PDA

View Full Version : This is a start !! <'TK><

tkwalker
12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
To follow up on what has been recently posted. I think this is a start for the nation to start looking in to ... In many counties in Tennessee, inhouse Sheriff Deputies have been on duty while school is in cession. I think it would be a good model for the Country. <'TK><
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/schools-around-us-increas_0_n_2313110.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D246580

j19bill
12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
I agree while in going to MJ High School in the late 90's we had a county deputy in the school. While learning (or staring out the window thinking about fishing) i remember police cars cruising the parking lots every so often.

Sent from my Droid complete with typos.

Travis C.
12-17-2012, 01:55 PM
That is how it was at my high school as well. But in all fairness if there were 3 on duty that day in our town then 2 of them had nothing else to do but hang out at the school. :D

I'd much rather have firearms around in places of need handled by trained professionals than not relying on the pay-for-permit public. That is not a back handed comment to those non-uniform public who take great pride and responsiblity in carrying so please don't take it that way. For every one of you there is several out there who have one to have one and have no business with it.

spottedbass
12-17-2012, 02:10 PM
For every one of you there is several out there who have one to have one and have no business with it.

The same thing could be said about a car.

Travis C.
12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
The same thing could be said about a car.

That is true but not exactly and "apples-apples" contrast. People die almost 4-1 in car related causes over firearm homicides. Cars are far more dangerous. Incidents which happend Friday draw more attention due to their nature and bring about the gun conversation.

Both causes of death could use a little better regulation/education in my opinion.

tkwalker
12-18-2012, 03:23 AM
That is true but not exactly and "apples-apples" contrast. People die almost 4-1 in car related causes over firearm homicides. Cars are far more dangerous. Incidents which happend Friday draw more attention due to their nature and bring about the gun conversation.

Both causes of death could use a little better regulation/education in my opinion.

More regulatons/education in Car Deaths !!! .. Yea, It is a law but how do you stop Phone Texting? ... Constant Talking on cells phones driving on the interstate where you see drivers varying their speeds from 55 MPH to 75 MPH speeds... If it was a Buick or a Mercury Marquie I could understand old senior folks like myself (I don't drive like that, or do any of the above nor own either vehicle) Seat belts ... Education ??? We have spent Millions in Education on this subject in Tennessee ... It is kind of like all of the ads and $$$ spent on Teenage sex and Condoms ... Has anything changed ... NO!! Like a lot of our politcians ...Let's just through $$$ at it ... That will take care of it ...

It is time when people have to be definitive and and directly responsible for their actions and their family's action ... Conn Tragedy (She shielded here son from the outside world do to his type of Down Syndrome)

Quote here .. Both causes of death could use a little better regulation/education in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I would really like to know how you would fix it ...

What education would have prevented the kid to do what he did Friday ??? What law was broken ???
1. All three of these guns where legally bought by his mother who was in to sport shooting. He did not purchase them !! None where ASSAULT WEAPONS, I have a 1970 model 22 cal semi automatic Remington rifle .. Great hunting squirrel gun, The only difference beween my little 22 and the bushmaster ... was the cal. and game size .. It was designed for Deer, Bear, etc... And it was left in the trunk ... and not used in the school .. Which he killed her first.. (She must have really pissed him off ?? ) He could have used my Remington and done the same thing but when the dust settles ... My Remington will be legal and the AR15 won't because it looks like an assult weapon ... Folding stock, hand grips etc ... Hey It has to be the guns fault!! Just like SUV's are at fault because they wipe out a Smart car ???(Not the drivers) Or better yet it is the Semi Truckers Fault when he wipes out a SUV ... Where is the true logic ...

Okay let's call Autos Apples and Guns Oranges ... Keep them seperate ... Please answer the following questions ... Strictly your suggestions ...

2. OKAY .. I want to know directly ... What regulation/Education or law do you want to see on GUNS that would have prevented this Catastorphe last Friday ... ... That is not already in place !! (Oranges)

3. I want to see what reg/edu or law you would like to see to reduce the auto deaths in this country that is not already in place . (Apples)

Now I know of a few that could have helped the Conn Situation but that is MY OPNION ... I want to know what suggestions you have ... <'TK><

Andy M
12-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Check out this ink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010–2011)

Guns are not the problem, anyone with common sense should be able to realize this. We live in a world where evil is present and sin is often glorified. Unfortunately many more "unborn" children are murdered daily and it's called a choice, there is no memorials flowers or tears for those innocent ones.

