PDA

View Full Version : Bait Casting Reel

Alphahawk
02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Dont want anyone to faint over this but I am considering getting a bait casting reel...LOL. I have not used one since 2003. Which models should I be looking at? I would use it in several lakes but it would need to hold some pretty heavy braid as I would use it in the millfoil at Nickajack. Would like to keep the price around 100 bucks. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Regards

Travis C.
02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
You have been away from fishing too long.... LOL.

I have always been a Shimano guy up until they changed the design of the Curados in the 90's.

Now, I really like the Abu Garcia products. I know its not $100 but the red/black Black Max model that retails around $50 is just as smooth as my Curados. Everyone may have their loyalty as well but next time your in a Wal-mart which my be closer to you that other stores turn one.

Just my opinion.

browntrout
02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Alphahawk;29448]Dont want anyone to faint over this but I am considering getting a bait casting reel...LOL. I have not used one since 2003. Which models should I be looking at? I would use it in several lakes but it would need to hold some pretty heavy braid as I would use it in the millfoil at Nickajack. Would like to keep the price around 100 bucks. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Someone has hacked Alpha's account. Several things in this post give it away:
1. We are to assume he will be fishing for largemouth bass.
2. He is asking about a bait caster.
3. He is wanting to fish the millfoil.
4 He didnt mention trout magnet anywhere in his post.

I will be calling the police department to go by and do a check and make sure he is ok. It could be the toxins from the new knee affecting him.

Roy

old sailor
02-13-2013, 05:31 PM
A sad day to be sure. From microwave guides to bait casting reels , what a shock !! Travis is right the ambassadeur is a good choice. I like the 6600 bcx, it has a thumbbar and clicker and will hold a ton of line for rockfish. Very tough reels, I like mine as well as my expensive curado. http://fishingtn.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Regards

bfish
02-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I am hearing good things about the new Lew's Speed Spools for a $100 reel. What ever you choose will hold braid just fine.

BMelton
02-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Abu Review Sx is a little more than you want to spend, but nice. Maybe look at the Abu orra series,

tkwalker
02-13-2013, 09:14 PM
You have been away from fishing too long.... LOL.

I have always been a Shimano guy up until they changed the design of the Curados in the 90's.

Now, I really like the Abu Garcia products. I know its not $100 but the red/black Black Max model that retails around $50 is just as smooth as my Curados. Everyone may have their loyalty as well but next time your in a Wal-mart which my be closer to you that other stores turn one.

Just my opinion.

Yep !!! :) ABU's 5500 thru 7000 are all good ... Shimano and Quantum .... <'TK>< :eek:

SAMBOLIE
02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
I have owned most all brands over the years. I am down to 3 bait casters.
Shimano Castaic and Curado and most recently a Pro Qualifier PQX10.
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Pro-Qualifier-Baitcast-Reels/product/102287/

I can't speak for long term durability, however the PQ is probably the best casting and smoothest bc I have owned.

Braid is small so you can spool on the heavy stuff.

Alphahawk
02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks all for the info. Will look at the ABU...the Black. If I get back into bass fishing in a big way can always upgrade to better reel. But since I will probably only use it a few times in a year I think it will suit my needs.

Regards

Tightlines
02-14-2013, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=Alphahawk;29448]Dont want anyone to faint over this but I am considering getting a bait casting reel...LOL. I have not used one since 2003. Which models should I be looking at? I would use it in several lakes but it would need to hold some pretty heavy braid as I would use it in the millfoil at Nickajack. Would like to keep the price around 100 bucks. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Someone has hacked Alpha's account. Several things in this post give it away:
1. We are to assume he will be fishing for largemouth bass.
2. He is asking about a bait caster.
3. He is wanting to fish the millfoil.
4 He didnt mention trout magnet anywhere in his post.

I will be calling the police department to go by and do a check and make sure he is ok. It could be the toxins from the new knee affecting him.

