PDA

View Full Version : what kind of boat batteries do ya'll use???

nofish
02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
I have the 2 biggest marine deep cycle batteries walmart sells and they're freaking heavy. I'd like to get lighter batteries that last all day like these do. I just have my outboard hooked to one battery and it'll last many trips, but I still charge it before every trip. I run my trolling motor, lights, and depthfinder off of the other battery and it holds up through every trip so far for over a year. I'm fixing to buy an onboard charger to make charging easier and I think it'll help with longevity. The reason I want lighter batteries is because the rear of boat sits down low in the water and if I could shed some weight on my batteries I think it could help a little. I called alumaweld and they told me my boat is 17.5ft and the max hp rating is 90. I have a 90hp but most of the same size xpress boats I've seen have smaller motors, even direct from the factory. At this point I'm not in a position to be replacing my motor for a lighter one and I'd hate to lose the speed. I can get 45mph GPS and it helps cover some ground. I think my motor weighs 305lbs. It's and 84' 6 cylinder mercury. I'm going to start keeping my tackle in the front also.

nofish
02-07-2013, 09:15 PM
I just read in Wal-Mart's q&a section that my batteries weigh 61lbs and are rated for 870ish m.c.a. I think mercury says to have at least 525 mca for cranking 75-125hp motors. Since mca is cranking amps at 32 degrees Fahrenheit if I got a new battery how low could I go on the mca rating and expect consistent reliable power for starting?

nofish
02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Well the optima agm 34m 8006-006 is 22 1/2 lbs lighter, has 1000 mca/ 800 cca, and is intended for starting/cranking specifically. It's not intended for dual purpose.

Reel Tune
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
You could go to the Lithium Ion Battery to save weight, and possibly relocate one or both batteries further forward in the hull. That would come with a price though.

Jeremy

browntrout
02-08-2013, 09:26 AM
I would switch my lights and depth finder to the cranking battery if it was me, since it gets recharged while you are running. Granted they aren't that big of a draw but I have always run accessories on my cranking battery. As Jeremy mentioned you could go li-io and place that battery in the front of the boat if you have the room. Really that is about your only option that I could think of.

Roy

Aquaholic6801
02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I think its hard not to use the Walmart batteries.....My trolling batteries just took a dump on me a couple of weeks ago and really didnt want to spend the $200 to replace them....so I was going to bite the bullet and go get new ones, well when I pulled them out of their battery boxes....they were 18 months free replacement....it had been 15 months since purchased....I use them A LOT.......I upgraded to the next better battery (24 month free replacement, longer run time) cost me $28.00 extra.....;)

tkwalker
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I think its hard not to use the Walmart batteries.....My trolling batteries just took a dump on me a couple of weeks ago and really didnt want to spend the $200 to replace them....so I was going to bite the bullet and go get new ones, well when I pulled them out of their battery boxes....they were 18 months free replacement....it had been 15 months since purchased....I use them A LOT.......I upgraded to the next better battery (24 month free replacement, longer run time) cost me $28.00 extra.....;)

I have used ever brand of Battery that was out there, (Some free ones from sponsors) . I used 6 batteries on my guide boat ... Two main batteries in Parallel (12VDC) to run pumps/aero's, start etc ... My Merc had a 60 amp belt driven Alternator etc ... For my trolling motor 4 batteries set up in series/parellel to give me 24 VDC which doubles the Amperage (staying power) .

I just bought 2 new batteries for my Walleye boat ... The are from WalMart ... Johnson controls makes walmart batteries ... They have always given me the best service ... (note: Never intergrate old and new batteries in a series or parallel configuration) Now as far as the Litheuim Batteries ... I have never owned and for a marine application .. <'TK>< :)

Travis C.
02-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Is your tank in the rear with the batteries as well? That would be another 60-150lbs fuel depending on how many gallons yours held. Some Xpress holds 10-11 gal some 20 gal. Lighter batteries may not make a huge difference.

I'd try storing things forward in the boat before moving abunch of batteries around. The boat was designed in the layout and tested. More than likely it will take some work to relocated batteries if your model is fully carpeted out and already has compartments.