I apologize if this is to "preachy" and a little bit off topic. My 2 cents.

browntrout
12-18-2012, 03:42 PM
I know this is somewhat unrelated but to show you how things have changed, when I was in high school(graduated in 1984) me and all my buddies carried our guns in the back window of our pickups. We took them to school and during ag class we would go out back and sight them in. We all carried knives also and the teachers would even ask us to borrow them. Never once was there a problem with any of that. I never even thought about using my gun or my knife as a weapon against another person. What has changed? The gun is still a gun and a knife is still a knife. We as a society have changed....you still see no protests wanting to remove violence from TV or videos games. Just lets get rid of the guns. Wait we will have to get rid of fertilizer because that is what Timothy McVeigh used to blow up the Alfred Murrah Federal building in OK. We will also need to get rid of alcohol and cars because we know how many people die because of drunk driving. Airplanes have got to go because on 9/11 they were used as a weapon.......NEED I CONTINUE?

Travis C.
12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
For starters, I didn't initally compare it to cars. It was a response to a previous post stating "The same thing could be said about a car" pertaining to my comment dealing with guns. I was responding that cars and guns can't be loped into the same box as the same problem. And it is not.... There are far more cars out there at the hands of far more idiots than guns. There are far more people who die texting or "insert cause" in a car or due to it than sitting a movie theater or classroom shot.

While its the same end result and the same perons error in judgement or whatever that may have caused that result both need attention but are not the same degree of problem. That is all I was saying on that.

There is nothing that could fix either problems and their magnitudes with a wave of the wand or couple changes here/there. With the messed up government, what are we left with being able to do other than make laws or regulations or remove either? I am not familiar enough with all the laws/regs to say if they are working or need to be looked at more closely. As far as education, we can always benefit from continued education in anything but that can only take you as far as the system its put in or the individual. At some point people have to be accountable.

I am not anti-gun....or anti-car for that matter but I do know enough that no matter what laws or regulations or lack there of you have this one simple fact remains. You can't stop crazy.

In this messed up world we live in things like this happen. There is not a law, regulation or idea out there that can prevent these types of unfortunate and heart aching events in the future. They are a reminder us that this is not our home. If its this bad and crazy or inhumane with His presence then how bad can it be without.

Travis C.
12-18-2012, 05:44 PM
I know this is somewhat unrelated but to show you how things have changed, when I was in high school(graduated in 1984) me and all my buddies carried our guns in the back window of our pickups. We took them to school and during ag class we would go out back and sight them in. We all carried knives also and the teachers would even ask us to borrow them. Never once was there a problem with any of that. I never even thought about using my gun or my knife as a weapon against another person.

I agree with you browntrout and it was like that minus the knives in my high school in the late 90's. If you were to go hunting before or after school you could check you're gun in with the principal and it would be kept safe until after school where you were allowed to leave with it. There was no freak out or media swarm because a gun was at school. As long as you were up front about it and let them know it wasn't a big deal but that could have been where I went to school. Kids routinely missed school for bringing in tobacco or drove tractors to school.

SAMBOLIE
12-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Check out this ink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010–2011)

Guns are not the problem, anyone with common sense should be able to realize this. We live in a world where evil is present and sin is often glorified. Unfortunately many more "unborn" children are murdered daily and it's called a choice, there is no memorials flowers or tears for those innocent ones.

I apologize if this is to "preachy" and a little bit off topic. My 2 cents.
Too many without common sense these days. GOD has been removed from our daily lives to avoid offending various non CHRISTIANS. If we expect the rewards granted by God to Christians then we must honor God.

I am not trying to break any forum rules by talking religion, however, I make no apology for my feelings in public. Maybe our government should stand up for all that our military has fought and sacrificed for.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. If you do not believe in celebrating Christmas then I am sure your employer will let you work that day. Why else would you take a holiday?