PDA

View Full Version : Budget Rod Info

wordty
02-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Putting an Abu Black Max baitcaster on a rod...will use 8 pound fluoro line...looking to spend less than what a Vendetta would be, more in the $50 and under range...suggestions appreciated...

BMelton
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Putting an Abu Black Max baitcaster on a rod...will use 8 pound fluoro line...looking to spend less than what a Vendetta would be, more in the $50 and under range...suggestions appreciated...

Right at fifty is the shimano sellus, they are nice, really nice. Might look at a berkley lighting also. Many good rods can be had for 50 and change.

Travis C.
02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Are you looking for anything specific? Does it have to be new?

Spencer L
02-19-2013, 03:20 AM
Berkley lightning rods are pretty dang good for the money. I have caught more fish on one of the split grip models than probably any rods I've owned.

Reel Tune
02-19-2013, 08:14 AM
I don't have any hands on experience with the Shimano Sellus, but I am a fan of Shimano's equipment. I do have hands on experience with the Berkley Lightening Spinning Rods only in light, and med light, and they were a good value.

Jeremy

Aquaholic6801
02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
I do like the Berkley Lightning Rods over all, but I would steer clear of the Shock line "Engineered for Superlines" I have had two of these rods and both have broken at the tip, both times on 3-4 lbs Sauger/Walleye\, I returned the first one and got the second one, third or fourth fish it broke at the tip again, I put a replacement tip on it since and seems to be holding up, but I do not like the over sized replacement tip......any body know where to go a look at replacement tips to pick the one I want, not the 3 pack generic replacement tips......Bass Pro doesnt have what I am looking for, and I dont want to order any online as its had to tell what I am looking at with out them in my hand.....

Travis C.
02-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Bass Pro doesnt have what I am looking for, and I dont want to order any online as its had to tell what I am looking at with out them in my hand.....

Call down to Cumberland Transit in Nashville and ask for Leo in the Fly Shop. He custom builds fly rods and usually carries some building supplies in the shop. Ronnie may be there as I don't know which day Leo works but I'd ask him being someone local. He's helped me out before with rod parts.

wordty
02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the input...lots of pluses on here for a lightning rod...I have one already on a spinning set up and love it...looks like I'll go with another one for bait casting...it is sensitive enough for me! I appreciate the advice...

Reel Tune
02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
I do like the Berkley Lightning Rods over all, but I would steer clear of the Shock line "Engineered for Superlines" I have had two of these rods and both have broken at the tip, both times on 3-4 lbs Sauger/Walleye\, I returned the first one and got the second one, third or fourth fish it broke at the tip again, I put a replacement tip on it since and seems to be holding up, but I do not like the over sized replacement tip......any body know where to go a look at replacement tips to pick the one I want, not the 3 pack generic replacement tips......Bass Pro doesnt have what I am looking for, and I dont want to order any online as its had to tell what I am looking at with out them in my hand.....

Look up Mudhole, they sell rod building supplies. I don't know if you really want to pay for shipping for just a tip on a sub $50 rod though.

Jeremy

Aquaholic6801
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah that's why I was looking for some where local as I don't care to pay shipping and would like to hold it in my hands to see if its what I want....