Also, I usually run my lights, depth finder, instruments and motor all on the cranking battery. That only the trolling motor is on the other two. Just be sure to keep it charged too and not leave a bilge or light then it will be a long troll (which I have had to do before) back to the dock.

nofish
02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Is your tank in the rear with the batteries as well? That would be another 60-150lbs fuel depending on how many gallons yours held. Some Xpress holds 10-11 gal some 20 gal. Lighter batteries may not make a huge difference.

I'd try storing things forward in the boat before moving abunch of batteries around. The boat was designed in the layout and tested. More than likely it will take some work to relocated batteries if your model is fully carpeted out and already has compartments.

Also, I usually run my lights, depth finder, instruments and motor all on the cranking battery. That only the trolling motor is on the other two. Just be sure to keep it charged too and not leave a bilge or light then it will be a long troll (which I have had to do before) back to the dock.

Yes my 18 gallon tank is in the back where the batteries are located. I'll take everyones advice into consideration and let you know what I decided. I think for the time being I'm going to try to move everything forward I can and go from there.

nofish
02-08-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll put my lights and accessories/depthfinder on the starting battery and just leave my trolling motor hooked up to the other battery.

Fish Whisperer
02-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Every battery I buy, I buy at batteries plus. There's something about buying a battery from people that know about batteries that gives you some peace of mind...

Aquaholic6801
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Every battery I buy, I buy at batteries plus. There's something about buying a battery from people that know about batteries that gives you some peace of mind...
Theres a lot less hassle if you have to return them for warranty if you get them from Walmart.....;)........Ive looked for different batteries there....they are damn sure are proud of some of them...I went there looking for some CR2032's (for hat clip on fishing lights) one time I thought Id get a deal...they were like $10 FOR 2 OF THEM....I remembered I had seen some at Northern Tools in a 9 pcs blister pack for $4.99 ........ pretty much a battery is a battery....

tkwalker
02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Theres a lot less hassle if you have to return them for warranty if you get them from Walmart.....;)........Ive looked for different batteries there....they are damn sure are proud of some of them...I went there looking for some CR2032's (for hat clip on fishing lights) one time I thought Id get a deal...they were like $10 FOR 2 OF THEM....I remembered I had seen some at Northern Tools in a 9 pcs blister pack for $4.99 ........ pretty much a battery is a battery....

Harry, WalMart carries the CR2032's as well ... Name brand ... (Go to the nice lady behind any WalMart Jewlery Counter ... They have just about any small appliance Battery from Watches, Utility, Hearing Ads , Toys .. A lot of these batteries are common) I had an undesirable experience with Battery Plus one time over a $65 Home alarm system battery ... But Hey ... If you need speciality batteries ... They may have the corner of the mkt ... But you can also find them on EBAY ... I also found Battery Plus to be pricey ...

But when it comes to deep cycle Lead Marine Batteries it is not rocket science ... Now the lighter weight Litheum batteries are $$ ... But I have being buying Motor cycle Lith Bats from walMart for my RiverHawk to start my 15 HP Johnson ... works fine ... Just a thought .... Just check your Amperage requirements ... ( I have never bought the full size Lith Marine Batteries)

Nofish ... I think Travis hit the nail on the head ... Now an inline 6 cyl, Merc 90 HP and an 115 HP and an inline 150 are all 100 Cubic Inch Motors ... Is your Boat newer than an 84 model ... Newer 90 HP's weighed less than 305# ... (They were 4 cyl's) OMC and Merc .. .. Move all of your weight that you can forward ... Have you added an after mkt livewell? Why is this such an issue that the transom sits close to the water ??

Also what Travis said ... The main boat power source should be connected to the start Battery .. It does get replinished somewhat while running ... So everything except the trolling motor should be connected to it ... <'TK><

nofish
02-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Harry, WalMart carries the CR2032's as well ... Name brand ... (Go to the nice lady behind any WalMart Jewlery Counter ... They have just about any small appliance Battery from Watches, Utility, Hearing Ads , Toys .. A lot of these batteries are common) I had an undesirable experience with Battery Plus one time over a $65 Home alarm system battery ... But Hey ... If you need speciality batteries ... They may have the corner of the mkt ... But you can also find them on EBAY ... I also found Battery Plus to be pricey ...

