PDA

View Full Version : Tennesseans Are Stupid by COE STD's <'TK><

tkwalker
01-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Video That has been removed ... Thanks Rick !!

Here - now you can link anyone of you choice to the Corp’s interpretation of the civilian boater’s intellect.

The video is intended to exemplify, You... Here’s how the story goes:

Because you are apparently a quadriplegic, someone gets a team of caring volunteers to take you, and a friend who shares the same physical affliction, to the boat launch ramp. The team sets you and your physically challenged co-pilot in a boat. There is no steering on the boat. That’s quite all right, because have no use of your arms. There is no throttle or shift controls for the same reason. If there are no engine and steering controls, it make perfect sense to leave off an engine altogether, as steering a boat out of harms way would be impossible, considering your physical condition. The launch team sends you off toward the most treacherous man-made waters that scientific minds can stir up, with the absolute certainty that you willnot read the warning signs, because you are after all a dummy, and have no brain what-so-ever. The rest of the action is apparently intended to alarm or surprise those who do have a brain, completely validating the fact that the video was indeed a thoroughly thought-out educational product of military bureaucracy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iDrwK9MUR8I#!

I wonder what it cost?

--R--

browntrout
01-21-2013, 07:33 AM
I thought the same thing when I saw the video. Now granted it does show you the force and magnitude of the water and helps to reinforce the ideas of wearing your PFD and having respect for the water. I appreciate the safety initiatives by the COE but as they say on Monday Night Football "C'mon Man". The majority of us are not that stupid. Now granted I have seen a few that are but watching 10,000 videos wont change their stupidity. I like all of us was taught from an early age to respect the water and always use caution and be prepared for the unexpected. Thank goodness we have the COE looking after us.

Roy.

old sailor
01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
I am offended by this video. I am also pissed at the corps for putting me on their website, and someone told me they passed out pamphlets in Baxter with me on them. I must assume they think I am operating a boat in an unsafe manner ; and that most certainly is not the case ! They will hear from me.http://fishingtn.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

browntrout
01-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I am offended by this video. I am also pissed at the corps for putting me on their website, and someone told me they passed out pamphlets in Baxter with me on them. I must assume they think I am operating a boat in an unsafe manner ; and that most certainly is not the case ! They will hear from me.http://fishingtn.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

Maybe you should ask for royalties. Better yet we could charge for you to give autographs on the pamphlets at the Nashville meeting. We could use the revenues to buy us some green bellied spring lizards.

Roy

old sailor
01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Yellow belly.

bd-
01-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Old sailor, it seems like the driving force behind some of this may be that the Corps has been sued in at least a couple instances after people had accidents below dams. You said you were being depicted on a Corps brochure - were you involved in some sort of accident that was photographed, and if so, was there any litigation by anybody involved in your accident? I'm assuming not. Just curious.

bd-
01-21-2013, 09:44 AM
The majority of us are not that stupid. Now granted I have seen a few that are but watching 10,000 videos wont change their stupidity.

Beware of that logic, browntrout. That's what the Corps will argue - some people are so stupid that no amount of education will save them, and so the only solution is to barricade the dams to keep those people from being killed.

browntrout
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Beware of that logic, browntrout. That's what the Corps will argue - some people are so stupid that no amount of education will save them, and so the only solution is to barricade the dams to keep those people from being killed.

No BD these people will just go somewhere else to fish. See attached from yesterday where 2 fishermen had o be rescued. You cant protect people from their own selves.

Roy

old sailor
01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Old sailor, it seems like the driving force behind some of this may be that the Corps has been sued in at least a couple instances after people had accidents below dams. You said you were being depicted on a Corps brochure - were you involved in some sort of accident that was photographed, and if so, was there any litigation by anybody involved in your accident? I'm assuming not. Just curious.

No accident, they photographed me fishing downstream of sluice. It is on their website and you can plainly see I am in no danger. Bow into the current ; boat sitting high in the water. I was really about only one fishing during this period , and I guess they needed a photo. I did not have a problem with the website; however, I am not pleased they are using me to promote their cause! Look it over and tell me what you think, please.