Roy
Holy Smokes:

1. The Army attacks TN & KY fishermen
2. The Pope resigns
3. Alpha comes out of the closet as a bait caster

Is that the fat lady stepping up to the microphone?

ALANRAYG2
02-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I use the revo reels and some shimano reels. I would recommend getting a reel you can palm. Keep the weight as light as possible. And for milfoil I would recommend a flipping stick. I use 50 to 65 lb braid when I am in the grass.
I hope to be doing an inventory on my friend Bob's tackle. He passed about a year ago and his wife has enlisted me and another friend to sell his tackle. If you are not in a hurry.... I am sure he had something you could use for fishing the grass. I have been told he had about 200 rods and reels....several are new.
I love bassin in the grass!!!!!

Buccaneer
02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Check the Bass Pro fishing sale flyer for the upcoming Spring Fishing sale. Best value going is the Pro Qualifier for $79. It is a great reel and normally sells at $99. I own Shimano, Abu, Lews, Daiwa and for the money that Pro Qualifier is tough to beat. I fish braid on mine for frogs and flipping and they can hold up to some tough abuse.

old sailor
02-15-2013, 10:11 AM
I have a old chronarch left over from my bassin days that I never use anymore. I also have a lot of spare parts for these reels. If you are interested let me know.

regards

SAMBOLIE
02-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Here you go Alpha. A baitcast for beginners.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespeare-E-Z-Cast-Baitcast-Low-Profile-Reel/21089643

ALANRAYG2
02-15-2013, 06:58 PM
I have a old chronarch left over from my bassin days that I never use anymore. I also have a lot of spare parts for these reels. If you are interested let me know.

regards

I have one disassembled that needs parts. I don't remember what I needed. If you have the part would you be willing to sell it to me? My chronarch is probably a mid 90's model.

old sailor
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
I have one disassembled that needs parts. I don't remember what I needed. If you have the part would you be willing to sell it to me? My chronarch is probably a mid 90's model.

No problem, just let me know.

Reel Tune
02-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Alpha

I have a Shimano Citica that's about 3 years old, but used very lightly. I can spool it with 65lb Power Pro. I also have a 7'6" minus 2-3" Med Hevy Powell Swimbait rod rated for 1/4-3oz baits. PM me if interested. I will not ship though. This would be a great frog, flipping, or swimbait setup.

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2.html

http://www.powellco.com/powell-casting-rods/Swimbaits-Wakebaits

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/low_profile_baitcasting/Citica.html

Jeremy

Alphahawk
02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the input and offers. I am not new to bait casting....just been away from it for about 12 years. I am thinking about getting back into it to go after bass for Kayak Wars. Need to fish for all the specie I can to get some points. I can see that while it will be fun it will be tough to be close to the top in that.

Regards

Alphahawk
02-16-2013, 06:43 PM

regards

Thanks old sailor.

Alphahawk
02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Alpha

I have a Shimano Citica that's about 3 years old, but used very lightly. I can spool it with 65lb Power Pro. I also have a 7'6" minus 2-3" Med Hevy Powell Swimbait rod rated for 1/4-3oz baits. PM me if interested. I will not ship though. This would be a great frog, flipping, or swimbait setup.

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2.html

http://www.powellco.com/powell-casting-rods/Swimbaits-Wakebaits

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/low_profile_baitcasting/Citica.html

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy...will think about it.

Regards

Reel Tune
02-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Nothin' to loose, and a grin to gain, when you pull that Lewinsky bass from the slop. One thing you can't do with 2lb line.

Jeremy

ALANRAYG2
02-19-2013, 10:54 AM
No problem, just let me know.

sending you a PM

cjmmc
04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
im a big fan of my abu revo s. it retails for 129 and casts well and gets the job done. i have it paired with a 7ft veritas rod.

blink
04-17-2013, 05:53 AM
I have a bps pro qualifier that I love and a lews speed spool that I also love. Both were under $100 and have the dual braking.
I have my PQ set up with 50lb power pro on a MH rod and I can pull anything out with it