PDA

View Full Version : Apalachicola, Fl.

2atmsu
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Wife has decided we need a break before our busy season starts. does anyone have any advice on fishing there first week of March. Warm enough to kayak? Any help or advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

MNfisher
02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
I have never been to that area before, but can tell you that it is always warm enough to kayak! :D good luck and have fun!

old sailor
02-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Wife has decided we need a break before our busy season starts. does anyone have any advice on fishing there first week of March. Warm enough to kayak? Any help or advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

There is an island off coast a few miles called St. vincents. It used to be privately owned but is a national seashore now I think. It was inhabited by african exotic animals when I was there. There are or was 5 freshwater lakes on it ( all joined by water but one as I recall) Teeming with fish and wildlife including gators. We went out in a mother ship and towed a jon boat that we dragged across the beach into the lake. It was a great adventure!! That was more years ago than I like to think about; but, might be worth checking on. Applach (as it is affectionately called by locals) has lots to offer. Intra coastal, lake wimico, several rivers and "dead lake" is a gorgeous cypress swamp fed by a river (one of the hatchies I think). Lots to do, great seafood, have fun. Regards
http://fishingtn.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Reel Tune
02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Never been there either, but we're going to Cape San Blas in July and looking forward to hearing what you experience while down there. Fishing, and food is about all I'm interested in.

Thanks for all the info Old Sailor, looks like I can paddle to the backside of St. Vincent Island, and then portage to the lakes. You wouldn't mind sharing what you found in the lakes would you?

Jeremy

old sailor
02-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Never been there either, but we're going to Cape San Blas in July and looking forward to hearing what you experience while down there. Fishing, and food is about all I'm interested in.

Thanks for all the info Old Sailor, looks like I can paddle to the backside of St. Vincent Island, and then portage to the lakes. You wouldn't mind sharing what you found in the lakes would you?

Jeremy

Not at all but it was a long time ago. Lots of bass and bream is all I remember. It was like a private lake; they would see it coming and nail it. Down the road from applach east is a little hamlet called mexico beach. There is a resturant there called " The Fish House". Good food , clean , good prices. It's where the locals eat. Go farther east across the bridge about a mile on the left is a small sign thats says " crooked beach" if you turn left on to a sand road it will take you to a beautiful beach . There are some portable bathrooms, a good parking area and is well kept. Along the road I noticed some canals and a kayaker in there. My wife and I spend about a month a year in that area shelling. We walk 15 to 20 miles a day on a barrier island picking up shells. I love it as much as fishing!! I know Floridas northwest coast pretty well If yall have any questions on shelling etc let me know. Regards

2atmsu
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. If I get to fish I'll post what I found out. And food too, Jeremy. LOL