Regards

old sailor
01-21-2013, 02:39 PM
No BD these people will just go somewhere else to fish. See attached from yesterday where 2 fishermen had o be rescued. You cant protect people from their own selves.

Roy

I'm with you Roy, I have seen goups punished because of a few morons all my life. Never has set well with me , never will. There are things that than can happen that cannot be helped but you cannot legislate for bad judgement.

j19bill
01-21-2013, 08:59 PM

Roy

Proof of natural selection.

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.

Jdkxtreme
01-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Like I tell my half brother. How was he the fastest swimmer out of One Million?

tkwalker
01-22-2013, 12:47 AM

Because of the existing regulations, signage, advisory methods, dynamic warning devices, and responsible boat operators, there are far fewer fatalities within the tail-waters, than any other parts of the system – upstream or down.

With all due respect to the families who have experienced a tragic loss within the tail-waters, I will point out that the overwhelming majority of those losses were the result of failure to comply with well-established warnings, ordinary boating awareness and pilot skills, or common sense.

There are internet schedules posted for each dam’s discharge time, and phone numbers available to confirm that schedule. There are very legible signs warning of discharge turbulence, and the distances required to avoid troubled waters. There are warning beacons, klaxon, or sirens, well in advance of discharge.

Under Federal Regulations – Title 36, CFR, Chapter 3, part 327, operators of boats under these advisories,

“shall be presumed to be responsible for its use on project property.” This is why a Federal Judge found the Corps not guilty in 2009 from a drowning case in a tailrace that year.
In the immortal words that southern gentleman, Ron White, “You can’t fix stupid”. ....

But all Tennesseans aren't ... Ignorance ( a Greek word to ignore) doesn't mean you are stupid ... But Stupid is defined by simply not having the IQ Intelligence Quotient to learn or have common sense ... This is at a street corner, Driving a car, making any kind of right decision.... Using 14 deaths in 43 years is Statistically Absurd !!!! .. <'TK><

browntrout
01-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Because of the existing regulations, signage, advisory methods, dynamic warning devices, and responsible boat operators, there are far fewer fatalities within the tail-waters, than any other parts of the system – upstream or down.

With all due respect to the families who have experienced a tragic loss within the tail-waters, I will point out that the overwhelming majority of those losses were the result of failure to comply with well-established warnings, ordinary boating awareness and pilot skills, or common sense.

There are internet schedules posted for each dam’s discharge time, and phone numbers available to confirm that schedule. There are very legible signs warning of discharge turbulence, and the distances required to avoid troubled waters. There are warning beacons, klaxon, or sirens, well in advance of discharge.

Under Federal Regulations – Title 36, CFR, Chapter 3, part 327, operators of boats under these advisories,

“shall be presumed to be responsible for its use on project property.” This is why a Federal Judge found the Corps not guilty in 2009 from a drowning case in a tailrace that year.
In the immortal words that southern gentleman, Ron White, “You can’t fix stupid”. ....

But all Tennesseans aren't ... Ignorance ( a Greek word to ignore) doesn't mean you are stupid ... But Stupid is defined by simply not having the IQ Intelligence Quotient to learn or have common sense ... This is at a street corner, Driving a car, making any kind of right decision.... Using 14 deaths in 43 years is Statistically Absurd !!!! .. <'TK><

Can I get an amen.........AMEN!

old sailor
01-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Can I get an amen.........AMEN!

Here Here !!

Reel Tune
01-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Completely agree with you TK.

Fishaholic
01-23-2013, 11:53 PM
here is the story about that rescue kinda convenient if you ask mehttp://now.msn.com/fishermen-greg-and-gary-cherry-trapped-by-dam

tkwalker
01-25-2013, 02:09 AM
here is the story about that rescue kinda convenient if you ask mehttp://now.msn.com/fishermen-greg-and-gary-cherry-trapped-by-dam

This has nothing to do with a tailrace ..... A small river 12 foot elevation dam ... These guys motor failed ... even if they went over it... I have paid good money to ride the rafts of the Alcoa with bigger drops than that ... They anchored it for stoppage and it worked ... no different than flying a Cessna 152 and the motor fails ... I had wraither be on the river !! Wearing a PFD than a parachute ... I have done both !! <'TK><