PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic

gboyce
01-03-2013, 08:54 AM
While I normally dont post stuff like this and keep my family life private I wanted to let everone know about a possible side effect of Tamiflu. There is a side effect called Steven Johnson Syndrome that the doctors do not really tell you about. Please look it up on the internet before you give your kids Tamiflu. I post this for 2 reasons. One the FLU is rampant right now in this area and Second and most important my daughter is in the hospital right now with this condition (from taking the Tamiflu). This condition can be fatal depending on the body's reaction. Fortunately my daughter while in misery ATM seems to have a milder case of it and is doing ok. We are in a watch and wait mode with her as there is no treatment for this and expect her to be in the hospital for several more days. IF you do give kids or grand kids this stuff and they break out in any hives or blister go to the ER immediately. We took her back to her doctor several times and he kept insisting it was a side effect of the flu.
Also I ask that you keep her in your prayers her name is Emma

Travis C.
01-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

I will be praying for you guys and little Emma.

Transplanted Sportsman
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Prayers sent!! GB, I hope your daughter gets well soon and she recovers 100%!!

Fish Whisperer
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
I've never heard if that.. I hope your daughter recovers quickly!

bd-
01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
You'll be in our thoughts - SJS is scary stuff. Apparently, it can be triggered by a wide variety of medications, not just tamiflu. Even Ibuprofen is on the list. Sometimes doctors don't even know what triggers it.

Hang in there and keep us updated on her condition.

bd

Reel Tune
01-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Our prayers are with Emma, you and your family.

browntrout
01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
While I normally dont post stuff like this and keep my family life private I wanted to let everone know about a possible side effect of Tamiflu. There is a side effect called Steven Johnson Syndrome that the doctors do not really tell you about. Please look it up on the internet before you give your kids Tamiflu. I post this for 2 reasons. One the FLU is rampant right now in this area and Second and most important my daughter is in the hospital right now with this condition (from taking the Tamiflu). This condition can be fatal depending on the body's reaction. Fortunately my daughter while in misery ATM seems to have a milder case of it and is doing ok. We are in a watch and wait mode with her as there is no treatment for this and expect her to be in the hospital for several more days. IF you do give kids or grand kids this stuff and they break out in any hives or blister go to the ER immediately. We took her back to her doctor several times and he kept insisting it was a side effect of the flu.
Also I ask that you keep her in your prayers her name is Emma

I will keep her in my prayers. I had a bad reaction to Tamiflu a couple of years ago. Got to spend about 8 hours in the ER. The flu was bad enough but the reaction that I had to Tamiflu was 10X worse.

Jdkxtreme
01-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Sending prayers. Hope she gets better

After working in the ER for over 10 years I saw this alot. Mostly in children. I saw it from several different meds. And some without meds.We see it more in kids because of the weaker immunine system.We see it more in the winter than any other year from so many people self medicating with over the counter meds.

Hope she gets better soon. It;s painfull. Atleast in Middle TN we have great resources for Dr's...

MNfisher
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Emma will be in our prayers! Hope for quick recovery!

tkwalker
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Emma will be in our prayers! Hope for quick recovery!

X2

We will be thinking of Emma and your family <'TK><

PS My adopted Granddaughter is also named Emma...

creeksmallie
01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Prayers are with your family and Emma .

nomad60
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Wow, something else to think about...I'd never heard of this (SJS)

My prayers go out to your daughter and I hope she's feeling better in no time.

Alphahawk
01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Praying for your daughter and family.

Regards

gboyce
01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Just wanted to give a fast update. Just got back from hospital and while she is getting a few more blisters and spots on her legs and feet she seems to a bit better. She had more energy today ad even manage to win a bingo 3 times netting 2 stuffed bears and a puzzle game. Vanderbilt children's hospital is truly amazing. They have been very thoughtful with her and their professionalism is truly the best in the business IMO. Apparently she got a Tech to score her a blue ICEE from the OR dept last night since they don't have a machine in the children's hospital LOL

And yes this can be cause by several medications and for various other reasons. I think my first post a a vent post because after talking to her main Peds doc I felt he blew us off by telling us how great the drug was and he had never saw this reaction before from it. After reading JD post I am unsure how he has never seen this!!! Plus after more research Tamiflu may reduce symptoms by one day or so. I would rather put up with grumpy daughter at home for an extra day or two than very sick little girl in the hospital for what maybe a week or more.

Thank you everyone for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers

Greg

MPD816
01-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Good news to hear your daughter is doing better. But our prayers will be with you until a full recovery. Thank you also for spreading the word, I have never heard of this until you shared it with us.

j19bill
01-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Glad to hear that she is getting better. I had never heard for this condition.

Jdkxtreme
01-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Glad to hear she's getting better.never under estimate the power of prayer.. Vandy is such a great place for children.

old sailor
01-04-2013, 09:36 AM
We believe in praying specifically and aloud at our house and Emma will not be forgotten.

gboyce
01-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and prayers. It appears my baby is going to be able to come home tomorrow. She was able to eat a whole omelet and milkshake for breakfast (yuck) today so they took her IV out and the doctor told my wife that they cant do anything there we cant do at home. It will still be rough for a bit as her lips eyes and throat are still peeling the skin from the blisters but it will be better to have her here where we can dote on her with out someone coming in ever hour or so to check temp BP ect.. My wife was also very appreciative of all the thoughts. In a way you guys have replaced our military family from when I retired! Again thanks so much for everything.

tkwalker
01-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and prayers. It appears my baby is going to be able to come home tomorrow. She was able to eat a whole omelet and milkshake for breakfast (yuck) today so they took her IV out and the doctor told my wife that they cant do anything there we cant do at home. It will still be rough for a bit as her lips eyes and throat are still peeling the skin from the blisters but it will be better to have her here where we can dote on her with out someone coming in ever hour or so to check temp BP ect.. My wife was also very appreciative of all the thoughts. In a way you guys have replaced our military family from when I retired! Again thanks so much for everything.

Fantastic !!!! ............. <'TK>< :)

Jim
01-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Best wishes for a continued recovery. I am sure it will be great to be back at home for everyone.

Jim

browntrout
01-04-2013, 10:27 PM

Great is the power of prayers. I will continue to pray for her healing.

Roy