But when it comes to deep cycle Lead Marine Batteries it is not rocket science ... Now the lighter weight Litheum batteries are $$ ... But I have being buying Motor cycle Lith Bats from walMart for my RiverHawk to start my 15 HP Johnson ... works fine ... Just a thought .... Just check your Amperage requirements ... ( I have never bought the full size Lith Marine Batteries)

Nofish ... I think Travis hit the nail on the head ... Now an inline 6 cyl, Merc 90 HP and an 115 HP and an inline 150 are all 100 Cubic Inch Motors ... Is your Boat newer than an 84 model ... Newer 90 HP's weighed less than 305# ... (They were 4 cyl's) OMC and Merc .. .. Move all of your weight that you can forward ... Have you added an after mkt livewell? Why is this such an issue that the transom sits close to the water ??

Also what Travis said ... The main boat power source should be connected to the start Battery .. It does get replinished somewhat while running ... So everything except the trolling motor should be connected to it ... <'TK><

Its an 84 motor, 96 xpress, and no aftermarket livewell TK. Im going to take yalls advice and hook my lights and depth finder to my big motor battery. I dont have a huge issue with boat sitting low in the back, but a few people that have been in it have mentioned it. Last summer I gassed it and let off and gassed it and let off a few more times and water came in the boat, filled battery compartment, and my bilge pump failed. The boat took on so much water it flipped. I knew better then and I know better now not to let off the throttle like that cause water will come up over the back of the boat. Now if I let off tbe throttle real fast before the wave hits the back of the boat I give it a little gas and everything is fine.

Aquaholic6801
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah I have worked for Walmart going on 18yrs.....they are high on those CR2032s also...like $6 for 2.....the blister pack front Northern Tools usually last me a year.....

Aquaholic6801
02-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Also I disagree about wiring accessories to the starting battery... I would rather have dead trolling motor batteries than a dead starting battery for what ever reason...

tkwalker
02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
:confused:Also I disagree about wiring accessories to the starting battery... I would rather have dead trolling motor batteries than a dead starting battery for what ever reason...

Harry:

1. If you don't have a trolling motor, you have a runabout etc. Where would connect the accessory wiring ??

2. Go by every new boat dealer that you know and ask them where the boat systems/acc leads are connected. ??

3. All boat Mfr.'s since 1973 Have the wiring harness designed to feed the boats systems from the main start battery ... Simply for the reason That the battery is always being charged when the main motor is running ...

4. If the demand is to high on the accessory/systems ... Run two Batteries in Parellel ..... The biggest problem that people have with marine batteries regardless of application, Start or trolling ... Is waiting to long before they replace them and mixing old and new batteries in a series or parellel configuration ... <'TK><:)

Aquaholic6801
02-09-2013, 11:01 PM
On every boat I have ever had from cruisers, cuddy cabins run abouts and fishing boats I have always run an additional battery or batteries isolated from starting battery for accessories and put a 2 or 3 bank on board charger on them so I can just plug them up when I got back to the dock or the house....

tkwalker
02-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Yeah I have worked for Walmart going on 18yrs.....they are high on those CR2032s also...like $6 for 2.....the blister pack front Northern Tools usually last me a year.....

Harry, I am a Gold customer when it comes to a Northern Tool customer .. Probably get the $5/10/20 dollar discounts etc just like you ... Tools !!! Tools !!! Tools !!! Yea !!~ Thats Me !! ...

Now all Batteries are made in China ... mainly due to EPA... Tax's ... And Fees ... Do to our Brilliant Government !! ... And we won't even get in to the ECO Cars that will be coming out ... That the batteries have to be sent back to China because our EPA (rightfully so) says they are to dangerous to the environment ...(Boy what a shock to Al Gore !!!) What happened to the GM .. VOLT :eek:... ... So where you live in Old Hickory ... I think there is a Northern tool closer to you than me in Lebanon .. I have a 50 mile round trip to buy in Murfreesboro an inferior battery off brand .. that last only one year ... Walmart Name Brands last 2 to 3 years when it comes to CR 2032's .. Plus the $$$ fuel cost to buy them ..
My experince is not good with Northern tool Batteries ... When it comes to longevity ... Now lets move on to your Tripple chargers ... Next post ...

