pretty much a prefernce. I'd use either 15-20lb mono or 15-20lb fluoro on the flipping and double that as a spinnerbait rod too. If you go mono then you can throw frogs/topwaters on it as well but depending on your topwater the fluoro will hamper it due to that line being more dense than water (sinks).

For the spinning rod I'd go no heavier than 6lb of your preference just remember mono=floats/stretches, fluoro=sinks/little stretch, braid=no stretch/hard to break.

Spencer L
02-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I know you you said you don't want a lot if combos to carry but I honestly would have to suggest at least one more. I'd have to have at least one. meadium heavy rod with a high speed reel. Flippin and pitching or even just fishing cover with a worm or jig is way better on a heavier rod. But aside from that with the set ups you said. I'd go with the following,

The rod with the high speed reel I would go with 25 lb flouro line for you soft plastics and jigs

You medium rod with lower speed reel, 12lb flouro for traps and crankbaits

For the spinning rods, 10lb flouro for all finesse apps. Wacky rigged worms and shaky heads

TroutFiend
02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Spencer I noticed you mentioned The Harpeth. Any area lures you prefer for bass in there? I was working in Franklin today and hit the Pinkerton Park area and wore out the Rainbows. First time I have ever fished that river.