PDA

View Full Version : Wally Marshall - "Mr. Crappie"

wordty
12-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Went to the Cowboys / Saints game yesterday and was in a suite with Wally...what a nice, down to Earth, friendly guy he is. We talked all about fishing, equipment, and fishing locations throughout the game off and on. Wondered who has had luck with which products of his??? Anyone out there used much of his stuff? He has some new things coming out soon that looked great and I was glad to hear about his upcoming tv show that he is filming on public lakes only so that anyone who sees the show can fish the same spots. Merry Christmas everyone!

Alphahawk
12-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I have quite a few of the "Wally Marshall" rods when he was with Bass Pro. I don't know how much input he had in them but they are great rods. I have them from 9 feet up through 16 feet. Lew's is now making his line of rods and they really resemble the line he had at Bass Pro.

Regards

ALANRAYG2
12-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I have used his spinning reels that Bass Pro sold. I love them for crappie fishing. they are perfect for slow retrieves casting small jigs and road runners. I think the ones I have are the Wally Marshall deluxe spinning reels in the larger size. I have and use Shimano spinning reels too. The ones I have are the 2500 and 2000. The drags on the Shimano are set at the minimum are still a little to tight for me. The Wally Marshall drags are systems are made for panfish and not bass. I can get a perfect setting with them. Over all I like the wally Marshall deluxe spinning reels. I think they were made in two sizes. I prefer the larger size because the spool diameter is larger. The line retrieve is perfect for casting jigs and Road Runners for crappie. Given an opportunity I would buy a bunch of the Bass Pro reels that were designed by Wally Marshall. For $20 they are unbeatable. and let me say that I have caught crappie in the 3 lb range without worry the reels would fail. The drags are smooth and the reels are solid. I also bouth a Bass Pro Qualifier a few years ago. Took it fishing and lost several big crappie as the drag was grabbing and sticking. I think the spools were bad. Needless to say they were returned for a refund.
In summary, I would use Wally Marshall reels exclusively if I could get them. "PAN FISHING ONLY" If I'm bass, sauger or other fishing I will use heavier gear.