Yea ... I understand the Blister in Blisterpack at Northern Tool ... <'TK><

tkwalker
02-10-2013, 02:36 AM
On every boat I have ever had from cruisers, cuddy cabins run abouts and fishing boats I have always run an additional battery or batteries isolated from starting battery for accessories and put a 2 or 3 bank on board charger on them so I can just plug them up when I got back to the dock or the house....

Harry, This post started out by a member who is looking for everyday fix'is for on going fishing and boating problems ...

This site was set up to help our boating and Fishing community who are learning and especially with the economy like it is ... To disagree about about a normal standard electrical boating configuration to me is, well less than pompus but approaching it .. because you can afford above the norm ...

Now I have used all of the above on my guide boat ... It was a business and I needed it ..AND I COULD AFFORD IT ... But to the average fisherman and beginner you are sending the wrong message ...

What is really dishearting here ... Is that we at Fishingtn.com is a community service ... And the members here try to feed good info and spend a lot of time doing it ..."and in your opinion" We are saying the wrong things ... Even though we have decades of professional and Boating experience on this site .. Now I know you are a new and a very good member with 32 post Since January 6, 2013 ... But we don't need exotics ....

I have friends that are members who own Million $$ Charter boats ... that relate to the everyday Caney fisherman, Bass, Crappie, and even Catfish ...

Please continuing to be an active member ... I really appreciate the COE drive that you have been active in ... <'TK><:)

Aquaholic6801
02-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Well...You are correct that this is a community that shares, what works for one may not work for the other, he was looking for opinions and I gave him mine, take it for what its worth, its worked for me for a lot of years.....and might I say kept me from being stranded a few times.I may be new to YOUR Forum, but Im not new to forums, boating or fishing........

On that note you can delete my account, Ill keep up with whats going on with the COE as a lurker, but Im not going to have any body say Im pompus, or should I say on the verge of being pompus because I dont do things the way everybody else does.....

browntrout
02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Also I disagree about wiring accessories to the starting battery... I would rather have dead trolling motor batteries than a dead starting battery for what ever reason...

I think with the advancements in batteries we may see the day when there will only be 1 battery in a boat that will be cranking and trolling motor together. Then combine that with the capability to recharge that 1 battery while the boat is running would be great. Maybe 1 bigger Li-Io battery instead of 1 smaller cranking and 2 smaller trolling motor batteries. Just my opinion.

Roy

tkwalker
02-11-2013, 12:54 AM
I think with the advancements in batteries we may see the day when there will only be 1 battery in a boat that will be cranking and trolling motor together. Then combine that with the capability to recharge that 1 battery while the boat is running would be great. Maybe 1 bigger Li-Io battery instead of 1 smaller cranking and 2 smaller trolling motor batteries. Just my opinion.

Roy

Roy, I think this is coming around the corner ... Which actually would be easy to do ... You can divide cells and taps to do whatever ... The secret here is don't overload your start battery with on going drainage or double your staying power with two batteries ... Now the battery Industry will charge $$ about the same for the one battery that they would for two ... So Other than space you won't be saving a lot ... Plus All boat Mfr's wire harness their rigs to specific locations in the boat for multiple batteries ... So this will be another obstacle ...

I have lost my Start batteries only once about 30 years ago ... reason why... Old batteries and mixed a fairly new one with an older battery ... When in a 12 VDC configuration in parellel both batteries will equalize ... and average the weaker one which will suck the life out of the better one ...

The secret is .. Keep your batteries hot at all times ... even through the off seasons ... And when you notice the first time that you seem to have slow start during a day of fishing that you usualy don't have ... Replace the batteries ... start batteries about every 3 years ... Trolling batteries with constant use ... every 2 years ... You will never be left stranded ... <'TK>< :)